Swine Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swine Flu

I have reviewed the actions that many other countries havetaken to contain and avoid the outbreak of swine flu within their borders. japan is screening all incoming passengers. costa rica has two confrimed cases and is screening passengers. cuba has discontinued flights to mexico. and many other countries are doing similar things..... napolitano says its too late to contain it here.....what does she know? evry flight that arrives here has the potential of spreading the disease.... we need to close the border with mexico and we need to monitor all arrivals. NOW ! it has been 5 days since this story has been reported. and our govt has done very little to keep these new cases from arriving here. americans will die from this flu. how many will it take before the costs of taking these steps out weigh the benifits? 20, 100, 1000?
    about 30,000 americans die each year from the flu and it is a serious disease.thsi has the potential to be exponentially worse than our yearly loss of life. WHO raised the threat level to 5 with 6 being a pandemic. This is happening fast and we need to act fast.
    yesterday a cruise ship arrived in kona that was repositioned from mexico. it was in mexico last week so was its crew. it is going to be very easy for this to spread.
    if we do everything we can and get hit hard it will also be a shame if we do everything we can and it doesnt really become the worst case scenario we have lost nothing.
    if we do nothing and we get hit hard its it will be a crime.
    sorry if i sound full of doom and gloom but we have to be aware of what is possible and what is at risk.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
      napolitano says its too late to contain it here.....what does she know? evry flight that arrives here has the potential of spreading the disease.... we need to close the border with mexico and we need to monitor all arrivals. NOW ! it has been 5 days since this story has been reported. and our govt has done very little to keep these new cases from arriving here. americans will die from this flu. how many will it take before the costs of taking these steps out weigh the benifits? 20, 100, 1000?
      I had to laugh when I read this. It still amazes me how naïve the American public is about the agenda of the federal government and the New World Order architects who control it. Do you really believe the banking elite and military-industrial complex haven’t thought this through? The prescription you espouse in your post is specifically outlawed by the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) signed by President George W. Bush, Mexican President Vincente Fox, and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin on March 23, 2005.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

laugh all you want....my post has nothing to do with the fearmongering conspiracy theories espoused all over the web by left and right wing wackos.
        it has to do with public safety. our govt can close the borders anytime they choose for security and safety. i am not talking draconian measure excluding everyone. they cannot exclude us citizens and legal residents and it would only need to be for a few weeks till this flu takes a turn for the better. maybe it isnt the best approach but it certainly needs to be considered. and if its not done for whatever good reasons they have there should certianly be better controls over incoming travelers. i truley hope i am wrong about all this, but have you been following the news?

This is from the SPP you cited:
        Agree that the imposition and removal of veterinary or public health measures on the movement of people, animals, and goods, under our national laws and international obligations, will not be more restrictive or maintained longer than necessary to achieve the veterinary or public health objective so as to avoid unnecessary interference with the movement of people and goods within North America.

so the government(s) do have the right to control movement as long as needed for public and national safety.
        Last edited by escondido100; April 29, 2009, 08:57 PM. Reason: added reference

Comment

to clarify and to put a source on my view i will cite this from WHO from a report posted today on their website:

Phase 6, the peak phase of the WHO pandemic scale, is defined as the time when the virus has caused sustained community outbreaks in more than one WHO region. Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the WHO's assistant director-general for health security, suggested that phase 6 may not be far off.

"A pandemic means we have spread of this new virus in multiple countries and multiple regions," he said in response to the question whether a pandemic is actually under way. "If this continues, we expect it will be in other countries and other regions."

He also called phase 5 "a situation in which the likelihood [of a pandemic] is very high to inevitable."

Chan, in her prepared statement, said, "At this stage, effective and essential measures include heightened surveillance, early detection and treatment of cases, and infection control in all health facilities.

"This change to a higher phase of alert is a signal to governments, to ministries of health and other ministries, to the pharmaceutical industry and the business community that certain actions should now be undertaken with increased urgency, and at an accelerated pace."

Chan said she has "reached out" to manufacturers of antiviral drugs to assess capacity and all options for boosting production and has also contacted vaccine manufacturers that can contribute to producing a pandemic vaccine. She also has talked with donor countries, the World Bank, UNITAID, and the GAVI Alliance about helping in the swine flu fight.

She warned that influenza "may cause mild disease in affluent countries, but more severe disease, with higher mortality, in developing countries."

"No matter what the situation is, the international community should treat this as a window of opportunity to ramp up preparedness and response," Chan said.

"Above all, this is an opportunity for global solidarity as we look for responses and solutions that benefit all countries, all of humanity. After all, it really is all of humanity that is under threat during a pandemic," she stated.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
            our govt can close the borders anytime they choose for security and safety. i am not talking draconian measure excluding everyone. they cannot exclude us citizens and legal residents and it would only need to be for a few weeks till this flu takes a turn for the better. maybe it isnt the best approach but it certainly needs to be considered. and if its not done for whatever good reasons they have there should certianly be better controls over incoming travelers. i truley hope i am wrong about all this, but have you been following the news?

This is from the SPP you cited:
            Agree that the imposition and removal of veterinary or public health measures on the movement of people, animals, and goods, under our national laws and international obligations, will not be more restrictive or maintained longer than necessary to achieve the veterinary or public health objective so as to avoid unnecessary interference with the movement of people and goods within North America.

so the government(s) do have the right to control movement as long as needed for public and national safety.
            *sigh* You’re missing the point. The point is, whether or not to close the border is no longer a unilateral decision by the U.S. They now need permission from both Canada and Mexico before taking any action that is border related. You seemed to imply it was as simple as a Presidential order with your mythical “anytime they choose” claim.

I think you understated with the postulation that this “isn’t the best approach.” If the idea is to keep people exposed to the virus out of the U.S. mainland, a massive number of illegal immigrants that cross the border daily in places where it is unfeasable to stop them, will foil any useful effect of closing the border. The only practical effect of such a measure will be to prevent the “good guys” from entering. This is after all, the reason we are building a multi-million$$$ steel fence on the border.

The real question you should be asking is — will the President succumb to any amount of public pressure to close the border? It was question #1 by media reporters in the press conference Mr. Obama held last night. I’m hardly surprised by his answer.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Working at a well known retail chain I just heard that our stock of Anti Bacterials & Rubbing Alcohol is low to none in stock until we get MORE back in.

Comment

I think I have it....

I broke out in sausages this morning.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Well, when you start sneezing bacon, let us know. I'll go light a candle for you.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

It can't be swine flu Tatt until you are covered in Rashers.
                    People are issued to every houshold about warnings. Masks are being given out and I will send one to SusieMisajohn so her piggies don't recognise her.

Comment

Social distancing

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ighlight=preps

Prepare for social distancing.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a craving for corn cobs and day old garbage. I splashed into a mud puddle this morning. Miss Piggy is looking pretty sexy.

Should I be concerned?
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Miss Piggy is looking pretty sexy. Should I be concerned?
                          Only if you know it's not easy being green and you find yourself humming "Rainbow Connection". But then you don't have Swine Flu, so you're all good anyway!

Someday we'll find it- the Rainbow Connection! The lovers, the dreamers, and meeeee! La da da di da da dah da da dahhhhh!

Hmm. Perhaps the Swine Flu really IS the Rainbow Connection, come to think of it! Interspecies connection and all...

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Re: Get real

I love that thread.
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Within one week I went from having my first discussion with my daughter about this swine flu to its presence now being detected in state to the first case of it suspected on her campus.

She has to get through finals and then head home...that is another week away, including a 4hr bus ride, 6 hr plane ride and another 1h plane ride to our isle.

This week will have me in a panic zone until she gets home.

pax

Comment

VP Biden's remarks about avoiding air travel and being in confined spaces were interesting. It blew up in his face, the White House had to retrench, because of the commercial implications. How many times have we seen this same scenario played out in the movies? In "Jaws" the heroic sheriff wants to close the beaches because he knows there is a man eating shark in local waters, but local business people want that warning quashed because the coming weekend is their big money week. The same scenario happens in too many films to count. And now it happens in this case with swine flu.

At this stage this form of flu appears that it might be on the mild side. Good! Still, the final verdict won't be in until the regular flu season has run its course sometime next Spring, so anything could happen. For now, it is too early to say for sure that VP Biden was wrong to make his call, as it is for the travel industry. Its another case of life imitating art.

Comment

Working...
                                X