Re: New Establishments

New Indian restaurant!

Cafe Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant
    3036 Waialae Ave
    (808) 732-6496

I'm hoping to check it out next week.

Comment

[QUOTE=AbsolutChaos;186434]The Cream Pot had their grand opening on Friday. My boyfriend and I checked it out. If you go, it's CASH ONLY. They are serving smoothies, both sweet and savory crepes, salads, and omelets/baked egg dishes. They are open everyday from 6am to 2:30pm.

Any follow-up on this place? Is it still there? Little on the web about it.
      You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fritz;191851]
        Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
        The Cream Pot had their grand opening on Friday. My boyfriend and I checked it out. If you go, it's CASH ONLY. They are serving smoothies, both sweet and savory crepes, salads, and omelets/baked egg dishes. They are open everyday from 6am to 2:30pm.

Any follow-up on this place? Is it still there? Little on the web about it.
        I went back a second time. Some friends of mine joined us...apparently they had been chatting with the owner on their last visit. The owner recognizes that the place is still getting on its feet as far as organization and efficient operation, and so he deliberately has not been advertising because he doesn't feel they are ready to handle large crowds yet. The kitchen isn't located in the seating area, and the food has to be brought over (heard it's a small kitchen too). The service is definitely uneven still, it's still cash only, but the crepes are very delish!

Comment

There is a new "okonomiyaki" place in Puck's Alley (only been around 3-4 months) called Shochan. We went there tonight and thought it wasn't bad.

Here's the link to my review for those who are interested:

http://www.locokinegrindz.com/wordpress/review-shochan/
          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Just ate at Pho Five-O, new this week in the stripmall straight across from Best Buy on Kamehameha Hwy. (I think it is Aiea area, but I am still learning the road....) Pretty restaurant, still has opening day flowers looking fresh. Until the end of April, 20% off your bill. (Yay!!)

DH loves Vietnamese, and he said it was "very good" and promptly headed to the kitchen to tell the cook.

We enjoyed the following: DH ordered a large pho beef, I ordered medium pho chicken and DS ordered combo meal #5 (was a medium pho w/ wonton, noodle & beef, came with egg roll and soft drink.) We also shared a beef salad.

Fast, hot, tasty soups; beef salad was Very Good; egg roll was presented with small amt of noodle, fish/carrot sauce, mint, and small amt salad. Our fresh veggie plate had plenty of basil, lemon, bean sprouts, another unidentified green that was very good and fresh jalapeno slices.

The menu was 5 pages long, lots of variety and we definitely will be going back.

Se y'all tomorrow at Magic Island!

Comment

Looks like Keeaumoku's getting a new sports bar.

Champions Sports Bar and Grill will open Saturday at the old Easy Music Center building between Beretania and Young.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
                There is a new "okonomiyaki" place in Puck's Alley (only been around 3-4 months) called Shochan.
                Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love okonumi....okunimi.....oko ono.....that stuff! Will try the restaurant asap!

Ofa 'atu
                Mui Houma
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

New Thai place in Waikiki:

Siam Square
                  --on Kuhio and Lewer's, second floor (Where Quizno's used to be)
                  --It's not open yet, but the sign's out front; looks like they are still fixing up the inside

Now open in the Wyland Waikiki on Kuhio:

Spada
                  -- http://www.outrigger.com/hotels-reso...ki/restaurants
                  -- not sure if it's affiliated with the one on Bishop; assuming it is?
                  Last edited by AbsolutChaos; May 11, 2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post

Now open in the Wyland Waikiki on Kuhio:

Spada
                    -- http://www.outrigger.com/hotels-reso...ki/restaurants
                    -- not sure if it's affiliated with the one on Bishop; assuming it is?
                    I did a Google on both sites and I'm sure they're related.

The site of the old Palomino's/Cassis will have a new tenant this fall: http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...l?ana=from_rss

Liz Hata Watanabe (The O Lounge) will be opening her first (still unnamed) restaurant and will cater to the downtown business crowd.

Didn't she also pick up the old Oceans at Restaurant Row? What's going on with that?

Comment

Panda Express in Ward Entertainment Center - formerly Wolfgang Puck Express - is now open. It was very busy when I passed there yesterday afternoon.

According to this article, they were supposed to open in January 2008, but for some reason there was a delay.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Nijiya Market is open. They specialize in organic and Japanese foods. It is located where Cheapo Music by Puck's Alley used to be. The store is filled with lots of goodies but and their freezer/refrigerator section is not complete yet. The organic produce is displayed very nicely and everything looks so fresh. They currently have a small bento area that sells packed bento lunches. Their spam musubi is not bad for 1.49 and they add green onions to the rice. There were some bargains throughout the store, but some things seemed a bit pricy.

*The website sale ads are not the same though as in the store here.

Comment

Not sure when it's supposed to open, but I'm assuming it's later this year:

Wolfgang's Steakhouse (Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center)
                          But I, like a lot of other peope, probably thought it was from THE Wolfgang, Wolfgang Puck. But it's not.

An article on the naming controversy: http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz...tm?chan=search

An article mentioning the steakhouse coming to Royal Hawaiian (and the other renovation-related changes):
                          http://www.shoppingcenterbusiness.co...8/story3.shtml

Comment

Kimmie's Cantina - been there?

Recently replacing the sports/booze dive that was there for a few years, and located on Coyne St. just off University Ave. between Bubbies Ice Cream/Burger Thing and across from the Uni. Theater vacant lot. It looks to be Mexican themed, from the new wall paint, and still quasi divey.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Nijiya Market Now Open in Puck's Alley

Has anyone checked out the new Nijiya Market yet?

Nijiya Market, based in Torrance California, specializes in organic and Japanese import products, with the new Puck's Alley location being their largest yet at 11,000 square feet of retail space.

I bet Marukai, and nearby Down To Earth, are just thrilled about that.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Another Blazin' Steaks just opened up at the Ala Moana Food Court, right next to Little Cafe Siam, just before you go down the short set of stairs. The cashier I spoke with said they opened just last week.

I expected the prices to be a little higher than the others, or the portions a little smaller at least. I noticed that their menu board did not read "8 oz. steak plate for $6" like the others. It just said "Regular Steak Plate - $6". I was surprised to find out that a regular plate (plus salad and drink) is still only $6 and the portions looked about the same because I was pretty stuffed.

I can't remember what was there before. Does anyone remember?

Comment

Working...
                                X