So, Where's Peter-Boy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Boy Coverage

I don't understand. Really. Even without the body of Peter Boy, why are the parents not in jail just on the basis of the abuse reported by the other children? Help me understand this.

Comment

Re: Peter Boy Coverage

None of us understand. Least of all of us, I would wager, is Child & Family Services Director Lillian Koller (sp?);

Some social worker let this go and how far back was it? Will any paperwork show where the ball was dropped?

Now does everyone who feels burdened by their children look at this case and figure they could get away with snuffing an inconvenient life?

Frankly, I never knew what being a parent was all about until I became one. I was overwhelmed by how huge my love became, how my capacity for patience grew. So I really cannot relate to anyone who kills their child. I cannot.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: So, Where's Peter-Boy?

i'm not so sure that money is the key factor regarding why things got screwed up.

take a look at this article:
        http://www.kgmb.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=4953

in part the article reads, "In 1994 she (the foster mother) wrote authorities begging them to focus on Peter Boy to find those who hurt him.

"I was told bluntly, he's not your child," Chesebro said. "Mind my own business. It doesn't help Peter Boy being a nuisance."

regardless of the reasons why things got screwed up (overworked social workers, stupid policies, etc), the bottom line is that some innocent kid got royally screwed over by a system that did not protect him. if it were a matter of a parent losing it once, it'd be easier to understand but this s$*t went on for years. there's no excuse for that. i can't imagine the kind of hell that little boy lived through. a public flogging and then execution by hanging would be too good for those bastards who tortured that little kid.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Thank you Auntie Lynn. God bless you and your family for taking care of those children, and for showing them love. I know you don't do things like that for praise but you deserve it.
          There is not much more I can say about what's going on that hasn't already been said. I feel the same as everyone else, I feel sick in my soul for what has happen to that little boy. All I can do know is pray for Peter Boy and hope his parents pay for whatever they did to him and with him.

Comment

What's going on there is outrageous!
            The child welfare department and the family court judges should be charged as well as the parents. There is no doubt of what the parents have done, yet they walk free everyday. And the judges and social workers go home everyday. When does Peter get to come home??
            This boy needs peace and it is going to take a national/world spotlight to get Hawaiian officials to do the right thing.
            i cannot even imagine the horrors this baby had to face alone.
            Everyone envolved needs to be harder pressed to get the answers that are so long overdue and so badly needed.
            A resolution needs to be demanded!

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
              i'm not so sure that money is the key factor regarding why things got screwed up. ... in part the article reads, "In 1994 she (the foster mother) wrote authorities begging them to focus on Peter Boy to find those who hurt him.

"I was told bluntly, he's not your child," Chesebro said. "Mind my own business. It doesn't help Peter Boy being a nuisance."

regardless of the reasons why things got screwed up (overworked social workers, stupid policies, etc), the bottom line is that some innocent kid got royally screwed over by a system that did not protect him.
              I stick to my claim that if we consider what's at stake (children's lives) as being very important, we need to pay social workers according to that importance. When someone says, "I'm a social worker," people respond with "That's very noble; that's such a giving profession." Yet when someone says, "I'm a doctor," the response is completely different. We're impressed because we know that medical schools (mostly) accept the best and brightest; we know that competition just to get into med school is fierce. And when doctors screw up, we don't accept excuses.

This is the kind of status social workers should have. Stuff like Peter-Boy's case would be far, far less likely to happen.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Aloha Everyone, I Am A Family Member Of Peter Boy And You Are So Right About Peter Boy Needing To Come Home, Our Whole Family Is Frustrated With This Whole Thing, But We Will Not Give Up. For The Love Of The Family, Peter Boys Grandparents, And Siblings I Hope And Pray Everynight That Peter Sr. Or Jaylin Say Something And Put Peter Boy To Rest, Put All Our Family To Rest. Don't Let This Go On Much Longer. I Know We Can't Do Much On Our End except Pray, But Peter Needs To Come Home Already
                Last edited by big eyes; June 5, 2005, 09:23 PM.

Comment

is money/social status the fundamental problem?

you wrote: This is the kind of status social workers should have. Stuff like Peter-Boy's case would be far, far less likely to happen.

maybe so, but i believe i was making another point: regardless of the inequities of the system, etc., the system failed to protect the most vulnerable members of our society. people in the social work system failed to do their job. whatever checks and balances exist failed to work. the result is that an innocent child endured unimaginable suffering at the hands of irresponsible parents and has probably died. we can debate all we want to about how social workers should be paid more and have greater status but i don't see that as an excuse for the way the system failed to protect an innocent child. the kind of change you're hoping for is fine but i don't think it'll happen anytime soon. regardless, in the meantime we need to do all that we can to make sure that another tragedy like this doesn't happen again.

i don't think we disagree much and we both hope that something like this doesn't happen again. while your focus (perhaps correctly) is on how to improve the sytem, my focus is on (1) the outrage i feel about how the current system failed to protect peter and (2) the outrage at how no one seems to be held accountable for this unbelievable tragedy.
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Well, if you think logically about root causes for situations like Peter-Boy's case, then one big root cause is drug and alcohol abuse. If his parents were not addicts, and if his father had been hauled in by the courts and thrown in jail until he completed anger management courses, then maybe Peter Boy would not have been so abused.

The case load of the social workers also needs to be reviewed. It is not humanly possible for anyone to try to keep tabs on 100-200 different cases constantly. With that kind of minimal oversite, someone is bound to slip through the cracks. Then you have to look at the court system which allows parents to reclaim their kids even after there has been documented evidence of abuse. Why do we as a society place more importance on an intact dysfunctional family than we do the safety of the family members, especially the smallest and weakest who have no recourse but to stay and be abused or run away and be treated as criminals for running away from the abuse?

This is not a problem unique to Hawai'i. It's made a little more complicated by the hanai system, which has been around since the early times of the kanaka maoli. The State doesn't want to interfere with that system because in many cases, it does prove to be successful. But how do you guarantee that the hanai family will be a good one for the child without some sort of investigation by the State?

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Charlie is my nephew. He was a foster child and then my sister and brother-inlaw adopted him. They had him since he was an infant. They knew what they were getting in to. Psychiatric care, social workers, physicians, etc. They knew. Our Ohana knew too.

Charlie is now fourteen years old. Like other growing teenagers he can not be with his parents 24/7. Charlie is a drug baby. Charlie met and tried drugs. Charlie was in the system from birth, taken away from drug addict parents...no one can say what drove Charlie to become like his birth parents.

We can talk until we are blue in the faces about what can be done, what should be done and what must be done...fact is, there are other Peter Boys and Charlies out there that needs more than any system can give. Each and every case is different and yes, I think the amount of cases that social workers have to handle is way to much. It takes special people to be social workers. I applaud them all.

Our Ohana will not give up on Charlie, especially me. He is not normal the experts say....he has mental illness. They can take my fist and shove it. There is hope for Charlie and all the other "drug and abused babies," out there.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Another DHS screw up?

Another little keiki was abused and killed by her father this past week, and the State was notified a week before the final assault that the abuse was occurring.

According to Derick Dahilig, DHS spokesman, all attempts were made to try to track the child down, but the searches they did didn't reveal any names.

The person who made the anonymous call (the victim's mother's cousin) claims that the information the state says could have helped narrow down the places to search (i.e., there was no mention made that the child was from a military family) was never asked of her.

Instead of just lamenting over the death of Talia, maybe the DHS should very carefully review the forms their intake people use to make sure that any questions that were not asked (i.e., "is this a military family?" or "do you have a phone number for the family?") are put on those forms so DHS has all the information they might need to conduct their investigation. Give the intake workers more training on how to verify the spelling of names and phone numbers and to certainly ask more questions.

Why they automatically assume that an abused child must be in a foster care situation or using some form of State assistance is beyond me. Child abuse can happen in the best of families, too.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; July 26, 2005, 12:45 PM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Another DHS screw up?

Originally posted by Miulang
                          Instead of just lamenting over the death of Talia, maybe the DHS should very carefully review the forms their intake people use to make sure that any questions that were not asked (i.e., "is this a military family?" or "do you have a phone number for the family?") are put on those forms so DHS has all the information they might need to conduct their investigation. Give the intake workers more training on how to verify the spelling of names and phone numbers and to certainly ask more questions.

Why they automatically assume that an abused child must be in a foster care situation or using some form of State assistance is beyond me. Child abuse can happen in the best of families, too.

Miulang
                          This story just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Now we have lawyers representing both the Army and Talia's stepmother arguing over who said and did what. Enough already, Talia is being victimized once again by adults who want to pin the blame on someone else. Everybody should just admit that while they weren't completely to blame, everyone, from the Army to DHS failed this little girl and should work to make the kinds of changes needed to keep this from happening again.

Miulang

Comment

You're right Muilang they should quit trying to pin the blame on eachother they are both responsible for the death of that precious little girl, these people are sick. What reason do they have for beating that girl twice a day the way they had been. It's sick and just like with Peter Boy it could have been prevented because there was reports of abuse and they could have placed both of the children in that house anywhere away from those abusive people while they investigated the situation.

Comment

Where's Peter-Boy? He's dead, his body long gone, mostly. Talia's dead, another kid who will never grow up and have a first kiss, or a school dance, or the pride in her parents' eyes when she does well in school, or a boy or a man who loves her. Another little kid who never had a chance. How many of them are out there, in the grocery store with us? At the pharmacy? In the next car at the gas station? Who are they? How do we know them?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                                ...another kid who will never grow up and have a first kiss, or a school dance, or the pride in her parents' eyes when she does well in school, or a boy or a man...

'da hell?

hey madza; you hit yer head when ya took that spill or wot?!

Comment

Working...
                                X