Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 9

Hawaii's loss is Haiti's gain. Check out this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The 2nd Hawaii Superferry that never was in Hawaii is doing a lot of heavy lifting in Haiti. More photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hms-corp/show/
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

how interesting - it's being used for military purposes!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          Wow! Now, WHO woulda ever predicted such a thing?!?!?

Comment

Say what?!??? Military purposes? You must be joking, since it's very clearly doing nothing of the sort.
            Quoting from this story:

MARAD to deploy former Hawaii Superferry cat to Haiti

U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood said yesterday that the Department's Maritime Administration (MARAD) is sending five ships to assist with relief efforts in Haiti.One of them is the former Hawaii Superferry Huakai.
            (...)
            They are being prepared to sail to the Caribbean Ocean from different parts of the United States. All are owned or controlled by MARAD, and will be crewed by civilian U.S. merchant mariners.
            Huakai is the second of the two Hawaii Superferry high speed cats built by Austal for the failed Hawaii ferry operation. Unlike its sister ship, it never entered service. Also unlike its sister ship, it is fitted with a bi-fold stern ramp that may prove particularly useful in Haiti relief operations. The 373-foot Huakai can travel 30+ knots with available seating for in excess of 800 passengers and a cargo deck capacity of 25,000 square feet.
            Hornblower Marine Services (HMS) will be operating the Huakai for MARAD and supplying crews.
            "Sending these ships will help those on the front line of this effort save as many lives in Haiti as possible," said Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood. "These ships will add crucial capabilities by supporting operations to move large volumes of people and cargo."
            "Once again the U.S. Merchant Marine is answering the call for assistance, as it has done since our Nation began," said Acting Maritime Administrator David T. Matsuda. "These ships and skilled crews are ideally suited to assist in Haiti by providing unique capabilities. One cargo ship can carry as much as 400 fully loaded cargo planes."
            (...)

Nothing whatsoever "military" about its purpose. Emergency earthquake relief efforts are not a "military purpose" and, honestly, it's not fair to fool people into thinking otherwise. That's why I'm sure you must have been joking.
            Right?

Comment

i wached the video!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Say what?!??? Military purposes? You must be joking, since it's very clearly doing nothing of the sort.

Nothing whatsoever "military" about its purpose. Emergency earthquake relief efforts are not a "military purpose" and, honestly, it's not fair to fool people into thinking otherwise. That's why I'm sure you must have been joking.
                Right?
                While I'm personally glad that the Superferry vessels are being put to very good use in Haiti, I also can't help but think: Can anyone imagine the tremendous difference that the Alakai and Huakai would have made to everyone in this state after Hurricanes Iwa and Iniki, transporting people and needed supplies? Or has everyone blissfully forgotten the hardship that people (esp. on Kauai) went through when there was absolutely no electricity? I, for one, still recall the outrageous amounts that folks on the Garden Isle were paying just for a bag of ice cubes.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  Can anyone imagine the tremendous difference that the Alakai and Huakai would have made to everyone in this state after Hurricanes Iwa and Iniki, transporting people and needed supplies?
                  I've said this forever. Should have been part of our lives for decades already.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

i wached the video!
                    What video? Or are you referring to the slide show at the link Mel provided today? Yeah, that showed military folks loading cargo on and off the Superferry, but that obviously doesn't mean the vessel is being used "for a military purpose."
                    Judging by the winking smiley you used in this post and the last one, clearly you are joking about the military connection.
                    And Frankie, the need for having the Superferry here in Hawaii for emergency situations has been discussed everywhere for years. Anyone with an IQ higher than their belt size knows how valuable that would've been for Iniki and any future disasters.
                    Like I said here yesterday, Haiti's gain is our loss.

Comment

yes, it was a slideshow, not a video. my mistake. Several of those slides showed military equipment/vechicles strapped down on the vehicle deck. The slides, to me, indicated that these military vehicles were in the process of being shipped either to or from Haiti. I did not in any way indicate that I thought it was wrong to help the people of Haiti - whether it is using the boat for military purposes or anything else. Hell, quite a few of my personal $$$ went to help out after the earthquake.

and yes, what I posted was very tongue in cheek. and I think that you are intelligent enough to have figured that out all by yourself.

see post #137, from yesterday - the photos are about half way through, at least 3 shots.
                      Last edited by anapuni808; April 27, 2010, 09:35 PM.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

and yes, what I posted was very tongue in cheek. and I think that you are intelligent enough to have figured that out all by yourself.
                        Yep, I obviously did. My concern was that we have over 11,000 members here on HT, many of whom are on the mainland and may not be all that aware of the Superferry background, at least not in any depth. And they also may not have figured out that your use of the winking smiley meant that it was a joke. So I just wanted to make sure all of them knew you were joking.
                        Thanks for confirming it!

Comment

and thank you for helping to get my point across.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Reading the nine-plus threads of Superferry discussion on HT should dispel anyone's ignorance of the history, issues and opinions related to the topic. Somewhere around 3,000 posts on the topic, which were often heated, but also highly informative.

Comment

The two Superferry vessels have reportedly been auctioned off for $25 million each.

Let's see,.... each catamaran cost $75 million to build, right? That's a heckuva depreciation.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Too bad Honolulu didn't buy 'em. At that price and with existing infrastructure I'd bet the system could be profitable and beneficial - much more so than a rail system on Oahu...
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X