Aloha Air files bankruptcy, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Aloha Air files bankruptcy, again

Can't really say I'm surprised. I never understood how Aloha Cargo was deemed a profitable operation if GMAC had to keep opening the financial spigot every few days to keep the operation going. I just want to hear what ALPA or any of those senior pilots have to say about this. Instead of giving a chance to those 40 pliots and affiliated support staff, it seems they rather play spoiler. Isn't that contrary to the name of the company? I'm sorry for the individuals but good riddance to a bad company.

At this point, the Superferry is a savior of some sort. It can make the cargo deliveries to Maui, Kauai too but I wonder how those protesters are viewing the scenario.

Comment

Superferry should be seeing a spike in their cargo shipments to Maui starting tomorrow I believe. As long as the cargo is on some vehicle with a driver too. The humbug thing is that they have to stay over night until the 2nd Maui trip is started next week.

Too bad about Aloha Air Cargo. The market will adjust.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        At this point, the Superferry is a savior of some sort. It can make the cargo deliveries to Maui, Kauai too but I wonder how those protesters are viewing the scenario.
        That was my first thought too, as I'm sure it was for most people.
        I wonder if the state had a contingency plan in place, knowing this shutdown was likely to happen.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          Superferry should be seeing a spike in their cargo shipments to Maui starting tomorrow I believe. As long as the cargo is on some vehicle with a driver too. The humbug thing is that they have to stay over night until the 2nd Maui trip is started next week.
          I think this is going to be the first big test for Superferry. It’s one thing to ship a personal car or military/medical equipment. A very different thing to ship a commercial truck with a load of food (i.e. bread) or other perishables. These trucks take corners slowly, and drive around the bumps for a reason!

I know the only time I rode the Superferry, the waves were so big, I thought the boat was going to capsize! You could hear people vomiting over the side of the deck, and by the time we reached Maui, we were praying our Toyota was still upright. (Thankfully, it was.)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            I think this is going to be the first big test for Superferry. It’s one thing to ship a personal car or military/medical equipment. A very different thing to ship a commercial truck with a load of food (i.e. bread) or other perishables. These trucks take corners slowly, and drive around the bumps for a reason!

I know the only time I rode the Superferry, the waves were so big, I thought the boat was going to capsize! You could hear people vomiting over the side of the deck, and by the time we reached Maui, we were praying our Toyota was still upright. (Thankfully, it was.)
            Indeed, this is an opportunity for the ferry to shine. I can't fathom shipping bread to the mainland, then back via a direct mainland to neighbor island flight as being cheaper than by the ferry.

I'm surprised no one in the past ever voiced their concerns that Aloha had a near monopoly on the air cargo at 85%.

Comment

"Too bad about Aloha Air Cargo. The market will adjust."

but, will we? apparently, love's bakery ships out 22k lbs. of baked goods to the other islands.

"That was my first thought too, as I'm sure it was for most people.
              I wonder if the state had a contingency plan in place, knowing this shutdown was likely to happen."

my thoughts exactly. the only thing is that it won't be serving the big island until 2009. lots of procduce such as papaya, mushrooms and tomatoes come from there.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                "Too bad about Aloha Air Cargo. The market will adjust."

but, will we? apparently, love's bakery ships out 22k lbs. of baked goods to the other islands.

"That was my first thought too, as I'm sure it was for most people.
                I wonder if the state had a contingency plan in place, knowing this shutdown was likely to happen."

my thoughts exactly. the only thing is that it won't be serving the big island until 2009. lots of procduce such as papaya, mushrooms and tomatoes come from there.
                Nothing to prevent Superferry from making that 2nd trip to Maui a Oahu-Maui-Big Island trip. If there is enough cargo business to justify, this is a huge opp for the ferry to make some good PR.

Comment

Except the fact that the harbor on the Big Island may not be ready yet for the SuperFerry.

Comment

i was wondering about the harbors on the biggest island? if they can have cruise ships, why not the ferry? please clue me in.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Cruise ships usually dock at Hilo Harbor which is not the place where the SuperFerry is planning on going.

Landsat photo of the Big Island via Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...sat_mosaic.jpg

If you click on the Landsat photo again it will show you a big version of the photo, enough to make out things like the runway at Hilo and Kona and the breakwaters of Hilo and Kawaihae harbors. Kona will be on the left hand side on that bump that sticks out the most at the center of left (or west) coast line. If you move up on that coast, you notice that the coast line goes into the island and just around the point where the coastline goes out again you will notice the breakwater of Kawaihae harbor which is where the SuperFerry was planning on docking at. That place is not ready. To find Hilo on that Landsat photo just go to the upper right side of the island and look for the notch into the island, that's Hilo bay. You can't miss the breakwater or the runway that is just right of the bay.

And when cruise ships call on Kona, there is no place to dock, it's off-shore and smaller boats ferry the passengers.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        Cruise ships usually dock at Hilo Harbor which is not the place where the SuperFerry is planning on going.
                        But isn't NCL pulling out soon too? Leaving one major berth available for use.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Yeah at this point the pilot's union kinda soured the whole thing. I think Saltchuk should just wait until the cargo division simply bleeds to death and pick up the pieces like Hawaiian did for the passenger service and lay the new ground rules down for any pilot who wants a job with them.
                          Well well well, looks like Saltchuck is doing exactly what I had predicted
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It's late, has been a very busy but dang good day, I know I should be in bed and asleep but here I am just closing up shop for the night, and I glanced the title of this thread which I have seen multiple times, but this time a classic rock song immediately came to mind.

Who did it? what specifically is it titled?

"Save my life I'm going down for the last time...." LOL sing with me?

Yeppers, time to crash!

g'nite gracie....
                            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              Nothing to prevent Superferry from making that 2nd trip to Maui a Oahu-Maui-Big Island trip. If there is enough cargo business to justify, this is a huge opp for the ferry to make some good PR.
                              Considering Love’s Bakery was Aloha Cargo’s biggest customer (as I hinted at earlier), there is something to prevent Superferry from making that 2nd trip. And that’s if they f*#k up the first load of bread and pastries... which is very possible considering the way this boat takes waves (i.e. not very well). Even if you shrinkwrap your trays, bread is a light and delicate product. It can’t afford to be bouncing around the same way a heavy coconut or even pineapple might be able to.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Well well well, looks like Saltchuck is doing exactly what I had predicted
                                It's the financially smart thing to do. Why burden oneself with labor issues when you can simply pick the assets and not the liabilities?

Comment

Working...
                                X