Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Day Weekend: This holiday I am...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This holiday I am

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I ended up getting another uke player (who also happens to be a falsetto champion from the 2002 Aloha Festivals)
    Already found another video of our performances - this one features the halau dancing to "He Aloha No `O Wai`anae," which was sung by the falsetto champ.

Comment

Hope you're feeling better, Auntie!

Comment

Bummer you're sick, Auntie!! I've had this stupid cold/ flu/ virus thing for over a week now, and it makes you soooo miserable! Hope you can kick it ASAP!

I lounged at the beach all day yesterday. Down by the boat ramp, which provided nonstop entertainment! Amazing that nobody dunked their truck too badly, or lost a trailer!
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          Thank goodness for people like you who are willing to go through the movements. I could not hang out in the political arena. Fun and exciting, politics??
          Big gold star for Auntie for helping.
          Amati, It was not all Fun getting to the convention. I was on the Committee for the HI Democratic State Convention. I was given two assignments. The Bentos and the Ministers for the Invocations.

I wrote about the Bento fiasco on my Blog.
          http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1358

It didn't end there.

I submitted my report for my Ministers on April 25th. Well in advanced to the Committee. Was congratulated by the co-chair Scott Dung. To make a long story short, when I called to confirm and tell my ministers where to park they told me someone else had called them. I called the co-chair and asked what was going on. She told me the person was too powerful! There was nothing I could do. I told her "BS! Nobody is POWERFUL...except GOD!"

When I went to the Convention, I brought my Bible with me. I also bought the first lei of four. I looked for co-chair to give her the lei to present Rabbi Peter B. Schaktman. Upon seeing her I gave the lei only to have her throw the container back at me! I told her I had volunteered to donate the leis at the meeting. She raised her voice and arms and said "Oh! No!! I bought all the leis for everyone!"

I turned around and my tears flowed down from my eyes.

My Kapuna, Carolyn Wilcox and Robert Porter both long standing Party Democrats and well respected knew of the situation comforted me. In fact, Mr. Porter wrote me a check for the leis.

I returned the next day and gave back the check to him. This is what I told him.

"I forgive them...they do not know what they do."

Throughout the convention, I looked at the two women. They worked very hard. I did get a chance to tell them privately what a great job they did. I was the gopher on the Committee. I had to prove myself. Misunderstandings, not trusting, whatevas, no pilikia. All pau.

As for the Ministers I chose.

A fellow Committee Member sent me this email "The ministers who did all the invocations were very excellent."

Love and Aloha,

Auntie Lynn

P.S. Thank you all for the well wishes.
          Last edited by 1stwahine; May 27, 2008, 11:06 AM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: This holiday I am...

YouTube's quite the popular phenom (yeah, yeah - like I'm telling you something you don't already know...)

Here's yet another clip of Hawaiian music at the Folklife Festival this past weekend. One of my bands, "Da Oddah Guyz," is on here (from 1:54 to 6:00); I'm playing uke and singing harmony on the first song, playing bass on the second (mostly unseen in these two), then uke and lead vocals on an excerpt of "Ipo Lei Momi" (4:46 to 6:00). *

*) ...only if you can stomach Hawaiian sung with a midwestern accent...
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; May 28, 2008, 06:46 AM.

Comment

*bump*
              Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Northwest Folklife Festival, four days long, all over the Seattle Center. I performed in three bands on Sunday - our halau band (`ukulele/vocals), a Hawaiian group (bass guitar/`ukulele/vocals) and an `ukulele ensemble (just bass).
              I continue to do this event each year, and it's this weekend. I'm in three bands again - our halau band Sunday (bass), the `ukulele ensemble also on Sunday (playing uke, leading & singing a set of Elvis tunes), and a Hawaiian group on Monday (uke & vocals this time).

Comment

Re: Memorial Day Weekend: This holiday I am...

Choice Leo!

I'm working the weekend. A coworker took it off so I'll get O/T for Sunday.
                But I do have Monday off and Mrs. Menehune, I and possibly Don will attend the Lantern Festival at Ala Moana Beach Park.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

An abandoned World War II bunker along Diamond Head Crater rim was taken over 6 years ago and turned in to a secret Marine Memorial. It was really cleaned, painted, photos-flags installed along with a story book of the men that were being honored by friends. I wasn't involved in it's creation, but today was the 2nd time I went to help clean it up. You can't get in the locked door if you find yourself up there, but can look through it's roof. The bunker used to house a search light and the roof never got closed all the way. That is also why it does get dirty inside. Hint: park at the outside of tunnel parking area and find a trail up. Good luck... don't get caught!

Flickr Set
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Those old caves contain a large chunk of history.
                    Oahu is an island riddled with tunnels from volcanoes and other more recent
                    events.
                    The Red Hill fuel bunker is an example.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                      Those old caves contain a large chunk of history.
                      Oahu is an island riddled with tunnels from volcanoes and other more recent
                      events.
                      The Red Hill fuel bunker is an example.
                      Oh, that's fuel? I thought it was munitions.

There exists more in our soft volcanic rocks than what greets the imagination in dreams.

Known:
                      1. A fully stocked and maintained hospital for military casualties out at the Kaneohe Marine base. My neighbor went there; he said it was even clean!

2. Nuclear missile silos up around the glider airport. (I've glided over them.)

3. 'Secret' projects (maybe top secret) underground at Kolekole Pass.

Assumed or alleged:
                      Tunnels under MCBH underwater for subs... (I think unlikely).
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Oh, right. This MD weekend I will let the dead worship the dead, for they know nothing.

My father was a WWII vet, disabled, (as is his son, but a VN Vet) who loved the sea. I divided his ashed into three parts: one went into Long Island Sound, where he taught me to fish; one went into the Atlantic off the coast of Stuart Florida, where he retired from everything but fishing; the last part went into the Pacific ocean off Sandy's on the North Shore, where he had friends when he came to spend his declining years with us.

Every time I go down to the sea is memorial day for me.
                        I don't know the location of VN Vets who served with me and came home prone.

I will go to the sea and honor them all, in my own way.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                        X