X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Wat is Walgreens anyways?
    It is a chain of drug stores and this chain is in the process of openning up some locations on Oahu. One that I know of is the old Towers Records/Video on Kapiolani Blvd. No idea when the opening date is.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      It is a chain of drug stores and this chain is in the process of openning up some locations on Oahu. One that I know of is the old Towers Records/Video on Kapiolani Blvd. No idea when the opening date is.
      Mahalo Helen...I'll stick with Longs Drug Stores!

Da Longs Lady
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I don't know about switching my pharmacy needs to Walgreens but I suspect that they sell other things that might not be available any place else on the island. For instance according to their web site they sell Aiptek digital camcorders.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Well, a photo technician is not a PR guy, but he does work there.
          Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Does Walgreen's know that you are posting messages publicly about them, both here and on MySpace?
          Note that GT has made his MySpace "private." We're not that scary... (Of course, the Google cache still existed ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Note that GT has made his MySpace "private." We're not that scary... (Of course, the Google cache still existed ...)
            Well well. Interesting. Don't know if it was the Walgreen's situation that made him privatize his page, or getting outed for pretending to be a teenager (which is a huge red flag these days), or...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Well well. Interesting. Don't know if it was the Walgreen's situation that made him privatize his page, or getting outed for pretending to be a teenager (which is a huge red flag these days), or...
              It was made private because somebady publicly linked to it?

Comment

Whatever.
                We are so over your personal issues now.
                [/yawn]
                On to bigger and better things.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I wonder if people not living here have any idea how much a part of the daily culture Longs is. I was discussing the impending Walgreens invasion with friends at the park yesterday, and one of the things that kept coming up was how loyal Hawaii people are. I think there are feelings of loyalty for stores like Longs, and I think it's a little weird, but I like it, too.

It's true that convenience and pricing are huge. The first Costco here wasn't at all convenient, and neither was the first Costco on the Big Island; yet people made them part of their weekly routines.

Still, loyalty goes a long way around here, and I think certain habits we consumers have are not often easily given up.

It's an interesting situation, and I'm eager to see how it plays out.
                  I will be most interested to see how the Walgreens due to be built on the old Kam Bowl site will affect business at the Long's next door.

I don't know about the idea that Hawaii's shoppers are more "loyal" than their mainland counterparts. I think it may be true with older shoppers who are more set in their ways and habits. But with younger folks, I think they will be more open-minded and looking to see which retailer offers the better combination of prices and service.

Don't believe me? Once upon a time, stores like Gibson's and Gem's prospered on this island. But when the big box stores came in during the late1980s-early '90s, slowly but surely, those longtime stores gradually declined and died.

I don't know how the Long's stores here will fare with the local entry of Walgreen's, but I'm sure it will impact the way they do their business, one way or another.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post

I don't know how the Long's stores here will fare with the local entry of Walgreen's, but I'm sure it will impact the way they do their business, one way or another.

I am still puzzzled how come there is no "Longs Drugs" presence in the city of San Francisco but hey go figure. "Walgreens" dominates SF anyways.
                    As for me living down the Penninsula, Longs and Walgreens are all over. Theres a Longs Drugs lol in each city here.
                    In Millbrae another Walgreens is being built and whats strange is just right next to it is who else.......LONGS DRUGS.
                    As long as sales are afloat and each store is making some kind of profit BOTH Walgreens and Longs will keep on thriving here on my end.

Comment

Last night and early this morning a fence was put around the Kam Bowl site so demolition of the building is coming faster than I had thought.

Aj

Comment

For a few nights before that, they had a security guard sitting there over-night, just hanging out in his or her car.

I want a job like that.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

For a few nights before that, they had a security guard sitting there over-night, just hanging out in his or her car.

I want a job like that.
                          But you might have to deal with zombies.

Just kidding, watched one too many campy horror flicks.

Comment

I want a job like that.
                            Probably not hard to find. Just don't expect to get paid much.

Comment

The weirdest thing is that we were just talking about this yesterday at work! How did we all end up talking about this at the same time?

Our conversation morphed into the other corporations that have moved in and tried to drive other businesses out of business. The worst part is that they don't even try to hide that fact. The gloat about it!

But, Starbucks hasn't driven too many family-owned coffee shops out of business and Wal-Mart just creates traffic and steals our dollars. It should be interesting to see just how much damage Wal-Mart AND Walgreens can do to Longs. I guess we'll just have to see what they do to compensate.

I too have a loyalty issue with Longs. I really don't mind the incoming businesses but I don't like the cut-throat attitude that some of them have.

I talk too much!
                              Aloha,
                              Evelyn
                              Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Originally posted by Sprite View Post
                                The weirdest thing is that we were just talking about this yesterday at work! How did we all end up talking about this at the same time?
                                Well, this thread is nearly two years old, so it's not THAT coincidental!

Our conversation morphed into the other corporations that have moved in and tried to drive other businesses out of business.
                                How do you feel about the established businesses doing the same thing to other established businesses or to upstarts? The Honolulu Advertiser, Aloha Airlines, and Hawaiian Air have been doing this: Does it get you equally mad?

I too have a loyalty issue with Longs. I really don't mind the incoming businesses but I don't like the cut-throat attitude that some of them have.
                                Longs has more than 74% of the market. That's a stranglehold. If other businesses want to take a legitimate shot at wresting some portion of that away, it can only be good for the consumer. NOBODY deserves 74% of the market, wouldn't you say? Sure, you want Longs to continue to succeed, and I appreciate that, but don't you want it at least to have to compete for your hard-earned dollars?
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X