View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

Been buying a lot of stuff recently, after a bit of a drought. New releases that impressed me include:

"An Invitation" - Inara George (vocalist with The Bird and the Bee, daughter of Little Feat's Lowell George) teams up with Van Dyke Parks (acclaimed arranger/songwriter best known for his work with Brian Wilson)

"S.M.V." - three incredible bass guitarists teaming up: Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller - jazzy, funky fun.

But the one that has blown me away is the US release (with additional tracks) of a 2002 European collaboration between jazz guitarist Pat Metheny & Polish singer Anna Maria Jopek, "Upojenie." If you like Metheny at all, you have to have this album. Several of the tracks are new arrangements (with Polish lyrics) of some of his past instrumental works, and several are composed by the musicians on the album. Jopek's voice has a haunting breathiness reminiscent of Brazilian bossa nova singers, and is a fantastic lead instrument for these works. Unutterably gorgeous jazz.