Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 9

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    The two Superferry vessels have reportedly been auctioned off for $25 million each.

Let's see,.... each catamaran cost $75 million to build, right? That's a heckuva depreciation.
    My memory is hazy as we get farther and farther away from the SuperDebacle™, but wasn’t one of the ferries so severely damaged it required drydock repairs for almost half a year?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Living on Kauai, I was really hoping that the Superferry would succeed. From the people I talked to, most were for it, but the few that opposed ruled over the wishes of the many. One of those things, but now we are all paying for it with the higher interisland fares.

I think the biggest setback for the Superferry was the environmenta impact statement "EIS" which the company did not do. Of course, they should have been complient with the laws also.

Comment

the navy has shown an interest in these ships. they may very well be back in hawaii someday operating from oahu to kawaihai as a troop transport.
        it would be ironic.
        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
          the navy has shown an interest in these ships. they may very well be back in hawaii someday operating from oahu to kawaihai as a troop transport.
          it would be ironic.
          I don’t see the irony. This is exactly what I and a couple of others predicted would happen nearly two years ago. This was the goal from day one. To recap: the Superferry was a prototype for several military transports which the U.S. Navy is now building at a cost of more than $1 billion. The “commercial ferry” ruse was just smoke and mirrors — an excuse for ex-military cutouts to sell the ships to the naïve lame-duck governor, who fell for it hook, line and sinker. Lingle is an embarrassment to the GOP, but then politicians like her are the reason the Tea Party was born in the first place. Hallelujah for that!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            I don’t see the irony. This is exactly what I and a couple of others predicted would happen nearly two years ago. This was the goal from day one. To recap: the Superferry was a prototype for several military transports which the U.S. Navy is now building at a cost of more than $1 billion. The “commercial ferry” ruse was just smoke and mirrors — an excuse for ex-military cutouts to sell the ships to the naïve lame-duck governor, who fell for it hook, line and sinker. Lingle is an embarrassment to the GOP, but then politicians like her are the reason the Tea Party was born in the first place. Hallelujah for that!
            The Superferry failed because they did not plan properly. The first thing they should have done was do the EIS, and test the public opinions on the business. Here on Kauai, the amount of people who opposed the ferry were a minority, but they managed to stop it from coming.

Comment

State to resurrect and run the Superferry?

The conspiracy theorist part of me thinks the state sabotage the ferry so they could run it themselves. The other part of me says, "Don't attribute to malice that which can be attributed to incompetence."
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I just shipped one of my cars last week to the Big Island on Young Brothers. The tab? $247.07, one-way!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  I just shipped one of my cars last week to the Big Island on Young Brothers. The tab? $247.07, one-way!
                  Curious, is that in a container, inside the barge, or out on top?

Comment

Just today Mrs. menehune mentioned how she was thankful that we made the Maui trip before the SuperFerry went away... and that she still wishes that we could go again.

My reply? So do I honey, so do I.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Curious, is that in a container, inside the barge, or out on top?
                      Out on top. But, it did arrive unscathed.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                        Out on top. But, it did arrive unscathed.
                        Thanks for the followup. And glad to hear you had no problems. Wonder if Pasha's pricing is competitive.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=261911511

Back to the future! Vote for Hannemann.

Comment

Mufi doesn't care about Hawaii or the super ferry or it's pros or cons, it's just another frantic ruse for election just like rail was for him regardless of possible damages.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

What a weird plank to put in a platform. Does anyone think bringing back the Superferry is even possible?

http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/06/muf...ii-superferry/

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                What a weird plank to put in a platform. Does anyone think bringing back the Superferry is even possible?
                                Of course it's possible, and we should have seen at least two serving the State if only for emergency use since the days of SeaFlyte. But we're now a nothing state except for the military and other exploitation and have thrown away unlimited potential. It's doubtful the former ferry's boarding facilities that have hogged dock space in the harbor for a decade and were unable to auction will even be useable for the next.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X