• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Iraq War - Chapter 5

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    SADDAM IS DEAD!!!

I'll toast to that!
    I'm watching Anderson Cooper right now and they're waiting on images of his execution.

Remind me not to watch TV or surf news websites because I sure as hell don't want to see them.

Please...everybody pray for our brothers and sisters in Iraq right now. News sources say that they expect violent reaction from his supporters.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      SADDAM IS DEAD!!!

I'll toast to that!
      :::Clinking glasses with Manoa:::

Comment

Confirmation from Iraqi news sources that Sadam and his brother in law were hanged a little before 6 a.m. Iraq time.
        Voices of Iraq
        Al Jazeera
        Yahoo News

One point of interest is that the news was first broadcast by al Hurra, a US government-backed Iraqi TV station. The execution itself was videotaped, so it will be interesting if some forensic guys get a look at this and determine that the man hanged was not Sadam.

Sadam's execution is said to be p'o'ing the British government, which doesn't believe in capital punishment.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; December 29, 2006, 05:22 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          The execution itself was videotaped, so it will be interesting if some forensic guys get a look at this and determine that the man hanged
          YOUTUBE!!! BE the hero now!!!

I wanna see an old fashion lynching!!!!

Manoa the bloodthirsty beast is coming out!!!!!

I wanna see this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry! )

Comment

I'll clink glasses with everyone else...however...I fear for our troops. I guess Hussein is the 3rd celebr...errr...person of notoriety...to die this week. That piece of trivia is in keeping with deaths of people with recognizable names that seem to come in 3s.

Comment

Riverbend, the Iraqi woman who blogs from Baghdad, wrote the following yesterday, just prior to Saddam's death.

Why make things worse by insisting on Saddam's execution now? Who gains if they hang Saddam? Iran, naturally, but who else? There is a real fear that this execution will be the final blow that will shatter Iraq. Some Sunni and Shia tribes have threatened to arm their members against the Americans if Saddam is executed. Iraqis in general are watching closely to see what happens next, and quietly preparing for the worst.

This is because now, Saddam no longer represents himself or his regime. Through the constant insistence of American war propaganda, Saddam is now representative of all Sunni Arabs (never mind most of his government were Shia). The Americans, through their speeches and news articles and Iraqi Puppets, have made it very clear that they consider him to personify Sunni Arab resistance to the occupation. Basically, with this execution, what the Americans are saying is "Look- Sunni Arabs- this is your man, we all know this. We're hanging him- he symbolizes you." And make no mistake about it, this trial and verdict and execution are 100% American. Some of the actors were Iraqi enough, but the production, direction and montage was pure Hollywood (though low-budget, if you ask me).

That is, of course, why Talbani doesn't want to sign his death penalty- not because the mob man suddenly grew a conscience, but because he doesn't want to be the one who does the hanging- he won't be able to travel far away enough if he does that.

Maliki's government couldn't contain their glee. They announced the ratification of the execution order before the actual court did. A few nights ago, some American news program interviewed Maliki's bureau chief, Basim Al-Hassani who was speaking in accented American English about the upcoming execution like it was a carnival he'd be attending. He sat, looking sleazy and not a little bit ridiculous, his dialogue interspersed with 'gonna', 'gotta' and 'wanna'... Which happens, I suppose, when the only people you mix with are American soldiers.

My only conclusion is that the Americans want to withdraw from Iraq, but would like to leave behind a full-fledged civil war because it wouldn't look good if they withdraw and things actually begin to improve, would it?

Here we come to the end of 2006 and I am sad. Not simply sad for the state of the country, but for the state of our humanity, as Iraqis. We've all lost some of the compassion and civility that I felt made us special four years ago. I take myself as an example. Nearly four years ago, I cringed every time I heard about the death of an American soldier. They were occupiers, but they were humans also and the knowledge that they were being killed in my country gave me sleepless nights. Never mind they crossed oceans to attack the country, I actually felt for them.

Had I not chronicled those feelings of agitation in this very blog, I wouldn't believe them now. Today, they simply represent numbers. 3000 Americans dead over nearly four years? Really? That's the number of dead Iraqis in less than a month. The Americans had families? Too bad. So do we. So do the corpses in the streets and the ones waiting for identification in the morgue.

Is the American soldier that died today in Anbar more important than a cousin I have who was shot last month on the night of his engagement to a woman he's wanted to marry for the last six years? I don't think so.
              Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

At the risk of drawing heat, I will publicly say that I respectfully decline in toasting the death of Saddam Hussein.

Don't misinterpret that statement, however. He was a tyrant and a sadistic murderer; if I truly believed in Hell, he would be sharing a room there with Adolf Hitler and Idi Amin. I do not mourn him at all.

But I am firmly against state-sanctioned murder of any kind. Saddam used his cruel power to slaughter thousands of innocents; his successors used their power to hang him and his guilty partners-in-horror. I would much rather he had been sealed up in a cell for the rest of his life, away from communication with the world at large, where his own rotten soul and twisted mind would have been his only real companion for the remainder of his days.

Any time we find cause for celebration in killing another human being, no matter who, no matter why, we diminish ourselves as a species and as thinking, loving, compassionate creatures.

With head bowed, I leave your table.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Any time we find cause for celebration in killing another human being, no matter who, no matter why, we diminish ourselves as a species and as thinking, loving, compassionate creatures...
                  Leo Lakio, I agree 100%. I also cannot celebrate the killing of any human, regardless of who he/she is, which is probably why I don't want to see still images or the video. EVER.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    At the risk of drawing heat, I will publicly say that I respectfully decline in toasting the death of Saddam Hussein.

Don't misinterpret that statement, however. He was a tyrant and a sadistic murderer; if I truly believed in Hell, he would be sharing a room there with Adolf Hitler and Idi Amin. I do not mourn him at all.

But I am firmly against state-sanctioned murder of any kind. Saddam used his cruel power to slaughter thousands of innocents; his successors used their power to hang him and his guilty partners-in-horror. I would much rather he had been sealed up in a cell for the rest of his life, away from communication with the world at large, where his own rotten soul and twisted mind would have been his only real companion for the remainder of his days.

Any time we find cause for celebration in killing another human being, no matter who, no matter why, we diminish ourselves as a species and as thinking, loving, compassionate creatures.

With head bowed, I leave your table.
                    Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                    Leo Lakio, I agree 100%. I also cannot celebrate the killing of any human, regardless of who he/she is, which is probably why I don't want to see still images or the video. EVER.

I will respectfully take there drinks and get more drunk! I get to many relatives served to many terms....and lost a few friends in the last few years.... for this...

I will take yours leo and lei liko... (what... you still gonna pay the tip though yeah? you just leaving your drink on the table huh?)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      That piece of trivia is in keeping with deaths of people with recognizable names that seem to come in 3s.
                      Yup. I was watchin for that. Mike Evans, James Brown, and Gerald Ford.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

This sounds just waaaay too convenient to me. Turns out Saddam was not executed in Baghdad in front of his people, but on the grounds of the heavily US-fortified Green Zone with only US and Iraqi officials present. So no Iraqi civilian witnessed the event at all.

Saddam Hussein was hanged early today for his crimes against humanity. The former dictator of Iraq was hooded, led to the gallows in Baghdad's fortified Green Zone, which houses his former presidential palace, before being executed without ceremony in front of Iraqi and American officials.
                        While all of you are celebrating his "demise", please remember that it was the US Government who put him in power in the first place, and it was the US Government which turned its head the other way while he was murdering Kurds (the second trial for which he was never to be tried). All we did by getting rid of Saddam was to get rid of our "mistake". This is typical of the US Government...set up puppet governments so we can control oil or other strategic resources, and then when those leaders become uppity, find some excuse to get rid of them.

Good job, Dubya. Now that one man who committed crimes against humanity is gone, will you, Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld be next???

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                          Yup. I was watchin for that. Mike Evans, James Brown, and Gerald Ford.
                          Ok...I'm too lazy to google!!! Who's Mike Evans?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Ok...I'm too lazy to google!!! Who's Mike Evans?
                            He played Lionel Jefferson on "The Jeffersons" and "All in the Family"
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              This sounds just waaaay too convenient to me. Turns out Saddam was not executed in Baghdad in front of his people, but on the grounds of the heavily US-fortified Green Zone with only US and Iraqi officials present. So no Iraqi civilian witnessed the event at all.

While all of you are celebrating his "demise", please remember that it was the US Government who put him in power in the first place, and it was the US Government which turned its head the other way while he was murdering Kurds (the second trial for which he was never to be tried). All we did by getting rid of Saddam was to get rid of our "mistake". This is typical of the US Government...set up puppet governments so we can control oil or other strategic resources, and then when those leaders become uppity, find some excuse to get rid of them.

Good job, Dubya. Now that one man who committed crimes against humanity is gone, will you, Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld be next???

Miulang
                              I think they said relatives of those massacred by Hussein also got to witness the execution. Keeping it low-keyed is actually a good move for once.

I'm well aware how Hussein was propped up by the US. I have no qualms for Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield being tried as well. But until then, I'll take what I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                                I think they said relatives of those massacred by Hussein also got to witness the execution. Keeping it low-keyed is actually a good move for once.
                                If that's true (and I haven't seen any reports that that is what happened). then there would have been only relatives of 148 Iraqis present. Absent were the relatives of the 100,000+ Kurds who were also massacred by Saddam.

I really really fear for the safety of our troops now, and also for the safety of innocent Iraqi civilians...both Shia and Sunni...who will now become more numbers in the death toll.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X