New Chief Supports Fireworks Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chief Supports Fireworks Ban

It seems the new Honolulu fire chief supports a fireworks ban.
    Do you?
    IMO ....I think it's a good idea. Hilo does become a war zone during New Years, but like any other unenforceable law people will ignore it and so would the cops. I say this because there is a ban on aerial fireworks, but year after year we still see a lot of them. The only way a ban would work is that if they make the law harsh. Make it a felony to set off fireworks or having them , kind of like keeping dangerous explosives, then people won't have them.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: New Chief Supports Fireworks Ban

Mahalo for the link alohabear! Finally! Congratulations to the new HFD Chief Silva!!! I support changes in banning fireworks to a certain degree. Leave it to the professionals. Those of us with medical problems especially children and the elderly with respritory ailments suffer the most.

I understand it is an island tradition and I myself grew up with. However, it has gotten out of hand. Burning money away is no celebration but an idiotic statement.

Ok, that's my opinon.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No sense starting a new thread. Fireworks are beginning to be heard from afar! I can even see ones in the air and hear them go BOOM! Homemade bombs are the worst for me cause it catches me off guard and I jump. I hate the smoke and I hate the noise.

I can hardly breath as it is.

I put up with it for New Years celebrations but it seems the celebrations has started a bit early this year. Anybody else have problems in their neighborhood or their areas?

hmmm..I wonder what HFD and HPD is going to do about it?

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; December 20, 2005, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I'm a nervous wreck! FIREWORKS! Please Ban Them already!!!!

Auntie Lynn

12:31 p.m. that's it! can't get my beauty rest!

i'm bringing out my M16's and bazooka's.

dey wanna play? let's pUPULE RAMBO!
        Last edited by 1stwahine; December 28, 2005, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I started my dog on tranquilizers today. She, my mother and I hate the damned things. I just hope our newish neighbors are more sensible and less drunk than the teenagers a few years ago who happily threw aerials off their deck across the street. Since that deck is about 30 feet above our roof, we had an awful night worrying that some of them would land on our shingles.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

With the New Years night upon us . I think it's time to revist this post and ask you out there, should they be a fireworks ban?
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

It's evolved from tradition to menace, in my opinion. Most people buy within the law and respect other peoples' health and safety, but a handful of rude people have ruined it for everybody. And it hasn't rained in ages. I think we're in for a seriously bad New Year's Day. And that sucks.

Comment

Grrrrr Today is Thursday, December 29th. Fireworks are continously popping as if it's New Year's Eve. What gives? I don't want to seem like a Scrooge or a BitXh ~ but I guess I am. Theres no way that I'm going to win this idiotic senseless waste of burning away money and making too much noise and rubbish at the same time!

Ban Fireworks!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I usually stay "home" (within the confines of Makaha) on New Years Eve. The noise, smoke, etc. is so mild by comparison to other areas of Oahu. What irritates me more than anything is to see the amount of money that goes up in smoke spent by people who can't even afford to feed or clothe their kids. Cultural traditions aside (that's an abused excuse at this point)...enough already. Leave the fireworks to the professionals. Leave clean air to those with lungs.

Comment

This is going to be a New Year's for the record books.

Already the vog is awful. Just walking downtown, some of the buildings mere blocks away were fading in the haze. Seems the atmosphere and wind currents are just right... for holding particles down on top of Honolulu to smother us.

And pyros among us are about to contribute to that oppressive cloud with gusto.

Not half an hour ago, our son woke up crying and wheezing like a sick monk seal, an asthma-like attack that required a dose of some heavy inhaler artillery to overcome. This just from the vog. I have a feeling it's going to be a long, long weekend.

Comment

About an hour ago, police cars were all over in MWH. Office workers walking around confiscated fireworks from tenants young and old. After the initial "raid" small popping sounds of fireworks are starting again.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I agree that something needs to be done about the abuse of the use of fireworks. Yes, it is traditional, but it has gotten way out of hand. People are setting off fireworks a week in advance of New Year's Eve. Don't they know that setting it off early is bad luck? (I don't know if it is, but maybe it should be - "May misfortune befall those who set off fireworks before New Years Eve!")

There are quite a few people who oppose a ban, because for them it is a cultural/traditional way of celebrating and it has relevancy for them. It it just too bad that the actions of an inconsiderate few has everyone up in arms about what is supposed to be a culturally significant way of celebrating the New Year.

Isn't there a law that says you can't set off fireworks until a few hours before midnight New Year's eve? And if so, why isn't it being enforced? And if it isn't being enforced, WHY IS THERE A LAW IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Comment

There was actually a helicopter flying around my part of the island last night about 9:00pm; search lights and everything.

To make it worse, sometime around midnight, I heard emergency vehicles rushing to an emergency. If that was fire trucks/ambulance, then good for them.

I saw a few dozen arials go up in my neighborhood, and a lot more in the surrounding areas, so yes, I support a fireworks ban. Like the saying goes: its all fun and games until someone gets hurt (or your house or a neighbor's house is on fire).
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Pzarquon, how is your son today? Did he have much difficulty through the night? Driving home from my mom's at about 9:30 last night, even the H1 was covered with smoke. Fortunately, I live in an area that doesn't allow fireworks, so the air was fine once I got through the gates. Sometimes it pays to be a snob.

Comment

You folks gotta move to Launani Valley. The place was quiet, fireworks could be heard in the distance, but nothing around these parts. We live in townhomes, so our "association" has restricted fireworks on the property. Although we couldn't escape the inevitable plume of smoke which evenutally drifted into the valley, it wasn't as bad as when we used to live in Mililani proper.

Even better was the fact that I didn't have to tranq my doggie and he slept like a baby, even as the clock struck midnight.

Hubby and I are asthma sufferers, too. We stayed indoors with the windows closed and the A/C and air filters on. No asthma attacks this year!

Comment

Working...
                              X