Do you gig-a-pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you gig-a-pan?

gig-a-pan - splicing pix together to create wide panoramas.
    Here's an example - www.byteswithbite.co.uk/kilgore/org
    I need to try this!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Do you gig-a-pan?

I've done it before, but I didn't know it was called that. I just called it a panoramic. I've done it by stitching photos together in photoshop. My cellphone has a pano function where you take several shots and it automatically stitches them together. It even shows you a portion of the last shot you took opaque so you can line up the next shot.

I've learned that when doing these types of shots, it's best to have your camera oriented to portrait as the distortion will not be so bad and can get cropped out.
    -kp!

Comment

-kp!

Comment

This is the first one I ever saw and I thought it was absolutely amazing that you could zoom in like that. President Obama's inauguration -
        http://gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=15374
        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Neat!

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
          Incredible that you were able to keep the wave sequence undistorted! I understand that moving objects are what gives this problems.

Lot's of fur was worn at the inauguration. I'm going to enjoy that site, thanx, stg.
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; October 6, 2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

From looking at the waves coming near to the shore it would appear that the shots started on the right and moved toward the left.

Comment

I see that now, and the splice areas. Still amazed that it comes out this well.

Comment

A gigapan is significantly more than just a panorama. There are three or so units running around Honolulu right now. One I had demo at a Manoa Geeks gathering, and we also discussed it on our KIPO radio show. It's a relatively affordable mount ($299-$499) with included software that basically works with hundreds or even thousands of megapixels. Amazing stuff.

There are some great images from Hawaii. The degree to which you can "zoom" is mind boggling!

Comment

My Kodak digital can stitch pretty good. The first one was at Jagger Museum, the second is of Mauna Kea from the intersection of Saddle Road and the Mauna Kea Access Road leading up to the Onizuka Astronomy Center. Both were taken at 3.1 MP with my Kodak EasyShare Z1485 IS 14MP point and shoot camera using the panorama mode stitching three separate shots taken in sequence.

Can you imagine gigapanning from one point and having contributors keep stitching photos to that point and keep the stitching going on and on and on?
                  That would be a really cool social project.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 6, 2009, 10:39 PM.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    A gigapan is significantly more than just a panorama. There are three or so units running around Honolulu right now. One I had demo at a Manoa Geeks gathering, and we also discussed it on our KIPO radio show. It's a relatively affordable mount ($299-$499) with included software that basically works with hundreds or even thousands of megapixels. Amazing stuff.

There are some great images from Hawaii. The degree to which you can "zoom" is mind boggling!

Ahh, I see! I didn't realize that! My bad.
                    -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      From looking at the waves coming near to the shore it would appear that the shots started on the right and moved toward the left.
                      Actually, I shot left to right and only stitched together about 7 shots so now that i understand the difference between gigapan and panoramic, mine is just a panoramic.
                      -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Can you imagine gigapanning from one point and having contributors keep stitching photos to that point and keep the stitching going on and on and on?
                        This reminds me of my last time at Disneyland, seeing the 360 degree theater (in the round) visuals. That was like 40 years ago.

Comment

Does anyone know if these units can be rented? I would LOVE to play around with one of these.
                          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I don't think they can be rented officially, but I'm sure if you knew someone with one, you could borrow it. On the other hand, it may just be worth it to skip a few months of Starbucks and get your own. What's revolutionary about the GigaPan setup is not just what it does (which is incredible), but that it costs less than $300.

I want to get one. But then again, I also want a Kindle, one of the new iPod nanos, and a dozen other gadgets. It's a good time to be a geek.

Comment

here's a pano i took with my iphone and the Pano app.

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
                              X