Aloha Air files bankruptcy, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha Air files bankruptcy, again

Aloha's bank cut off funds to the company yesterday, and now Aloha is looking to sell the airline entirely, or as parts.

Read the full story:
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...WS01/803220331
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Either HA or Island Air should snap up the cargo operations. That's the only bright point that Aloha still has.
      I seriously doubt either airline will be able to effectively replace Aloha Air Cargo. Those two can barely manage to run their current operations, and as far as I’m concerned, Air Cargo is the crown jewel of Aloha Airlines, and what sets them apart from the pack. Pacific Wings has tried to emulate Aloha’s freight division, and I can tell you from personal experience, their operation is horribly inadequate, to put it mildly. It will take years, if not decades to replicate the efficiency, urgency and sheer capacity that time-sensitive industries have come to depend on with Aloha.

DISCLAIMER
      : I don’t work for Aloha Airlines... I just think no one has anything even close to their freight division.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        I seriously doubt either airline will be able to effectively replace Aloha Air Cargo. Those two can barely manage to run their current operations, and as far as I’m concerned, Air Cargo is the crown jewel of Aloha Airlines, and what sets them apart from the pack. Pacific Wings has tried to emulate Aloha’s freight division, and I can tell you from personal experience, their operation is horribly inadequate, to put it mildly. It will take years, if not decades to replicate the efficiency, urgency and sheer capacity that time-sensitive industries have come to depend on with Aloha.

DISCLAIMER
        : I don’t work for Aloha Airlines... I just think no one has anything even close to their freight division.

I'm not suggesting either airline replace Aloha Air Cargo. I'm saying either airlines should buy that unit up to bolster their position and bottom line. Neither needs Aloha's interisland pax unit. But maybe Island Air could use Aloha's transpacific unit if they are ambitious about expanding and diversifying.

Comment

What you don't want to see on your airplane:

Aloha Airlines and a loose screw.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Looks like HA has already written off Aloha.

New early morning HA flights are:

1106 HNL-OGG 0500 0537
            1105 OGG-HNL 0602 0636

1103 HNL-LIH 0510 0547
            1104 LIH-HNL 0615 0645

1108 HNL-KOA 0550 0633
            1107 KOA-HNL 0703 0745

1102 HNL-ITO 0605 0656
            1101 ITO-HNL 0725 0814

1163 HNL-LIH 0620 0657
            1164 LIH-HNL 0725 0755

The new late evening HA flights are:

1123 HNL-LIH 2149 2226
            1124 LIH-HNL 2254 2324

1122 HNL-ITO 2004 2055
            1121 ITO-HNL 2124 2213

1112 HNL-ITO 2059 2150
            1111 ITO-HNL 2219 2308

1143 HNL-LIH 2125 2202
            1144 LIH-HNL 2230 2300

1118 HNL-KOA 2114 2157
            1117 KOA-HNL 2227 2309

1132 HNL-ITO 2105 2156
            1131 ITO-HNL 2225 2314

1128 HNL-KOA 2147 2230
            1127 KOA-HNL 2300 2342

1133 HNL-LIH 2200 2237
            1134 LIH-HNL 2305 2335

1113 HNL-LIH 2205 2242
            1114 LIH-HNL 2310 2340

1116 HNL-OGG 2156 2233
            1115 OGG-HNL 2301 2335

Comment

While not directly connected with the Aloha Air bankruptcy, this AP article on turboprops echo what one of our users have been saying.

TurboProps Make Comeback

The above is a link to the AP version of the article, which appeared slightly edited in today's StarBulletin and is not online there.

With the possible demise of Aloha Airlines' interisland service, it may be a good opportunity for Island Air to bring back their Q400 plane(s). Maybe.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The fact that an airline could come in and disrupt another airline that had been in operaton for decades pretty much tells me that Aloha Airlines didn't hedge their longterm financial stability as good as Hawaiian Airlines.

I believe Aloha would have folded eventually because of it's fiscal management, go! just facilitated it's demise earlier than later.

The success of go! also underscores the fair-weatheredness of Hawaii's flying passengers OR it's economic situation where passsengers are forced to fly the cheaper fare.

In the retail sector, when Home Depot opened next to City Mill in Iwilei, word was going around that it would signal the deathnail for City Mill. It didn't but it did kill Kilgo's. City Mill changed it's retail strategy and survived, Kilgo didn't.

In Hilo Home Depot opened a few blocks down from HPM. Same fears were talked about on the streets of Hilo. HPM is still around because they too had to rethink their business plan.

Enter go! Airlines. Aloha is now bancrupt and Hawaiian is leasing jumbo jets for overseas flights. It seems Hawaiian did their homework and Aloha went to the movies instead.

Remember thru it all Hawaiian Airlines is as much of a competitor to Aloha as go! Airlines is and in a world of competition, there are clear winners and unfortunately, losers. But in the real and unfair world, it's NOT how you play the game but how you WIN. Sad but true statement
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Remember thru it all Hawaiian Airlines is as much of a competitor to Aloha as go! Airlines is and in a world of competition, there are clear winners and unfortunately, losers. But in the real and unfair world, it's NOT how you play the game but how you WIN. Sad but true statement
                  It's definitely a business, as you say. I don't know if I would call the situation "sad," though. My memory isn't so short that I've forgotten how both Hawaiian and Aloha acted like bullies in the interisland market, driving out upstart competitors like Mid-Pacific and Mahalo Air in the past. But now that an even bigger fish (Mesa/go!) has entered Hawaii's pond, the hunter has now become the prey.

Having said all that, I do feel for the longtime employees at Aloha, some of whom are friends and acquaintances. Hopefully, all of them land on their feet, wherever and whatever it may be.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    While not directly connected with the Aloha Air bankruptcy, this AP article on turboprops echo what one of our users have been saying.

TurboProps Make Comeback

The above is a link to the AP version of the article, which appeared slightly edited in today's StarBulletin and is not online there.

With the possible demise of Aloha Airlines' interisland service, it may be a good opportunity for Island Air to bring back their Q400 plane(s). Maybe.
                    At this point, I'm hoping Island Air puts an order for the new ATR-72-600s instead. It will be available in 2010 and represents the latest turboprop generation. It has a pax and all cargo version so that could replace the Aloha Air cargo service.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    It's definitely a business, as you say. I don't know if I would call the situation "sad," though. My memory isn't so short that I've forgotten how both Hawaiian and Aloha acted like bullies in the interisland market, driving out upstart competitors like Mid-Pacific and Mahalo Air in the past. But now that an even bigger fish (Mesa/go!) has entered Hawaii's pond, the hunter has now become the prey.

Having said all that, I do feel for the longtime employees at Aloha, some of whom are friends and acquaintances. Hopefully, all of them land on their feet, wherever and whatever it may be.
                    All the more reason to cheer for a stronger Hawaiian and Island Air because that will translate to more hiring in those respective companies.

Comment

Looks like the parting out of Aloha Airlines' operation has begun, with Young Brothers announcing their plans to purchase the air cargo unit.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING03/80327033
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

That's why it's so sad. Good people losing their jobs. Yeah I remember those days of bullying when both Aloha and Hawaiian fought off Mahalo and Mid-Pacific air.

It's almost as if it's bachi for Aloha.

Comment

Looks like the parting out of Aloha Airlines' operation has begun, with Young Brothers announcing their plans to purchase the air cargo unit.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING03/80327033
                          Oh man that's not good. It's almost a monopoly then. Thank God Hawaiian has a decent air cargo set up. When I worked for the Gas Company, I preferred Hawaiian's air cargo facility at HNL. I used to ship out so much stuff, the guys there gave me the shipping forms (had to sign out for the number series) and the colored island destination tags so I could fill out the forms and tag the parcels ahead of time.

Comment

Oh man that's not good. It's almost a monopoly then. Thank God Hawaiian has a decent air cargo set up. When I worked for the Gas Company, I preferred Hawaiian's air cargo facility at HNL. I used to ship out so much stuff, the guys there gave me the shipping forms (had to sign out for the number series) and the colored island destination tags so I could fill out the forms and tag the parcels ahead of time.
                            Superferry is not looking to be such a bad option now. They would actually serve to counterbalance a monopoly in the interisland cargo business.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              Superferry is not looking to be such a bad option now. They would actually serve to counterbalance a monopoly in the interisland cargo business.
                              If they can only get past the rough ports. And to think I thought YB was a Local company all this time

Comment

If they can only get past the rough ports. And to think I thought YB was a Local company all this time
                                Yeah, the whole YB being non local is very surprising. More reason why I don't necessarily believe in supporting incumbents without them winning my trust.

Comment

Working...
                                X