Forums dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums dying

I've noticed many social forums have closed down recently.

Are they becoming a thing of the past????
    I refuse to join any dumb phone social media.
    Don't even have a dumb phone.

To me, it they just makes people dumb.

Lack of post, and replies, here are really sparse.

I hope it can survive.

Re: Forums dying

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
    To me, it they just makes people dumb.
    I think this sentence says everything I'm thinking.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

“Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly.”
      G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

I think there's not enough Angels on forums anymore.

Comment

Anyone know of any other forums for hawaii????
        I used to like hawaii forums.

Comment

Is that the forum that talk about cars a lot? There was an issues thread that had regulars who picked on new posters with mean replies. I thought I was snarky. I was a wuss compared to them. I stop posting there because I got no replies to my references that I don't they got.

Comment

Message boards are definitely not a thing anymore. The public square of the internet has moved to Facebook, which is a tragedy, really.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              Message boards are definitely not a thing anymore. The public square of the internet has moved to Facebook, which is a tragedy, really.
              There are certain message boards that are still popular with a certain adult subject manner. If you know what I mean. Say no more. Say no more. Squire.
              Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 16, 2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                I think Facebook is popular because 1. everyone is there and 2. the end user can select what they want to discuss whether it be politics, movies, music, etc.... and all the sub-genres in the categories. It allows users to "stay safe" within the closed communities which they may belong... and if something does not jive very well, then it is easy to quit any community/forum/group/page.

Still Facebook has some serious problems in the fact that everyone there is a marketing target for FB and their affiliates to target you with ads, offers and god knows what.

Still I am there because many other people I know are there from near and far... and we get to pick and choose our "friends" or "followers".

Plus the interface as crummy as it may be, is familiar all across the world so that everyone has the same U.I. no matter where they live. In the heydey of BBS's and internet message boards that followed, depending on what board you belonged to, the user interface was always different.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I used to post in the comment section of The Honolulu Advertiser. But, you can take the time and energy and post a well thought out posting about a serious issue. And it only lasts a day as it goes the archives of the back issues because the day is over.

Comment

There's Craiglists Rant and Rave forum. It's good for a laff.

Comment

In response to your question, ...

YES, I do know of one.

https://nextdoor.com/find-neighborhood/hi/

Comment

Here's one:

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                          In response to your question, ...

YES, I do know of one.

kinda interesting concept but I doubt there's much traffic being region specific, and I don't like the intrusive sign in requirements.
                          if you're a member, tell us about it, thx.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Anyone looking for alternate forums might as well just be on Facebook, where it is chocked full of Hawaii centric and other types of groups and pages. Here is a list of some of the Facebook groups that I belong to:

* Hawaii Bloggers - new group
                            * Hawaii Photography
                            * Big Island Hawaii - All Things Big Island
                            * Hawaii Tracker
                            * Stolen Stuff Hawaii
                            * Hawaii To Da Max
                            * Hawaii DSLR
                            * Hawaii Politics
                            * Hilo, Hawaii
                            * Hawaii Mac and Apple Users
                            * Hawaii Association of Podcasters
                            * Pro-Life Hawaii
                            * Yes to the Thirty Meter Telescope - I am sure there are several anti-TMT groups out there too.

This is only a sampling of what is on Facebook... and this is only the Hawaii groups. There are thousands if not millions of other groups that address all kinds of causes, movements, interests, hobbies, tech, etc. which have long eclipsed anything and everything on this board.

The nice thing about the Facebook groups, that many of them are "protected spaces" where you can find people who believe in what you believe and not worry too much that you will be shot down by others who disagree.

The Facebook groups also have a post rating thing but for the most part it is not abused as it once was here more than 10 years ago.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              The nice thing about the Facebook groups, that many of them are "protected spaces" where you can find people who believe in what you believe and not worry too much that you will be shot down by others who disagree.
                              that availability is yet another blatant failure on farcebook's account, hate hides in the shadows, what on earth could anyone wish to run from on fb? you can expect to see me on Pro-Life Hawaii, what a death-dealing crock of righty crap that is lol for the record; that crowd will murder the mother / carrier in revenge for choosing to end her pregnancy. the Left does NOT 'support abortion', we fight women's oppression, we support health and freedom of choice. nobody WANTS a fertile life snuffed out, this is just another buzz word topic used to rile the ignorant and further divide the masses.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X