Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pali, Likelike or H-3?

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
    Mahalo, Tutu! Now where to get the visas...Zippy's, or L&L?
    L&L! No Zippy's in Waianae!!!

Comment

My preference for going from Kaneohe to the airport, Pearlridge or Leeward side is H-3....and the incredible scenery is heavenly. When I work in town, I take the Likelike and avoid the H-1 as much as possible by taking some of the sidestreets like Hala Drive, School Street, etc. I've even taken the side streets all the way to Kahala.....I HATE H-1!! One of our reasons for choosing to buy on the Windward side (besides the incredible scenery, the people, the quieter lifestyle and the cooler weather) was all the choices of routes into town....if I'm REALLY in a "I need a scenery fix" frame of mind, I'll drive along the Waimanalo coast. I never fail to appreciate how much I love it here when I take that route in either direction...even if there's a single lane of traffic going through Waimanalo for whatever reason. Would rather be there than on Farrington Hwy. traffic any day!

Comment

if I had to put them in order from favorite to less liked it would go:
        Pali
        H3
        other, like Kalanianaole around hawaii kai
        Likelike

I made Likelike my least favorite because its so narrow, and I'm less familiar with it because of that. if its raining, i avoid it altogether.

Pali is my most favorite because its closest to my house, i know it best, its pretty well lit which makes it a good choice at night, pretty clear signage, and relatively easy access to H1, Waikiki, Ala Moana, and Honolulu.

H3. Ugh. I want to like it more. People speed and thats annoying. Cops at the end of that hill are also annoying. I'm always afraid they'll pull me over instead of the guy who blew past me at 100mph a mile back and jammed his brakes before the radar.(!) Still, its the easiest, neatest way for me to get to the westside.

Kalanianaole is scary but soooooooo beautiful. I have to go thru Waimanalo, tho, which can be really slow oftentimes, and doesn't have the great view. But unfortunately, the scenic part of the road is also dangerous and windy and unpredictable.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Ooh, and I forgot about Kam Hwy. That's my favorite. The part that goes from Kailua up around the whole windward side, through Laie, to the North Shore. That could technically be a route, since I can then hop on the H-2 and take that to the H-1.

But the Kam Hwy is sooo gorgeous. And the site of many good adventures from the good ol' days. I'd give ANYTHING to have one of them back.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
            One of our reasons for choosing to buy on the Windward side (besides the incredible scenery, the people, the quieter lifestyle and the cooler weather) was all the choices of routes into town....
            Same here. Traffic and cooler weather were the two big ones for my wife and me.

I used to live in Waipahu and work in town. I dealt with that ridiculous commute twice a day. When you live that commute, you get used to it, and you don't realize how stupid it is until you don't have to deal with it anymore.

I take the H3 to/from work everyday, and I'm doing at least the speed limit the entire way. Leeward-side commuters are lucky if they get anywhere near the speed limit for more than two or three minutes at a time.

It's not just that the roads in/out of the Windward side aren't congested, it's -- like you said -- that there are multiple choices. Leeward or East Oahu folks are screwed if their one good route to work is closed or badly congested. If my primary route to work is closed, no problem. I'll take one of the other two uncongested ones. It'll add a few minutes to my commute on a bad day.

Cool weather is another big one. I know we don't get the awesome sunsets, but I love that the sun disappears behind the Koolaus fairly early in the afternoon. We get to enjoy a few hours of cool shade while the rest of the island is still heating up. Yeah, it gets pretty chilly in the winter months, but having cool weather all year-round easily makes it worth it.

I know I'm going off-topic here, but the three routes in/out of the Windward side is just one of the many reasons why I love living here.

Comment

When visiting Hawaii, traveling from my parents place in PC to the windward side I always take H3. Its breathtaking when I come outta that tunnel! I really wished they built lookout points for motorists to stop at.

Lovena
              Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics View Post
                When visiting Hawaii, traveling from my parents place in PC to the windward side I always take H3. Its breathtaking when I come outta that tunnel! I really wished they built lookout points for motorists to stop at.

Lovena
                Excellent suggestion/point about having lookouts on the windward side of the H-3. One day when our economy rebounds (one miraculous day), perhaps the fed and/or state can appropriate a few $mil to add a (SAFE) lookout point out there along the side of the suspended freeway. The cost could be justified by the fact that this would such an incredible asset to Oahu's scenic agenda for tourists.

You can't understand this enough until you experience the view over Kaneohe bay from high atop Haiku Valley, yourself in person (from your car) from the H-3. Almost as good as taking an aerial helicopter tour of the Windward side. It's truly breathtaking!
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I seem to recall that they intentionally didn't put lookout areas on the H-3.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: H-3?

LikaNui, I had a hunch on that, yet didn't follow the media coverage as closely as I should have back then during the construction of H-3 while it was being built. Why again was it that they intentionally didn't include lookouts?

Thanks!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      I seem to recall that they intentionally didn't put lookout areas on the H-3.
                      I wondered about this too. I could see why they would intentionally not put lookout areas........

Lovena
                      Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        LikaNui, I had a hunch on that, yet didn't follow the media coverage as closely as I should have back then during the construction of H-3 while it was being built. Why again was it that they intentionally didn't include lookouts?
                        If memory serves (which it occasionally does, much to my surprise), it was because the views are soooo gorgeous that they knew a zillion cars would want to pull over into any lookout areas, and they felt (probably correctly) that that would disrupt the flow of traffic.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: lookouts

They were even concerned that drivers would be distracted while driving just coming out of the tunnels, and so in advance of opening they invited the public to come up for a day or so and WALK the freeway - through the tunnels and onto the Windward side - so they could oooo and aaaah. But it's still "fresh" and spectacular every time I take the ride...

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            If memory serves (which it occasionally does, much to my surprise), it was because the views are soooo gorgeous that they knew a zillion cars would want to pull over into any lookout areas, and they felt (probably correctly) that that would disrupt the flow of traffic.
                            I can only remember that it was discussed, but can't remember the reason.

I'm wondering if it was a case of funding. The feds wouldn't pay for it (had nothing to do with their goals - connecting KMCAS to the airport/PH) and the state was too cheap to. Or maybe a jurisdictional issue between fed and state - the feds wouldn't allow the state to connect to their roadway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              But it's still "fresh" and spectacular every time I take the ride...
                              Same here, and I drive it every day.

Comment

Since H-3 is part of the national Interstate Highway System, those freeways are designed for faster travel with fewer interruptions. The lookout points would run the risk of causing accidents as drivers attempt to return to traffic at the higher speed of oncoming vehicles. In addition, remember that H-3's primary purpose was for the quick movement of military vehicles on O`ahu, not as a scenic roadway.

Comment

Working...
                                X