Laundry Detergent Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laundry Detergent Poll

I use liquid because it integrates with water better than powdered so the washing is more complete.

As for residual soap yes that is a problem especially since soap has been linked to child-hood asthma. Too much soap in a child's clothing can increase the likelihood of asthma. With today's water-stingy washing machines and flow-restricting shower heads we wear and leave more soap on our bodies than ever before.

Plus with aging municipal galvanized water pipes leaching minerals into our tap water. That water becomes harder. Hard water tends to keep soap from rinsing off clothes and our bodies. Notice the water spots on your car after it's been parked in the sun after being drenched by a sprinkler?

The basis for Mr. Clean's Jet Wash car washer isn't so much in the soap you use with it but the PUR water filter cartridge that softens the tap water so it doesn't leave water spots.

Hard water, water saving washers, and flow-restricters allow more soap to stay on our clothes. Soap has been linked to child-hood asthma. Do the math...I wash my kid's clothes three times.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Tide powered for cold water, with liberal sprays of spot-treater (I'm the messiest eater I know, and that includes babies, unfortunately!)

Comment

Ran out of Era last week so today I figured I should buy some. Could not find it at Don Quiote or at Wal-Mart. I didn't check Foodland or Longs at Ala Maona so I picked up liquid Tide at Wal-Mart.

By any chance did they pull Era off the market or was it a fluke that two stores ran out of the stuff?

Comment

I use Melaleauca liquid. Because when we bought our brand new washers a couple years ago the salesman told us not to use anything but liquid because it erodes the washers. And the lifespan of the washer is better with liquid!
          Who knows??
          And my son has asthma so an all natural soap is all I can use.

I saw ERA at my Oregon Walmart yesterday. Because I had to buy dryer sheets. So it is here!
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I'd like to change my answer and say liquid, because unfortunately the powered version doesn't desolve enough to stay off my clothes.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Xtra laundry liquid which they sell at Kmart
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Been using Tide HE for the last couple of months. Yesterday picked up a bottle of All HE from Longs Drugs because it was on sale.

Comment

Don't forget the Calgon water softener. It's an ancient Chinese secret!

(I'm not the only one who remembers that commercial, am I?)

Comment

Calgon - take me away! (Later commercial, different product - and I DO remember the "ancient Chinese secret" spots!)

Comment

Still using All HE for the usual stuff but picked up a bottle Woolite Extra Dark Care for the delicate stuff.

Did noticed this week that Longs Ala Moana was selling Era but I didn't pick it up then since the All is kind of new.

Comment

I've been using Dawn dishwashing detergent for years. Yes, for laundry, too! In my quest for small space living and scaling down I have little storage space. So, on the advice of a friend, I tried using Dawn in the washing machine! SCORE...it works great! One 64 oz. jug from Costco, which is also used for it's intended purpose, lasts forever. I think I've bought only 3 jugs in 5 years!

Comment

I use Tide liquid detergent, which I find lasts a long time and does a good job. Speaking of Tide, did anyone notice this story about Tide being stolen from stores and sold on the black market? Presumably for drugs! This story aired back in March of this year. I thought it was a bizarre story. Still do. But I haven’t heard or read any updates since. Any thoughts? Anyone here bought Tide on the black market?

Comment

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/top-s...174851189.html

I don't remember ever using Wisk.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I've been using Dawn dishwashing detergent for years. Yes, for laundry, too! In my quest for small space living and scaling down I have little storage space. So, on the advice of a friend, I tried using Dawn in the washing machine! SCORE...it works great! One 64 oz. jug from Costco, which is also used for it's intended purpose, lasts forever. I think I've bought only 3 jugs in 5 years!
                              Tutu, rather than Dawn, I recommend Joy. Not only can Joy be used for dishes and laundry, but also for washing windows. This is what professional window washers use - a capful of Joy in a 3 gallon bucket of clean water makes windows sparkle. Joy will cut the grease and grime. Dawn will leave streaks on windows. Joy will also suds in seawater which most other detergents won't. This is important to serious boaters. Joy also makes for a great oral laxative!
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                              X