Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
    I've been there....it's really OLD....The french fries are really also famous there...greasy, salty...served up with this tiny little pitchforks...good stuff.
    There is also a Nathan's in Oceanside on Long Island. IIRC, Wednesday night is Classic Car Night. Lotsa shiny chrome, fins, baby moons, fuzzy dice.

Another night is (was?) set aside for bikers (Tuesday?). Much rougher crowd than the Classic Car folks.

Then again, maybe they'e not doing this anymore and I can just add these to my pile of memories of a misspent youth.
    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 11, 2007, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
      There is also a Nathan's in Oceanside on Long Island. IIRC, Wednesday night is Classic Car Night. Lotsa shiny chrome, fins, baby moons, fuzzy dice.

Another night is (was?) set aside for bikers (Tuesday?). Much rougher crowd than the Classic Car folks.

Then again, maybe they'e not doing this anymore and I can just add these to my piles of memories of a misspent youth.
      Actually, I still think they do both. My friend lived in Oceanside and the last time I was there...maybe 7 years ago,,,they were still doing it...but it's been a while now.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

There's a little store in Liliha, Royal Blendz who sells Nathan's. They're okay for me. I still prefer the Great Hawaiian Hotdog, mainly because of the garlic sauce... yummy!
        "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Comment

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog - Freebie today

From 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm today only (June 13), get your free hotdog to celebrate 61 years of fun, or that's what the website says for Hotdog On A Stick, also known as "Chicks In A Clownsuit", as the aforementioned: no guys ever seen working there. http://www.hotdogonastick.com/
          Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what is left.

Comment

Hot dogs are an important subject in my family.

First, in Haiku, Maui on the North Shore is a little general store called Fukushima's. That place has this red Redondo's dog w/ a special sauce that is probably mayo, relish, and mustard. Don't make a face. It's good w/ onions and mustard. That, to me, is the ultimate local-kine dog.

Second, when it comes to other kinds of dogs, we go w/ Nathan's, Hebrew National, and Mt. Sinai -- in that order. Note that this is about hot dogs, not all-beef Polish sausages, like those sold at Costco. That's a different deal all together.

Third, there is also a difference between eating hot dogs and chili dogs. The best chili dog I've had in my entire life was when the Green Bay Packers defeated the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl (1997?). My Dad made Nathan's dogs with mustard, spicy no-bean chili, onions, and it was sealed with a thin layer of melted cheddar cheese (shredded).

Comment

I have had rippers in Chicago, Coney Dogs on the Island, hot water dogs in DC, and every variety available on the 7-11 rolling grill. The best, imo, Grays Papaya(west Village, NYC), hands down. It is an experience in it self, but the dogs are awesome! Great snap when ya bite 'em, never tough. Butter toasted bread, piles of toppings, the best way to bring on a heart attack if there ever was one.

And the smoothies, to die for.
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Wrigley Field in Chicago. Can't be beat. As far as in Hawaii'i, all I can think of is those crappy dogs at Orange Julius. A begrudged indulgence.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

I kinda like those crappy dogs at Orange Julius. (Of course, I've never eaten anything from Chicago or New York, so what do I know?)

But when the Ala Moana Orange Julius was at their previous location (near the Complete Kitchen), the quality was better and they also served burgers. Their burgers were some of the best buys around, in my opinion.

Comment

Check out this Bagel Dog from Lox of Bagels on Sand Island Access Rd (Honolulu)....

An Oscar Mayer All-Beef JUMBO Hot Dog encased in a chewy, toasted bagel "bun". You KNOW that has to be good. It's actually outstanding! At $2.75 each, that's a pretty good deal.

Lox of Bagels also has great Bagel Sandwiches and flavored cream cheese spreads.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      At $2.75 each, that's a pretty good deal.
                      $2.75 is a deal? I'd rather go to Panya Bakery and get one of their hot dogs similar to this one... and I'm pretty sure they're priced at least a dollar to $1.25 cheaper than these.

Panya also makes them with ketchup and/or mustard baked in. Good stuff.

Comment

One thing I don't like is when the hot dog sticks out from the bun. One would figure if a meat company makes a certain size of sausage, a bakery or two would follow suit with an equal size of bun.

Or would this be a variation of why hot dogs come in pack of 10 and hot dog buns come in pack of 8?

Comment

I was gonna' mention this in the 2007 Korean Festival thread, but this is more fitting here, as it's an interesting twist.. and we all love twists when it involves Hot Dogs!...

Yes, a Kim Chee Hot Dog. 4 scrips ($4). When I seen this at yesterday's festival, I just HAD to try it!

This beast of a dog is made using a Kosher Sinai Hot Dog (the big Costco ‘kine), covered with no bean chili and a huge pile of Kim Chee.

What did I think of it? I LOVE Kim Chee, but sorry, I didn’t like this.

Their concept of the idea is that the Kim Chee is like Sauerkraut, but The Kim Chee is just too overpowering, making it taste more like a Kim Chee sandwich with a hot dog in it, than vice versa. It was so overpowering, even the no-bean chili under it was drowned out. Maybe less Kim Chee and it might work. But I think the Kim Chee is also too acidic to compliment the dog properly.

It might LOOK like it'll make you explode, but that wasn't a problem for me anyway.

You might like it though. Go try make one yourself and let us know what you think!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

In today's Star-Bulletin at this link is a long story of a new hot dog vendor, of which story this is a small part:

Frou-frou dogs
                            An award-winning restaurateur had to satisfy a burning hot-dog itch

"UP ON a high shelf, next to two plastic dancing hot dogs and a lamp made of a Spam can, is a medal engraved with five stars and the word "Mobil."
                            "Some restaurants display a ceramic Lucky Cat for good luck; Henry Adaniya has a Mobil Travel Guide Five-Star Award. It is his by rights as founder of an acclaimed Chicago restaurant, Trio, and he's brought it with him as he's traded haute cuisine for haute dogs."

(...)
                            "But last year he turned Trio over to his partners, ready to make a reality of an idea that had been buzzing around his brain for years: a hot dog stand.
                            "Hank's Haute Dogs opened Monday in a non-descript Kakaako location, on Coral Street just off Ala Moana Boulevard. His neighbors are Eurosport and Walk-In Liquors, with a Volvo dealership across the street."

(...)
                            "On the first day, Adaniya sold 220 dogs in two hours -- they were out of buns by 1 p.m., proving he just may have a point. "We were prepared to do 200 in six hours."

Much more of the story at the link above.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm not sure if I like the Bulletin's turn of phrase, "hot-dog itch," but otherwise, fun story! My wife and I frequently talk about a few things that we'd love to see here -- hot dog and other downtown food carts like you see (or saw?) in New York, and Chinese delivery.

Might head over just to try this guy's stuff. Though I imagine he'll sell out even faster, now! Here's his web site.

I work next door to Costco Iwilei, and when I first started this job I had at least one $1.50 hot dog a week... often two. My wallet was happy but my palette rebelled. Haven't been there for over a month!

Comment

Some of the stuff at Hank's is a bit out there, but overall the food is incredibly good. I was going to go in on Monday (the day after I shot that story), because I really wanted more, but was saddened to see it closed at 1:30 in the afternoon -- sign on the door saying "We Ran Out!"

I might try again today.

Comment

Working...
                                X