Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Me TV

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Much as I loved the show when it aired and can recognize the innovative techniques the actors/producers/directors brought to television, hindsight gives a different perspective - certainly NOT representative of "the best" TV had to offer in those days.
    The only thing that I find worthwhile about watching The Monkees on repeated viewings are the music clips. Those are enjoyable, although there's nothing that I would describe as being mind-blowing. So much of it was derivative from the first two Beatle flicks (A Hard Day's Night & Help!) And by the time that the Fab Four put out the then-critically reviled (but way ahead of its time) Magical Mystery Tour, the Monkees' musical clips looked very tame and dated in comparison.

The problem that I have had with most "classic" TV channels for the last 20 years have been the fact that networks are using edited episodes that shave off a few minutes in order to squeeze in more commercials. That makes every showing of Hawaii Five-0 on KWHE unwatchable for me. If Me TV airs uncut versions of their shows, then they have something special. If not, then it's no better than TV Land.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 15, 2012, 09:01 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I have no idea how long MeTV has been available in Hawaii. I only found out about a month ago when co-worker told me about it.

Seen an episode or two of Perry Mason and The Untouchables which air really late at night.

Comment

Another network in this vein is "Antenna TV" - is that one available to you folks in Hawai`i?
        Checking on 2 different sources (Oceanic and Wikipedia) the answer to that question at this point in time is no, at least Over the Air and via Oceanic cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          The only thing that I find worthwhile about watching The Monkees on repeated viewings are the music clips. Those are enjoyable, although there's nothing that I would describe as being mind-blowing.
          That is one of the joys of having the series on DVD - they are structured so that, if you wish, you can just watch the music clips only (what they referred to as "romps").

Comment

That is one of the joys of having the series on DVD - they are structured so that, if you wish, you can just watch the music clips only (what they referred to as "romps").
            But I don't want to own (or pay) for the rest of that stuff. If they actually had a collection of just the musical segments and priced it accordingly, that would be what I'm looking for.

Here's one of my favorites: Sweet Young Thing.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              But I don't want to own (or pay) for the rest of that stuff. If they actually had a collection of just the musical segments and priced it accordingly, that would be what I'm looking for.
              That would have been a marvelous marketing idea.

Comment

Me TV has been available on 4.2 KITV since Sept. 2011.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is rare in syndication.
                  I think it was mattel that put out the big plastic replica of the sub.
                  My two brothers and I had one and we wore it out.
                  Richard Basehart is a fascinating character.
                  We brothers had a long running dispute
                  Who actually had more clout. (real politik).
                  The Captain or the Admiral?

Comment

Car 54 Where Are You is SO much funnier than any so-called comedy on TV today. It's so funny even the actors crack up on camera.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Car 54 was a great show. Those guys were so down to earth.
                      Herman Munster emerged soon afterwards.
                      KVOS up in Bellingham ran a vintage tv marathon a while back that
                      aired some episodes.
                      Interestingly , Gaylord Communications ,who owned KVOS ,also owned
                      another tv station on one of the Florida keys.
                      Together, the two stations comprised the most northwesterly and the most
                      southeasterly of all television transmitters within the continental US.
                      Last edited by lensperson; March 22, 2012, 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        It's so funny even the actors crack up on camera.
                        Jimmy Fallon laughs during skits. But, I can't think of an actor who laughs on camera on a pre-taped sitcom.
                        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; March 22, 2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          I can't think of an actor who laughs on camera on a pre-taped sitcom.
                          It's rare and brief of course, but things were looser back then on the cheap shows, they'd let things slide if only to save $.

Comment

The large Ampex 2 inch video tape recorders had 4 tape heads and made
                            at least 16 headswipes per frame.
                            The old tapes are enormous. A five minute show was a fifteen pound
                            videotape.

Comment

It's so funny even the actors crack up on camera.
                              Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              But, I can't think of an actor who laughs on camera on a pre-taped sitcom.
                              It's rare and brief of course, but things were looser back then on the cheap shows, they'd let things slide if only to save $.
                              Editing is quicker, cheaper and easier now, so "corpsing" (cracking up during filming) is generally removed now - the scene is re-shot.

Years ago, it used to be a source of pride to get your fellow performers to lose it, due to your antics. Tim Conway was a master of the craft; he would crack Harvey Korman most often, so much so that it became a regular part of the broadcasts of "The Carol Burnett Show" - usually because they could never get a good take out of the team. If they ran a scene again and again to get good footage, it would take so long that they lost the great audience reactions.

Comment

The Korman/Conway/Burnett crack-ups turn my stomach still today, I couldn't stand that show. To me, an attempt that failed miserably.

Comment

Working...
                                X