Gas Scooter Laws on Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Scooter Laws on Oahu

Hi Everyone, my son is starting college in the fall. He has chosen to purchase a gas scooter to get around HPU-Hawaii Loa Campus and around town. I read an article several years ago Oahu was having trouble with the kids and the scooters.

Are they still legal and if so are there any restrictions?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Re: Gas Scooter Laws on Oahu

Dunno.

Thirty years ago, a boyfriend and I took mopeds from Waikiki to Mokuleia and went around Kaena Point. We had a flat tire not far past the Army Camp, and ended up pushing the mopeds all the way around the point to a gas station in Waianae to get the tire repaired.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

As far as I know, scooter and moped are interchangeable until you go OVER 50cc

http://moped2.org/laws/Hawaii.htm

Driving of mopeds.
      (a) No person less than fifteen years of age shall drive a moped.
      (b) No person shall drive a moped except while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on each side of the moped.
      (c) No person shall drive a moped which is carrying any other person nor shall any person other than the driver ride upon a moped.
      Driving mopeds on roadways. (a) Every person driving a moped upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction, except under any of the following situations:
      (1) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway, except where prohibited by official traffic-control devices;
      (2) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge;
      (3) When a roadway is designated and signposted to carry traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, a person operating a moped may ride as near to the left-hand side of the roadway as practicable.
      (b) Persons driving mopeds upon a roadway shall drive in single file.
      (c) No person shall drive a moped on any sidewalk or area intended for use as a sidewalk, nor shall any person drive a moped on any path or other area intended for the exclusive use of pedestrians.
      Moped equipment requirements and inspection.
      (a) Every moped offered for sale for use upon, sold for use upon, or used upon the roadways and highways shall be equipped with:
      (1) A motor having a maximum power output capability, measured at the motor output shaft, in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers standards, of two horsepower (one thousand four hundred ninety-two watts) or less and, if it is a combustion engine, a maximum piston or rotor displacement of 3.05 cubic inches (fifty cubic centimeters) and which will propel the moped, unassisted, on a level surface at a maximum speed no greater than thirty miles per hour; provided that those mopeds, including those modified pursuant to section 291C-206, registered prior to April 23, 1998 shall continue to be subject to the prior thirty-five miles per hour maximum speed limitation; and

(2) A direct or automatic power drive system which requires no clutch or gear shift operation by the moped driver after the drive system is engaged with the power unit.

(b) The director of transportation by rules and regulations, pursuant to chapter 91, shall establish criteria which shall comply with approved federal regulations for the following moped equipment: brake system; fuel system components; exhaust system components; steering system; handlebars; wheel rims; fenders; a guard or protective covering for drive belts, chains and rotating components; seat or saddle; lamps and reflectors; equipment controls; speedometer; retracting stand; horn; and identification markings.
      (c) The director of transportation by rules and regulations, pursuant to chapter 91, shall establish criteria and procedures for the annual safety inspection of every moped. Safety inspection criteria shall include the criteria established by the director of transportation under subsection (b)
      Moped liability insurance; coverage for damage by rented or leased moped.
      Every person who offers a moped for rent or lease shall insure the moped against loss resulting from liability imposed by law for bodily injury, death or property damage suffered by any person other than the owner or operator of the moped arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of the moped. The moped liability insurance shall have a coverage of not less than $25,000 per occurrence bodily injury and $5,000 per occurrence property damage.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Thank you both I appreciate the story and information. I don't know how fast the scooter goes I will have to ask my son.

But there was some talk the other night with his father about making it go faster some how.

One set of grandparents live in Makakilo, granny in MWH, and more family in EWA, Kaimuki, and town.

We were debating about sending his car but we really want him to take the bus or use the school shuttle for the first year because WE KNOW THE PARKING problems.

Thanks

If you have any suggestions let us know. We would really appreciate the input.

Comment

One of my boys tells me that you can make it go faster by 'chopping' it...I think he meant chopping a bit off of the exhaust pipe. It's noisier that way, and it's illegal, too.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are several businesses in Hawai‘i which customize scooters to increase performance. This is primarily because anything above 50cc requires motor vehicle registration and insurance (as opposed to permanent bicycle registration).

This topic is discussed more extensively here.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

My son says it is a extreme 499 xg 49cc stand up/sit down scooter. It goes 30 miles an hour stock. My son says he is adding an air filter with an X pipe to make it go faster.

So Susie your son was right. Ha Ha the kids know everything!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and thanks TuNnl for the 411 about the shops. Do you happen to know the names of a few?
              Last edited by Cnecki; June 17, 2008, 01:12 PM. Reason: added something

Comment

the Moped Company, on Kapahulu is AWESOME! They took great care of my scoot, were very affordable and up front. Not to mention, they are a long owned, family business.

I give them 2 thumbs WAY up!
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

If your son is dorming at the Hawaii Loa campus, I don't think parking is as much a problem as whatever they're charging for it. I could be wrong, but I think there's plenty of parking for residents, and on most school days he'll never need to get into his car since (if I remember correctly) he'll mostly be in nursing (or pre med) and science classes, which are usually at Hawaii Loa. For his town classes, he can take the shuttle, which is what almost everyone does. I'd ask about parking, 'though one certainly doesn't NEED a car to get around on this island.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks for the scooter store, TATTRAT he will need it if he needs some repairs or tweeking.

He is excited about the amount of gas it will use compared to a car.

SCRIVENER he thought the gas alone would break him "Being a starving student and all" so the scooter will put some extra spending money back in his pocket for snacks and food! I think he will be visiting the family often "Oh around Dinner time on the weekends"

he he

I love it!
                    Last edited by Cnecki; June 18, 2008, 05:15 AM. Reason: added names and spelling

Comment

Oh and TuNnl found the link you sent for more information. Missed it all together the first time. Sorry!

Everything we were looking for pretty much.

Thanks again
                      Last edited by Cnecki; June 18, 2008, 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Gas shouldn't be a problem. Mopeds have great mileage.

The biggest problem he might face is trying to get through the Pali when going between the Hawaii Loa campus and town. He doesn't have enough speed on a moped. Even if he "souped" it up, its still too dangerous on a frequent commute.

Using a motorcyle for the Pali would be better but that's going to require a different license and insurance.

The bus or shuttle is a better and safer idea. It might kill his style but so what right? Besides which, wearing a helmet would kill his style too.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                          Gas shouldn't be a problem. Mopeds have great mileage.

The biggest problem he might face is trying to get through the Pali when going between the Hawaii Loa campus and town. He doesn't have enough speed on a moped. Even if he "souped" it up, its still too dangerous on a frequent commute.

Using a motorcyle for the Pali would be better but that's going to require a different license and insurance.

The bus or shuttle is a better and safer idea. It might kill his style but so what right? Besides which, wearing a helmet would kill his style too.
                          Ya he thinks he has style! Ha ha better not use the scooter than in the Pali so we can keep his pretty face he might need it to get a job!

THANKS
                          Last edited by Cnecki; July 2, 2008, 01:03 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Comment

Ack! I saw one of those 3 wheel scooter mobile thingys on the Pali highway today!! I wanted to pull over and yell at them, bwth could I d0 on a narrow 2 lane road? They were being a total hazard, but by the look on their faces, they were LOVING breaking the law and being hazardous jerkx! Hope the cops got them!!!
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

http://khon2.com/2016/01/23/lawmaker...-wear-helmets/

I thought wearing a helmet while driving a moped was a law already.

Comment

Working...
                              X