Mufi - "no sacred cows"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mufi - "no sacred cows"

Hanneman states that the needed rise in public fees and taxes at a time when the public is hurting, with more pain coming, will not be impeaded by any sacred cows, except his, rail, the multi-billion dollar boondoggle that will be largely ineffectual, go way over costs, and fail in the end.
    And that next year will be worse.

This may spell doom for his dreams as Gov. of Hawaii.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Mufi - "no sacred cows"

What happened to:
    "Do we need it?
    Can we afford it?"
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Hanneman states that the needed rise in public fees and taxes at a time when the public is hurting, with more pain coming, will not be impeaded by any sacred cows, except his, rail,
      The funding for the rail comes from that .5% state sales tax, which is not being raised. Of course I might agree with you that the amount of money being collected from that source is less than it was projected for this current time period. But the bottom line this funding is from the state and controlled by them, not the City & County of Honolulu, even through they are the ones who will be getting those funds.

the multi-billion dollar boondoggle that will be largely ineffectual, go way over costs, and fail in the end.
      It's amazing you can say this without anyone actually gone to the trouble of breaking ground or running a rail line.

Well if you don't like him as a mayor do you want him as a governor?

Comment

Hanneman states that the needed rise in public fees and taxes at a time when the public is hurting, with more pain coming, will not be impeaded by any sacred cows, except his, rail
        Originally posted by helen View Post
        The funding for the rail comes from that .5% state sales tax, which is not being raised. Of course I might agree with you that the amount of money being collected from that source is less than it was projected for this current time period. But the bottom line this funding is from the state and controlled by them, not the City & County of Honolulu, even through they are the ones who will be getting those funds.
        I have to agree with this. Ron’s post is absurd in that he is comparing city fees and taxes to a state-collected rail fund. Apples and oranges. Ron, you may wish to educate yourself on the issues, which would help you understand what is going on politically right now.

For example, state legislators are currently trying to cockaroach money going to rail to balance the state budget. It would be physically impossible for them to do that if the rail money was being collected by the city, because they would not have access to the account. The only reason they can even have the discussion, is specifically because rail is a DAGS-administered fund. City managing director Kirk Caldwell, an attorney by trade, and former House Majority leader, of course, calls the move illegal. Certainly, I would have to agree with him, like many Republicans and Libertarians would, that the state needs to stop stealing special funds to balance the budget. They need to face the hard facts that our government bureaucracy has become too bloated, and it’s time to cut the fat.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Hanneman states that the needed rise in public fees and taxes at a time when the public is hurting, with more pain coming, will not be impeaded by any sacred cows, except his, rail, the multi-billion dollar boondoggle that will be largely ineffectual, go way over costs, and fail in the end.
          And that next year will be worse.

Be VERY careful in your use of HINDU term of "sacred cow" as a stand-in for rail.

Signed,
          A Hindu who happens to live in Hawaii

PS: Please don't denigrate my religion by comparing it to Mufi's beloved rail. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Certainly, I would have to agree with him, like many Republicans and Libertarians would, that the state needs to stop stealing special funds to balance the budget. They need to face the hard facts that our government bureaucracy has become too bloated, and it’s time to cut the fat.
            Ain't it the truth.

I think legislators like Sen. Sam Slom made a good point several years ago when they cried foul over the Democrats' desire to use the proceeds from the Hurricane Relief Fund to balance the state budget, rather than rightfully refunding it to the homeowners who paid into the fund in the years following Hurricane Iniki. But raiding the fund was the "easy" thing to do. And no doubt the influence of public workers unions played a great deal in the decision-making process for many of the lawmakers who valued their endorsements from HGEA, UPW, and HSTA.

Fast forward nearly a decade later,.... and our state govt. is still robbing Peter to pay Paul in order to get through another fiscal crisis. It seems that ever since George Ariyoshi left office, we have had no governor and no legislative leadership who has been willing to exercise fiscal discipline and to seriously streamline the govt. To be sure, cutting back on services and laying off public workers involves making decisions that will be unpopular with the unions and many voter segments. But a truly effective leader is someone who is willing to stick their necks out to make the tough calls, rather than someone who will simply look out for their own best interests and will only do whatever it takes to get re-elected. There's no shortage of the latter when it comes to the kind of politicians we have at the state capitol. But it will take more of the former if we're ever going to get ourselves out of this budget crisis.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              What happened to:
              "Do we need it?
              Can we afford it?"
              The election is over.

The funding for the rail comes from that .5% state sales tax, which is not being raised.
              Hmmm, isn't it a city tax that's being collected by the state in exchange for a cut of the action?

Comment

1) It's amazing you can say this without anyone actually gone to the trouble of breaking ground or running a rail line.
                2) Well if you don't like him as a mayor do you want him as a governor?
                1) I don't trust Mufi for nuthin', just a career politician, and once I witnessed the H2(?) construction in front of Lagoon Dr. in '81ish miss the correspoding allignment by 11 inches, that was it for competence in local road/major engineering for me.
                2) No, I don't want Mufi as Mayor or Gov.

Ask any bus driver and most will not have one good word for the rail.

AC, is 'sacred cow' a Hindu term, or an American phrase, or translation from Hindu?
                Either way, no one owns that term and it's been used for decades. Sorry you feel slighted.

TuNl, are you saying the people of Hawaii will not feel any economic pinch from rail's cost's, even when they soar over budget?
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                X