Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    You know those new Mac commercials that are running make me feel as if Apple has become the smug company. Apple has to realize that their profitablity isn't from Mac sales but from iPods. And with Vista, many of Apple's utilities aren't compatible with MS including Quicktime.

I think this smugness is gonna backfire on Apple as they become larger and larger. It's just a matter of time until someone get's upset with a Mac and will hack their OS.
    Cisco's worth a hell of a lot more than Apple, and Cisco is still trying to keep up with Microsoft. So if Cisco can eventually "take over" everything but the computer (hardware) part of Apple, that would be a good thing for them. They need to look for ways to break into the consumer market. Right now, most of their business is in the business sector.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yesterday brought a good chunk of Apple news... specifically not related to the iPhone or iPod.

They unveiled a redesigned iMac (prompting a redesigned keyboard). They released major upgrades to their iLife and iWork software suites (including a significant revision to iMovie and the long-awaited spreadsheet application, Numbers). They even bumped up the specs on the oft overlooked Mac mini.

The keyboard announcement gave me one of those forehead-smacking Apple upgrade moments. Because I had just bought one on Sunday.

I think most folks are more excited about the software updates than the hardware revisions. iMovie in particular could be a big deal (as if it wasn't already in the consumer video space). And Pages, their layout app, is simplified to be a decent word processor. Numbers? It ain't no Excel in power, but in usability? It could be awesome.

Comment

Did the eariler versions of the Mac mini had a firewire port on it?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          Did the eariler versions of the Mac mini had a firewire port on it?
          Yes, at least the ones used in my school do.

Comment

Does the new keyboard work with a non-intel Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Does the new keyboard work with a non-intel Mac?
              I'm thinking they should. I know people who bought Apple's USB keyboards to use on Windows machines! A USB keyboard is generally a USB keyboard.

The only caveat is, it sounds like this new keyboard has some buttons dedicated to specific software functions that may only exist in current versions of OSX. Perhaps the keyboard will come with a driver that will let you change/assign what these buttons do, or maybe they'll just be nonfunctional, but the majority of what you need a basic keyboard for will be covered.

Comment

I'm excited that Apple beefed up the storage space they provide with .Mac accounts.

10 GB of storage (plus all the other .Mac amenities) for $99 a year? That might be enough to get me to sign up.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  I'm thinking they should. I know people who bought Apple's USB keyboards to use on Windows machines! A USB keyboard is generally a USB keyboard.

The only caveat is, it sounds like this new keyboard has some buttons dedicated to specific software functions that may only exist in current versions of OSX. Perhaps the keyboard will come with a driver that will let you change/assign what these buttons do, or maybe they'll just be nonfunctional, but the majority of what you need a basic keyboard for will be covered.
                  I was kinda looking at the wireless version and the Mighty Mouse thinking how nice it would be to hook up my laptop to my new 40" TV then sit across the room on a comfy sofa with the keyboard, mouse and a great, big screen! Yes, the height of laziness!

I did notice that the OS requirement is 10.4.10 which I have.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    I think most folks are more excited about the software updates than the hardware revisions. iMovie in particular could be a big deal (as if it wasn't already in the consumer video space). And Pages, their layout app, is simplified to be a decent word processor. Numbers? It ain't no Excel in power, but in usability? It could be awesome.
                    The big thing with iMovie '08 is the ability to import from AVCHD, the format which hard-drive cameras use. I returned a Sony HD camcorder last year after finding out the hard way that it wasn't supported. This is really, really great news.

I'm looking forward to Numbers, as well. I used to enjoy AppleWorks, with its spreadsheet, word processing, drawing, painting and database apps. I made such great use of the DB part of AppleWorks... wonder when they'll bring that back?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    I was kinda looking at the wireless version and the Mighty Mouse thinking how nice it would be to hook up my laptop to my new 40" TV then sit across the room on a comfy sofa with the keyboard, mouse and a great, big screen! Yes, the height of laziness!
                    Imagine the luxury of wearing one of those monitor/goggle thingies. You could just plop yourself in bed, lying down and watching movies, surfing the web, playing sudoku...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                      Imagine the luxury of wearing one of those monitor/goggle thingies. You could just plop yourself in bed, lying down and watching movies, surfing the web, playing sudoku...
                      Implant them onto glasses, and you can call me a real geek.
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

The Mac Mini has always had at least 1 firewire port.

While the new iMacs look pretty cool what some Apple fans like me are missing is a midrange mini-tower, similar to the long discontinued Power Mac G4 towers but of course with the latest processors. This would be for those who can't afford the really expensive MacPro but want the expandability and flexibility a tower has vs. that of an all in one iMac.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                          [...]Imagine the luxury of wearing one of those monitor/goggle thingies. You could just plop yourself in bed, lying down and watching movies, surfing the web, playing sudoku...
                          I've tried the goggle thingies as a means to watch an on set monitor without standing in the midst of a gaggle of producers/crew/etc. I'll still opt for the big screen tv and the sofa. The sofa and the bed are one and the same!

Comment

Steve Jobs' keynote at MacWorld is on now.

New Airport Extreme with hard drive. New software for iPhones and the iPod Touch. Movie rentals via iTunes. Upgrades for Apple TV...

Comment

What've we got?

MacBook Air. The world's thinnest notebook. 0.16" to 0.76" thick, 13.1" screen, 1.6MHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, five-hour battery life, $1799. Ships in two weeks. Beautiful.

iTunes Movie Rentals. Touchstone, Mirimax, MGM, Lionsgate, Newline, Fox, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal & Sony are all on board. Available today.

Apple TV Upgrades. Shop and buy music or movies directly from your couch -- no computer required (finally!). Built-in, better audio and video podcast support. DVD- or HD-quality movie rentals. Photo slideshows off the web (Flickr and .Mac). Price drop to $229 (from $299) and a new 160GB model.

iPhone Software Update. Free software update that adds customizable home screen (including adding websites as icons, like Twitter!), geolocation on Google Maps, multi-contact SMS, and other goodies. SDK due on February.

iPod Touch Software Update. For $20 (?), you get Mail, Stocks, Notes, Weather, and Maps.

Airport Extreme Base Station with Hard Drive. 500GB - $299, 1TB - $499.

Comment

I'm excited for the iPhone software update. Geolocation! The MacBook Air looks really neat too. I was saying on another forum that it would be the perfect thing to take back and forth to school as a supplement to a main computer.
                                Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                                Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Working...
                                X