New Establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Establishments

1. (I've mentioned this in another thread...)
    JJ Dolan's (an Irish pub)
    I've been a couple of times and love this place; very San Francisco-ish. My only complaint is they need to upgrade the paper plates!
    The easiest parking for me is the underground lot, entrance on Beretania just ewa of Nuuanu Ave. The lot just mauka of Mark's Garage tends to be full.

2. The Living Room at the Wharf (Fisherman's Wharf)
    pupus, dinner and drinks
    524-0150
    Hours are Mondays 4 PM – 2 AM; Tuesdays 4 PM – 4 AM; Saturdays 6 PM – 4 AM.
    Free parking
    A friend highly recommended it and I look forward to checking it out in the new year. I saw an article that leads me to believe it turns into a club at 10p.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      JJ Dolan's (an Irish pub).
      Then it's got to be good! Erin go brah!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        Another Blazin' Steaks just opened up at the Ala Moana Food Court, right next to Little Cafe Siam, just before you go down the short set of stairs. The cashier I spoke with said they opened just last week.

I expected the prices to be a little higher than the others, or the portions a little smaller at least. I noticed that their menu board did not read "8 oz. steak plate for $6" like the others. It just said "Regular Steak Plate - $6". I was surprised to find out that a regular plate (plus salad and drink) is still only $6 and the portions looked about the same because I was pretty stuffed.

I can't remember what was there before. Does anyone remember?
        I think it was an okonomiyaki place.

Comment

Has anybody tried out the recently opened "Z Pizza" at Ward?

I liked the ingredients, and the pizza was served fresh and hot (I didn't go for the two premade slices/drink deal), but it was definitely a little bland. Not sure if it's because of the low-fat cheese or the organic sauce not having much in the way of spices, but even heavy doses of hot pepper flakes didn't seem to make much of a difference. I like their flavor combinations, and the wheat crust was thin, so I didn't feel like I was eating a cardboard box crust (which is often how I feel when I eat wheat crust). Maybe I'll have to try a different pizza when I visit again (I had the Provence one this time). It's nice to have another place that serves pizza by the slice--there are so few of them here.

BW3s is going to be opening at Discovery Bay. I miss my Blazin' Hot Sauce--used to make visitors from Ohio bring me some before I'd let them in my door to stay with me. I used to love it on their veggie wraps.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            1. (I've mentioned this in another thread...)
            JJ Dolan's (an Irish pub)[...]
            Forgot to mention that, during lunch, pizza by the slice is an option altho' it doesn't show on the menu. Not sure about dinner. (Thanx for the reminder, AC!)
            Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
            [...]BW3s is going to be opening at Discovery Bay.[...]
            Am I assuming correctly that's the buffalo wings "grill and bar" (don't remember the actual name) that will open in the spring in the large space formerly occupied by Shanghai Bistro? I'm looking forward to that. Must say, tho', that with the exception of Starbucks, McDonalds and Subway, restaurants tend to have a tough time in Discovery Bay.

Another restaurant opening in the spring is IHOP, a couple of buildings Diamond Head of Discovery Bay, in the Aqua Palms and Spa Resort. I'm a fan of Wailana Coffee Shop and hope their business, which is already impacted by the economy, doesn't fall to the competitor.

It's gotta be a very scary time to be opening a new business, in general, and a new restaurant, in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              Another Blazin' Steaks just opened up at the Ala Moana Food Court, right next to Little Cafe Siam, just before you go down the short set of stairs.

I can't remember what was there before. Does anyone remember?
              I remember a Mrs. Field Cookie Shoppe being there in that spot. I don't remember if that was the last vendor who had that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                I remember a Mrs. Field Cookie Shoppe being there in that spot. I don't remember if that was the last vendor who had that spot.
                oh how i miss Mrs Field's Cookies! To me, their cookies are way better than Cookie Corner. Is there any Mrs Field's on the island other than the one by Hungry Lion?
                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
                  oh how i miss Mrs Field's Cookies! To me, their cookies are way better than Cookie Corner. Is there any Mrs Field's on the island other than the one by Hungry Lion?
                  According to this: http://www.mrsfields.com/stores/?sta...ount=20&page=1 the one in Nuuanu is the only one.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Had lunch at Pho Dillingham & Grill which is at the old location of Spot's Inn.

Comment

• Re: New Establishments

does anyone know of a new york style pizzaria place here in town - that serves pizza by the slice?

couldn't find one for the past 2 months. all i want is a new york brooklyn style oily with real pepperoni's by the slice pizza.....or just a slice cheese pizza!!!

thanks a bunch
                      stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                        does anyone know of a new york style pizzaria place here in town - that serves pizza by the slice?

couldn't find one for the past 2 months. all i want is a new york brooklyn style oily with real pepperoni's by the slice pizza.....or just a slice cheese pizza!!!

thanks a bunch
                        Think you're probably outta luck. The only thin-crust pizza places I know that sell by the slice are Z Pizza at Ward Center and Boston's Pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                          does anyone know of a new york style pizzaria place here in town - that serves pizza by the slice? [...]
                          See post #95 in this thread! The Irish pub serves NY pizza!

Comment

http://bostonspizzahawaii.com/

got slices there a couple of times - so so - at the time, they kept the "cooked" slices in a glass case that didn't appear to be all that regulated (heated or cooled) - it appears that they have remodeled since and may have better storage equipment. You can't go wrong if you get a whole pie, they toss it and make it fresh - and it's ono.

Comment

I noticed this morning that the new iHop in the Aqua Palms & Spa Hotel in Waikiki is now open for business.

Aqua Palms & Spa was formerly know as Aston Waikiki Parkside Hotel, located at 1850 Ala Moana Blvd. (across the Hilton Hawaiian Village).

iHop is right in the front at street level next to the lobby entrance. Can't miss it. I'm sure nextdoor neighboring old timer Wailana Coffee Shop is overjoyed about that.

This makes that iHop's second location, with the other being over on Kuhio avenue in the Ohana Malia Hotel.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

sorry if someone already posted this but bangkok chef recently opened a new branch in manoa (2955 e. manoa road); just a short walk from the manoa marketplace.

the nuuanu branch has a much more interesting atmosphere (converted garage) but the parking there sucks.

the manoa branch interior is new and clean but could use an interior designer. food served in styrofoam containers

http://www.bangkokchefexpress.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bangkok-chef-honolulu
                                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                                X