Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha Air files bankruptcy, again

Originally posted by mel View Post
    Some of Island Air's planes are still flying Aloha's old colors. And yes, this is a good opportunity for Island Air to gradually expand.
    This is where I attribute Aloha's poor management skills. Instead of spinning off Island Air back in what, 2003, they should have gotten rid of their 737-200s. Kept the Island Air division as interisland, even grow it's fleet a little.

I also don't quite understand how the gov't can stick it's hand in this because Aloha is completely private and never reports any of their numbers. And why did Banmiller get to stay onboard after the last bankruptcy? Most companies that undergo bankruptcies eject their leadership for new ones. Didn't that happen with Dunkerly and Hawaiian? And Hawaiian took a turn in the right direction after their bankruptcy.

Comment

go! Knocks down a giant with its huge fleet of five airplanes? i think not..its always easier to blame someone else.....go is probably part of the equation but like so many things in this state its the business environment that takes its toll on most businesses that fail......and if the competitor is giving you fits dont blame the competitor ....look within and be dynamic.......time to change and change is not welcome here.......so the dinosaurs die.
      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

for those of you with credit cards through first hawaiian bank that partnered with aloha airlines mileage program, please read this: http://fhb.com/info-alohaairawards.h...a_AirAirAwards you will be upgraded to their priority awards card. my only question is, will they honor accrued mileage or will you have to start all over again?

craig: could you have rebooked with united?
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

1900 employees let go as Aloha airlines shuts down!
          http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...e=nletter-news
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
            for those of you with credit cards through first hawaiian bank that partnered with aloha airlines mileage program, please read this: http://fhb.com/info-alohaairawards.h...a_AirAirAwards you will be upgraded to their priority awards card. my only question is, will they honor accrued mileage or will you have to start all over again?

craig: could you have rebooked with united?

The San Diego flight was thru another airliner. It was the Honolulu to Hilo leg that we had to rebook.

I'm concerned at the abruptness of the stopping of service without any notice to ticket holders as well as employees. That to me will probably have an effect on the management practices of Aloha and this morning's bid by Lingle to have the bancruptcy court judge to reconsider their ruling on Aloha.

Howard Dicus on channel Nine this morning gave what I consider a fairly well balanced look at why Aloha was denied to file for reorganization. Yes go! had something to do with it but also banks that are also in the mortgage lending business were less willing to support the best prospective buyers for Aloha Airlines. Basically Aloha had no buyers that could do a better job than Aloha itself. To sum it up, it was the economy that killed Aloha thru bad lending practices. go! was a convenient scapegoat to blame their woes on because they did have a part in their demise however I don't think it was to be blamed entirely.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I had to book a flight to Kona for the end of April for work just now and it took me almost 15 minutes to get to the payment section on the Hawaiian Airlines website!

My boss had issues putting in her Hawaiian Miles (due to marriage/name change) and tried calling the 800 number. She gave up after a while and will do it later because I can imagine they're getting inundated with Aloha's customers.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I thought Republican candidate Ted Hong's blame game op-ed here
                about Aloha Airlines closure was a bunch of hogwash. He blames the Democrat controlled legislature and Hawaii’s poor business climate for Aloha demise. He also tries to tie in that this shutdown is another example Hawaii won’t avoid the US Mainland recession. What a bunch of scare tactics. Aloha’s demise was due to predatory airfares by Go/Mesa Airlines and high fuel costs. Which were exacerbated by fuel guzzling aircraft Aloha currently employs. Neither can be pinned upon the Democrat controlled legislature or Hawaii’s poor business climate.
                Last edited by Konaguy; March 31, 2008, 04:11 PM.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I am kind of wondering of the following:
                  1. Aloha merging with either Hawaiian or go!?
                  2. Do go! attempt to buy Aloha early on before setting up shop here in Hawaii?

Comment

Does anyone know when Aloha's last flight touches or touched down? Are their any remaining aircraft on the West Coast deadheading back to Honolulu? Have we, in fact, seen our last Aloha bird in the sky?

Comment

Court has decided no intervention is needed. I actually think Ted Hong's piece has some merit. It's not just go! or rising fuel prices or poor management at Aloha that did it in. It's the harsh business climate Hawaii is well known for. Practically everything is union here. The GET tax is a tax with amplification since it taxes the same at all levels. Activism and NIMBYs are in overdrive.

By the way, am I the only one here who thinks Banmiller is a jerk on simply just dropping the bomb with little time for people to react and prepare? So much for family within Aloha. As CEO he knew when the call was being made. And if you want a refund, they tell you to take it up with bankruptcy court. What is his severance package? Because Aloha is private, we may never know. More reason I don't support throwing public money into this basket case.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        Does anyone know when Aloha's last flight touches or touched down? Are their any remaining aircraft on the West Coast deadheading back to Honolulu? Have we, in fact, seen our last Aloha bird in the sky?
                        I think it's a flight from Maui that gets in to Honolulu at or around 10pm tonight.

I think all of the returning mainland flights should have landed by now.

Comment

From KHNL News8:

AQ 477 received a water salute at the Oakland Airport.

Gotta admit, that got me kinda teary eyed.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I stopped briefly at the end of Lagoon Drive to watch a few Aloha Airlines departures and arrivals. Takeoffs were all from the mauka runways, sadlly... I was hoping to see one last takeoff from the reef runway. But, I did see the "Funbird" come in for a landing. One of its last.

I actually saw it take off again as I was driving home, at around 6:06 p.m. I'm wondering if it will be the last jet to come back to Honolulu. Considering the paint scheme was unveiled to invoke nostalgia for the airline's golden years, it would be somewhat fitting.

Comment

Inefficient planes combined with rising fuel costs are a bad problem.
                              Union labor prices don't help either. Is go! union?
                              Bad management is obvious, especially not upgrading the planes.

Businesses come and go. Nothing is permanent. As for the employees, it's a shame. But perhaps we should put a positive spin on it, similar to the way folks celebrated on Molokai after soundly defeating MRP.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I feel for the employees.

I would feel more for the company if it wasn't a privately-held monolith. Perhaps if I owned its stock like I do with HA, I would think differently. That said, I will always have my memories of AQ, along with the luggage tags that I will keep for old time's sake, and my gold mastercard (which has neither a balance or any miles racked).

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X