File format for Macs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File format for Macs?

I'm trying to pull data off of a friend's iMac running OS-X from my PC running XP. In the computer management utility of XP it recognizes the SATA drive as unallocated. Basically it sees it as an unformatted hard drive.

I'm thinking I'll need a Mac to pull data off of this hard drive unless there's a program out there that will read Mac files on an XP computer.

Has anyone ever pulled data in this kind of scenerio?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: File format for Macs?

Yes, but only with another Mac. Do you know how to do it with a Mac?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

No and I'm assuming I'll need a USB external enclosure to do it too in conjunction with another Mac. I was hoping Mac formats were either FAT32 or NTFS but alas it isn't.

Comment

I think the Mac uses an Apple file system called HFS, a format Win XP doesn't recognize. Don't much about Macs, but if the Mac is still working and if you don't have too many files to transfer, would it be possible to transfer the data to a dvd on the Mac, then take that dvd and import those files to the Win XP system? That way the files will be backed up in case problems arise. Don't know what files will be usable on your Windows system. I suspect that MS Office files and jpgs should be okay, but don't know about the rest, especially if they are application specific to the Mac. You may need to look to the net for utilities to help solve your problem. Another thought, I think FAT 32 can be read by the Mac. If you have a spare usb external hard drive which happen to be formatted as FAT 32, it might work.

Comment

There's a utility called MacDrive that allows Windows to read HFS.

Comment

Put the Mac files on a thumb drive and copy them from the thumb drive to your PC. If too big, burn files to DVD disc, put DVD in PC, copy files to PC.

On Mac, go into Preferences, Sharing and turn on Windows sharing. Then you should be able to mount the Mac volume and copy files across the network.
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

About 10 years ago, I used a windows program called MacOpener to open Mac files from Mac formatted jaz cartridges on window NT machine. The jaz cart showed up as a volume on the nt machine.

I used to do all my audio work on a mac and transfer to the a windows machine for work in Adobe Premiere.

There was one quirk. Occassionaly, after copying the mac files to my nt machine, I would have to restart the nt machine. Aside from that, it worked pretty well.

Garry

Comment

MacDrive looks exactly what I need however at $50 it's a bit much for just one transfer. Maybe later I'll pick it up as I'm beginning to see Macs coming in for repair.

The Mac computer displays the grey apple and the gong but that's where it ends. I presume the OS is corrupted somehow as it won't boot to it's desktop configuration.

My friend is buying another Mac so I'll probably wait for him to get it and try using a USB external hard drive and pull data that way.

Comment

hello,

if the older mac has a firewire port and is "new" enough - you could start in target disk mode:

start the mac and hold down the T key.

if it's possible, you'll see a gray screen with the firewire symbol.

connect to another mac with firewire and it will mount on the desktop... simply copy the files you need.

good luck.

joel

Comment

Ah, filesystems - one of the last great obstacles to compatibility. Modern (10.x) macs actually run HFS+, a replacement for the original HFS (also called Mac OS Standard). Contrary to common misconception, it's not just HFS with journaling. Fun fact: the only filesystem that both Windows and OSX can read/write is FAT32.

I'd be really careful with 3rd party filesystem utilities. If you absolutely must use something like this, make sure to mount the HFS+ filesystem as read-only.

I might just be paranoid, but I hate losing data.
                    I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                    X