laptop recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: laptop recommendation?

That's interesting. I just read that forum you linked and one poster indicated the 8400M GT had 128Mb of onboard RAM yet Sony's website indicated the 8400M GT uses the allowable 256Mb of shared RAM specified for Vista.

I called my boy an hour ago and told him to do the upgrade on the graphics and also to upgrade the battery. Apparently the stock battery has a 1.5 hour run time while the extended battery gives 2.5 hours of use.

Man that Blu-Ray drive and HDMI output alone makes for one great home entertainment system. Too bad the optical drive tray opens from the side making it difficult to use it in a home entertainment center.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Okay so now my boy's getting sticker shock at the price of these monster laptops and is thinking more conservatively.

So the questions begs? What do you think is the best laptop for gaming for under $1,000? Obviously $1,500 to $2,000 is getting too expensive for my boy to fathom.

Comment

looking forward to anyone who answers that question cuz a good gaming laptop with a $1k ceiling is hard to imagine but it would obviously be highly desirable!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Oh well too late, my boy wanted one so bad he ordered the Viao with the 8600M GT and topped the RAM at 4Gb. In all the base price was $1500 and with the add ons I think it came to just under $1800.

I'm drooling because that laptop has an HDMI output to display the Blu-Ray DVD's. Man that's one killer laptop.

Comment

i don't recall if someone here recommended it but if not, www.notebookreview.com is an excellent site for info on notebooks. the mostly user-based reviews are detailed and very informative and their message board is quite active....
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

This is the Laptop that I'm pretty sure I'll be buying in Feb. '09!
              HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-70 - Bronze/Chrome Model: dv7-1135nr

64 Bit system
              17" wide screen display
              4GB memory
              250GB hard drive
              Terrific customer reviews.
              And more...
              Check the link to Best Buy below.
              http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218010538308
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                This is the Laptop that I'm pretty sure I'll be buying in Feb. '09!
                17" wide screen display
                MM be sure you really want a 17" screen. We have one and they aren't as portable as our 15" screen. The larger screen is better adapted as a desk top replacement. But if you are going to use it as a desk top, just purchase a desktop - less expensive with more features.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  MM be sure you really want a 17" screen. We have one and they aren't as portable as our 15" screen. The larger screen is better adapted as a desk top replacement. But if you are going to use it as a desk top, just purchase a desktop - less expensive with more features.
                  Thanks Matapule!
                  It will be mainly 'desktop' with occasional portability useful. And who knows?!
                  I'm going for Mobi (Hele) mobile broadband for internet access anyway.
                  I'm not a gamer, this model has all the features I need and will take up less room at home too.
                  Maybe a costlier way to go, but "It will GO!"
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I have two work laptops. Both perform well. But, one weighs about twice the other one. If the computer is all I am lugging around, it is not so much an issue. But if I have my case, and maybe some carry on luggage, etc, the extra weight becomes a real issue of convenience.

Next time I purchase a laptop, the weight of the computer and the case will be much more of a consideration for me. Live and learn.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

MM, I agree with the others. That's more of a transportable (luggable) desktop than a true portable.

On the other end of the spectrum is this model. Not sure as I'm wild about the Acer brand, but after lugging my HP Laptop around on vacation, it's portability is attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        [...]
                        On the other end of the spectrum is this model. Not sure as I'm wild about the Acer brand, but after lugging my HP Laptop around on vacation, it's portability is attractive.
                        The Acer model you linked was just featured on the Today Show as a very good, low cost option.

Comment

I picked up a ASUS Eee notebook from Best Buy back in September. It's main purpose is to transfer data from an electronic payload that has just been lofted by a model rocket.

It's weight and size meets my needs, there is more than enough storage for what I need to do. Of course the notebook has no CD-ROM but it's 3 USB ports is alright (I only got 2 USB ports on my Compaq 7 pound laptop). I can live with the 900 MHz processor. The keyboard however is a pain to use so I didn't use it during last month NaNoWriMo event.

Comment

Two years ago it was reported that various chip and fiber optic tech. R&D had been greatly increased to make lap tops incredibly more powerful/efficient AND cost much less, aimed towards being available early this year. But it seems that has not been the case, for the most part. Maybe the Acer is a rare example, but I get the feeling the companies are holding out on us.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              The Acer model you linked was just featured on the Today Show as a very good, low cost option.
                              I just played with this Acer model at Costco today. I am intrigued! Cost is $349. Costco also had the HP version with a somewhat larger screen and better ergonomics. Cost is $449.

However, if I want a super compact laptop (I do!) I would probably opt for the HP with 14" screen, full size keyboard, CD/DVD burner, better speakers, included software for around $599.
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Matapule...

...what is the model name/#s for the larger Acer and the HP $600 issue?
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X