Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compliments you wish you never got

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
    My favorite, though, was at age 13, from a so-called "well-meaning" nurse in a doctor's office (who, in reality, was a mean witch)--"You'd be SO pretty if you'd just lose some weight". I was a little overweight then, but not much, at all, and certainly not obese...and so what if I was, if I was healthy?! As for being pretty--who could feel pretty after a "compliment" like that?!

I felt like telling her I could diet, but she was ugly as sin and could do nothing about it...but my mama raised me to be polite.
    Wow, that IS mean. Especially since you were only 13 and she was a nurse. I received similar comments, but from aunties. And like you, I was never THAT fat!

Comment

From various authorities over the years: "You have a lot of potential."

If a military performance report has room left over to comment "Maintains diligent control of all classified material under their custody", then it's not a compliment...

"Dad, that shirt looks good on you. Can I ask you a favor?"
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but....

Wife: "I hate this dress. It makes me look fat and ugly."
        Me: "Don't be silly, honey. It doesn't make you look ugly."

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          I knew she's your mother! You look just like her!

heheheh

My daughters always gets dis one.

Auntie Lynn

btw: I love this thread. I laughed at each one.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I almost told an employee at the Sprint store that he looked like Pete Wentz. Then I remembered this thread and kept my mouth shut.
            Famous or not, Pete Wentz looks kinda goofy.
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

A mother telling her daughter that she has a pretty face if she lost a little weight.

Comment

While walking with my 5-year old son Jesse I was told, "My that's a fine grandson you have"

and at McDonalds after receiving a Senior Coffee by mistake, "But sir if in doubt we give the discount anyway" Oh thanks.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  While walking with my 5-year old son Jesse I was told, "My that's a fine grandson you have"
                  My 16-year-old daughter and I went out to eat after surfing. (Beach clothes, damp hair, no makeup.) With the waiter standing there, she told me to go ahead and order first while she made up her mind. After I ordered, the waiter turned to her and said "Thank you sir, and for your wife?"

First time it'd happened to either one of us. She was grossed out for days. Every time she started to get over it, I'd tell her that I thought the waiter was being very complimentary about my youthful appearance.

I wasn't sure which way to tip-- insulted or appreciative...
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

You're better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                      My MIL insists that I look 17. I'm 28. I know I look young for my age- probably about 23 or so. I've looked 23 for the last 8 years. But really- 17? Come on, now. After seeing the way 17 year olds around here act and dress, that is NOT a compliment in any way. I'm an adult. At least give me that acknowledgement. I've earned it, dammit!
                      I gotta shake the hand of the man that married you. Score!!!
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                      X