Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV Series You NEED to Get on DVD

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Those are both available on DVD. Check Scrivener's explanation regarding this thread.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I feel like an idiot. Scratch that post please.

Comment

Hey guys. A lot of TV season box sets are half off on amazon.com . I think I'll check out Magnum P.I. !

Comment

Originally posted by asuhoru View Post
        Thanks for pointing that out. I feel like an idiot. Scratch that post please.
        You are no idiot - you just needed a new map. Now, you're cool, yeah?

What bugs me is when companies release some material from a show, then decide the profit was too low to release the remainder. There are a number of shows where I've got the first couple seasons, but nothing further has come out ---

Whose Line Is It Anyway? - both the US and UK versions, only the first two seasons are out on DVD, and it's not looking like that will change.
        Made In Canada - a great CBC series about the television industry, and they only issued the first six (summer replacement) shows; no sign of the remaining several seasons.
        Space Ghost - Coast To Coast - only three sets have been issued, leaving a lot of material not on DVD.
        Last edited by Leo Lakio; January 26, 2009, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I've just finished watching Showtime's "The Tudors." I enjoyed it immensely.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Maybe I missed seeing it, but I don't believe anyone mentioned "China Beach." Shot in Hawaii from 1988 to 1991, this Viet Nam era drama really made an impact on me. Still not on DVD, I've even gone on sites to petition for its DVD release. No word if it is forthcoming, and the copies out for sale now are poor bootlegs.

This show introduced many of us to the acting talents of Dana Delaney and Marg Helgenberger, among many others. Maybe the whole Viet Nam War era is an unpopular memory to many of the older generation, but this show was the sound track of my coming of age. It seemed that whether you served in the war or not, everyone had strong feelings about it, one way or another. Kinda like Iraq now, right? I wish it was currently in syndication, so I could tape it while they still sell VHS tapes, lol! Great stories, and great acting.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
              I've just finished watching Showtime's "The Tudors." I enjoyed it immensely.
              I have the last DVD of season #2 to watch this weekend. If anyone has any interest in history, this series would be interesting. It's not totally historically accurate but it's really well done - photography, costumes and acting. I'm looking forward to season #3 which starts in a couple of weeks.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                "China Beach." Shot in Hawaii from 1988 to 1991
                It was? I don't remember that. "Tour of Duty" was originally shot in Hawaii for at least one season, but then moved to - I think - Hollywood. They have released a DVD set.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  It was? I don't remember that.
                  IMDB lists over 1100 films and individual TV episodes that were filed on location in Hawai`i.

Comment

Maybe I missed seeing it, but I don't believe anyone mentioned "China Beach." Shot in Hawaii from 1988 to 1991, this Viet Nam era drama really made an impact on me. Still not on DVD, I've even gone on sites to petition for its DVD release. No word if it is forthcoming, and the copies out for sale now are poor bootlegs.

This show introduced many of us to the acting talents of Dana Delaney and Marg Helgenberger, among many others.
                    Among many others, definitely. Robert Picardo, Concetta Tomei, and Ricki Lake were some of my favorites. Although Delany's character (McMurphy)was the central figure, it was truly an ensemble cast that made China Beach so memorable.

Maybe the whole Viet Nam War era is an unpopular memory to many of the older generation,
                    It's not the topicality that's the issue here. China Beach faces the same problem as the Wonder Years getting officially released on DVD. Paying for the music rights. Nearly every episode of China Beach featured numerous hit songs from the late 1960s/early '70s time period. Years ago, there was a China Beach soundtrack CD that featured tracks from John Lennon, Janis Joplin, Marvin Gaye, etc. (Not to mention the opening theme song, "Reflections" by the Supremes.) Now the music on that CD was just the tip of the iceberg, compared to the scores of songs that were used on the show. Warner Brothers apparently feels that whatever sales they are able to get from a China Beach DVD release will not justify the expenditure of repurchasing the rights to re-use the songs. Looking at it from a botton line perspective, it's hard to argue with their beancounters. The show, while critically acclaimed, was not a ratings success when it was being aired on ABC. And it's hard to say with a straight face that China Beach will be a raving success on the home video market 20 years later.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      It's not the topicality that's the issue here. China Beach faces the same problem as the Wonder Years getting officially released on DVD. Paying for the music rights. Nearly every episode of China Beach featured numerous hit songs from the late 1960s/early '70s time period. Years ago, there was a China Beach soundtrack CD that featured tracks from John Lennon, Janis Joplin, Marvin Gaye, etc. (Not to mention the opening theme song, "Reflections" by the Supremes.) Now the music on that CD was just the tip of the iceberg, compared to the scores of songs that were used on the show. Warner Brothers apparently feels that whatever sales they are able to get from a China Beach DVD release will not justify the expenditure of repurchasing the rights to re-use the songs. Looking at it from a botton line perspective, it's hard to argue with their beancounters. The show, while critically acclaimed, was not a ratings success when it was being aired on ABC. And it's hard to say with a straight face that China Beach will be a raving success on the home video market 20 years later.
                      Bingo. That's why it took so long to release WKRP on DVD (and why several of the songs in it were replaced before release, as was also the case with Northern Exposure).

Comment

I liked China Beach even if it was emotionally draining watching an episode. I remember a local actress was in the series for a few episodes. She might have been a former Miss Hawaii. I don't see her name in the regular cast in Wikipedia.

Comment

"China Beach" was a great show and it is too bad the music rights issue has long delayed this series release to DVD.

Another series that was impacted by music rights issue is "Crime Story" (a hard hitting Michael Mann series from the mid 1980s about cops and crime lords in the early 1960s). They used a lot of old rock n roll songs from the 50s and early 60s to fill the soundtrack. Some songs did not appear on early episodes of the season 1 DVDs. For some reason music that appeared in the later episodes are included on the DVD. Strange those music rights issues.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            For some reason music that appeared in the later episodes are included on the DVD. Strange those music rights issues.
                            Well, if a company has to negotiate with numerous publishers, it's not altogether surprising. Some parties will be more amenable to dealing than others.

It really is a pity. Programs like Happy Days, the Wonder Years, and China Beach worked really hard to be authentic to the times they were trying to recreate. Part of what added to the atmosphere was the music. Now when they were first-run network shows, the budget was there to readily purchase the music rights. And in many cases, those original deals covered a round or two of syndication. Then the music rights were allowed to lapse. Nobody at the studios dreamed that 20 years down the road, there would be a demand for complete seasons on DVD.

I wonder if there's going to be an artistic consequence resulting from all this. For instance, will producers of new TV shows thinking of the DVD market alter their soundtrack choices to use generic music or only utilizing selections owned by one particular publisher?
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I wonder if there's going to be an artistic consequence resulting from all this. For instance, will producers of new TV shows thinking of the DVD market alter their soundtrack choices to use generic music or only utilizing selections owned by one particular publisher?
                              These days, when negotiating the rights to use music in a TV episode, it is standard procedure to include language that covers licensing for home-video release, be it tape, DVD, online, on-demand, etc. Just a bit more in the fees, part of the cost of doing business; it doesn't enter into the producer's or director's mind any more than it did before; it's the music supervisor who does the work, tracks the material, makes the recommendations, etc.

Comment

music rights
                                I've got a friend in another forum who was part of a cover band that re-did the songs for home video release. I forget which movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X