Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

Would you be able to purchase stolen signs of mayoral candidates on e-bay?

Comment

Interestingly, Panos Prevedouros has posted video on his website of a Mayoral candidate forum held at the Hawai‘i Kai Neighborhood Board meeting. Oh what to do with your time, when you’ve taken a “leave of absence” from UH. All kidding aside, it is a good chance to see the candidates before they tear each other’s head off in next week’s debate. City Councilwoman Ann Kobayashi also attended. Not surprisingly, Mayor Hannemann is absent, instead being represented by one of his deputies, Sidney Quintal.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

This Honolulu mayor's race should have a nickname the way ESPN gives a big college football game a catchy description title. The "March for the Mayor 08" with M.H, A.K, and P.P. Scratch the initials of the first and last name nicknames.
        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; September 12, 2008, 07:56 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Just received an unsolicited call from a 703 area code, picked the phone up and the voice tells me to vote for Panos Prevedouros. Why do I get picked to receive this phone call?? Guess he is hiring some mainland firm to handle these voice automated calls.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            Just received an unsolicited call from a 703 area code, picked the phone up and the voice tells me to vote for Panos Prevedouros. Why do I get picked to receive this phone call?? Guess he is hiring some mainland firm to handle these voice automated calls.
            Interesting. I did some checking, and lo and behold: apparently, you aren’t the only one receiving automated political phone calls from the 703 area code. Maybe it’s a “underdog desperation” thaang.
            The one in particular was coming from a 703 area code number with a named caller ID, so it rang through. Turns out it was calls from Huckabees campaign automated dialer.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Let's see, within the past year I've received campaign calls supporting Dennis Kucinich, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, John McCain and Pavos Prevedouros. I guess Pavos is in good company.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Interesting. I did some checking, and lo and behold: apparently, you aren’t the only one receiving automated political phone calls from the 703 area code. Maybe it’s a “underdog desperation” thaang.
                I received a call from 703-263-xxx7 this morning. Once I answer the phone, if someone on the other end doesn't reply within 2 seconds, I hang up 'cuz it means it's a prerecorded message! So, I don't know who this 703 call was from. A half hour later I received another 703 call at my house sitting gig. That one was prerecorded and was a telemarketing call that had to do with mortgages! I hung up. When I return to that house tonight I'll check caller ID to see if it's the same # that called my phone.

The moral of this story? Don't pick up any calls coming from a.c. 703!

Comment

Interestingly, the Honolulu Advertiser published a candidate profile of Panos Prevedouros today. What I found more curious was, they posted an internet poll asking which mayoral candidate would get your vote directly next to the headline and Panos' photo. Small wonder for the skewed results:
                  Last edited by TuNnL; September 15, 2008, 05:00 PM. Reason: pointless. the text size doesn’t increase.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

The best candidate for mayor is the one who can see the rail's path from his/her house.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      The best candidate for mayor is the one who can see the rail's path from his/her house.
                      Maybe one of the lesser known candidates would fit that bill. To their credit, KGMB9 interviewed the “lesser known” mayoral hopefuls, such as George Nitta (owner of Nitta’s Auto Repair), in an effort to give equal time to those vying for the city’s top spot.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        You think that Ann Kobayashi will make this year's Mayoral election exciting? It's not even going to be close. In fact, I would be very surprised if the Mufster doesn't coast to an outright victory in the primary election.
                        Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        16% is too much, TuNnL ... the mayor will win the election on primary election night with just over fifty percent of the vote. I predict something in the neighborhood of 53% to 55%.
                        As I predicted earlier, Ann would make the race exciting and Mufi would garner 49% of the vote, preventing him from an outright primary win. Ann got slightly less then I predicted at 30%. The big surprise was was Panos. I said he would get between 13-16%, but he exceeded even my expectations at nearly 18%.

Now the only question is: how many of Prevedouros’ supporters will now throw their support to Ann? Even if they all switch over, Kobayashi will still need the majority of the undecided vote, and a majority of those who skipped the primary to pull out an upset win in November. That seems very unlikely considering Mufi still hasn’t tapped the lion’$ share of his campaign warchest, and the lingering distrust for Ann after the Duke Bainum incident.
                        Last edited by TuNnL; September 21, 2008, 12:58 AM. Reason: clarity

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

The big surprise was was Panos. I said he would get between 13-16%, but he exceeded even my expectations at nearly 18%.

Now the only question is: how many of Prevedouros’ supporters will now throw their support to Ann?
                          The rail debate and my disgust with Hannemann got me so vexed that I registered to vote and went to the poll for the first time in a great many years (Ross Perot was running for President last time I voted).

And yes, since Panos didn't make it, I will be throwing my support over to Kobayashi. I'm not a fan of Kobayashi, but my vote is for "Anyone but Hanneman!"

Comment

....the lingering distrust for Ann after the Duke Bainum incident.
                            I'm no campaign manager but my bet is that the Bainum incident will be one of the center points in the next few weeks for Mufi's campaign. And that is some pretty strong ammo because no matter how Ann tries to spin it, there is no way Bainum flew back, rented a home in district 5, and filed for the seat without insider info considering he did it right on the very last day. Ann announced her decision to run at 2PM on the last day to file and closing hours was 4:30PM. Calling this coincidence is a joke.

Comment

Lynn Vasquez- Dela Cerna for Ann Kobayashi~ Mayor Honolulu!!
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

What will be the point spread between Hannemann vs. Kobayashi? Hannemann is from a BCS conference, and Kobayashi is from a mid major conference with an easy schedule.
                                Pavos Prevedouros reminds me of Latka in Taxi. Thank you beda much!

Comment

Working...
                                X