Stairway to Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stairway to Heaven

I can see it from the H-3. I know they renovated it in 2002. I saw people hiking on it last week. So my question is, if one hypothetically wanted to take a hypothetical hike on it (and would not be so discourteous as to park their car in someone's neighborhood), where exactly would one go to access it? Just for informational purposes. Like for a paper one was writing for school or something.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Stairway to Heaven

Well... SITE shares this info:
    "Trailhead Location:
    The stairs begin in a forested area about 25 yards mauka (South) of a point about 200 yards in along the H-3 access road. This restricted-access, gated, asphalt road is beneath the H-3 Highway and contours along the base of the cliffs. It was built to allow construction crews access to the completion of the windward side of H-3 in 1996.

Accessing the Trail:
    At present, there is no legal entrance to Haiku Stairs. Expect to be turned away or cited by Honolulu Police. Hikers who have been illegally accessing the trail have been using the H-3 access road via a gated entrance along Puuoni Place (past Haiku Gardens). Hikers have been parking in the residential area which is limited and frowned upon by residents.

Beware: some of the residents of Haiku are extremely hostile toward hikers attempting Haiku Stairs. In their irritation over these hikers utilizing Puuoni Pl, they have managed to get hikers' cars cited or towed."

I haven't been since the seventies.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Please send 'hypothetical' pictures.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Google image search for Haiku Stairs turned up many pages of photos.
        http://images.google.com/images?gbv=...s&start=0&sa=N

Comment

My house looks directly toward the stairs. Helicopters are
          constantly flying over our neighborhood doing tours. I used to enjoy watching them refurbish it, guys hiking up with supplies
          everyday and such.

Comment

No Access to Stairway to Heaven under Mufi.

He says:
            "We don't need it, we can't afford it."
            Goofy Mufi is too worried about lawsuits against the city - no matter what he says - Sacred Falls was open for over 50 years until there was a landslide, now there's another natural resource we can no longer access because of a paranoid government.

MUFI HAS PTSD!

Originally the Haiku Stairway was built by the Coast Guard for their crews to access the antenne which used Haiku Valley for long range radio access to submarines. LORAN, I think they called it.

In the days when LORAN was active, we kids could sneak in under the antenna wires and the charrge given out was so strong it would light up 4-foot flourescent tubes like Jedi lightsabers. Great fun!

Global radio sattelites eliminated the need for LORAN, and the antennas were cut down, and H-3 was planned. (H-3 would have been unlikely if the LORAN was active, and some plans were made for shielding before the LORAN became obsolete.)

When H-3 was in the planning stages, a notable archeologist named Buddy Neller (Famous for discovering and identifying and explaining numerous archeological sites around Oahu) discovered an important heiau in the path of H-3. It could have been avoided at the cost of about 10 million dollars or so, and Buddy Neller spoke out. It wasn't Musfi at that time, but other politicians who decided that Hawaiian ancestry was less important than Federal Dollars (the main reason to build H-3 in the early 1980's). Buddy Neller was censured, fired, and essentially denied any opportunity in Hawaii. Because he was right.

The heiau was buried under H-3 forever. Those of us who protested had our hearts buried with it. Never again will we trust any government agency in Hawaii - state, county, city or locality.

Appropriately, access to Starway to Heaven has been promised and blocked, - promised and blocked, - promised and blocked, - promised and blocked, - promised and blocked, - promised and blocked, - promised and blocked.

I am one who was lucky enough to have climbed the Stairway. The climb is safe, but challenging. Strenuous, but infinately rewarding. The view from the top of the Ko`olau, and all the way up, is spectacular, inspiring. There is nothing like it.

Even the view from the end of the Aiea trail to the Ko`olau ridge (7 miles past the 2.5 mile middle of the Aiea Loop Trail) pales in comparison.

Taking the Stairway to Heaven aay from the People of Hawaii is equivalent to the theft of cultural treasure buried by the H-3 heiau theft.

Criminals are running our government, and if you make a complaint (try it!) you will be greeted with:
            'the safety of the populace' (no one has ever been injured on the Stairway)
            'the need of the people for efficient transport' (H-3 could have avoided the heiau)
            'the interests of the residents' (where else are resident's concerns taken into consideration? I cannot stop 'hunters' from coming through my property and defacing my fences, according to HPD)

Time for me to shut up.

I WANT THE STAIRWAY BACK - FOR US AND FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS!
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Let your politicians know:
              We have a RIGHT to access the Stairway!
              Denying access is denying our rights!
              No one has been injured on the Stairway.
              This is a VALUABLE Hawaii natural Resource!
              Denying us access is counter to the spiritual legacy of Hwaii!
              ~ ~

Comment

There are sooo many places around Hawai'i that general public access has been denied.
                Haiku Stairs, Sacred Falls, Hanauma Bay's Toilet Bowl, Manoa Falls pond, and more...
                Coming soon, Koko Crater hike and...

All truly because the Hawaii State and City & County governments can't figure out proper signage to relieve us all from the financial responsibility of what a private citizen chooses to do.

If someone walks past a sign that states... "Beyond this point, you are solely responsible... blah, blah. blah.

Other places around the country and world still have access to perceived dangerous spots. Why can't we?

Comment

So the best I can find is something called Omega Station? Looks like everyone whose gone has studied topography maps or something. I'm not that great at orientation. All these people can find the trailhead...it's GOT to be there somewhere. And that one website has removed anything helpful. Grrr.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Sorry, SG - if you go ahead & take this hike (just because you've seen other lawbreakers doing it) & get injured, or have your car towed for illegal parking or if you get cited for trespassing, I will not have any sympathy for you. I will not want to listen to your whining because you got caught.

Why is it that so many think that rules and laws just do not apply to them if they want something? I've just never understood that.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Haha, my bf would hypothetically love to egg the houses of people who complain too much about nothing, and hypothetically get hikers cars towed!! Cuz hypothetically speaking, there's nothing wrong with getting some fresh air and exercise, and parking on roads that our hypothetical tax dollars paid for paving!

So, when do we, hypothetically, of course, do the stairs?
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        Sorry, SG - if you go ahead & take this hike (just because you've seen other lawbreakers doing it) & get injured, or have your car towed for illegal parking or if you get cited for trespassing, I will not have any sympathy for you. I will not want to listen to your whining because you got caught.

Why is it that so many think that rules and laws just do not apply to them if they want something?...
                        Well, you've never been the most sympathetic in the past so why should anything change now. I promise, you are the last poster anybody should come 'whining' to.

Why are the rules and laws so arbitrary?

Give me a waiver to sign that says "I promise to be very careful with my life and safety, and I swear not to sue anybody for any risk I may take", then get outta the way. Like anybody wants to hurt themselves and sue, save for a handful of sickos....!

Hypothetically speaking.
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

What a bunch of wimps we are in Hawai`i.

Government should be our servant, instead it is our master.

The police don't enforce the laws unless it's easy for them, punishing the law-abiders and letting the violators skate. (This is one of Boise's biggest frustrations, and a big source of internal conflict at HPD.)
                          We vote only for incumbents and vigorous sign-wavers.
                          We knuckle-under to government incompetency (such as access to our valuable natural resources).

Time to organize, and take a stand, folks....

What's that? A luau? Oh, where? when?
                          OK, I guess our riot can wait till next week, I guess....
                          Last edited by Kaonohi; December 22, 2008, 08:56 PM. Reason: schpelling
                          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            Well, you've never been the most sympathetic in the past so why should anything change now. I promise, you are the last poster anybody should come 'whining' to.

Why are the rules and laws so arbitrary?

Give me a waiver to sign that says "I promise to be very careful with my life and safety, and I swear not to sue anybody for any risk I may take", then get outta the way. Like anybody wants to hurt themselves and sue, save for a handful of sickos....!

Hypothetically speaking.
                            Perhaps because folks will go ahead & sign a waiver, get injured and then go "oh darn, I didn't really mean that waiver so I'm going to sue the C&C for my injuries anyway"? Believe me, that has happened before. Again, because so many don't feel that the rules & laws apply to them.

So TG - no, I'm not very sympathetic to folks who break the law just because they feel like it. and I don't feel bad about it at all.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I think your ire towards the mayor is misplaced. If anything is to be blamed, it's the out-of-control litigation that has plagued our society. Whenever someone gets hurt, even if it is caused by an act of Mother Nature (i.e. Sacred Falls landslide) or by one's own carelessness/stupidity, the first thought of too many people are: who can we sue?

Blame Mufi if you want. But things won't change no matter who is the mayor. What's really needed to make a difference is litigation reform.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X