Loco Moco!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loco Moco!!

Has anybody tried the loco moco at Sam Choy's BL&C? (I've been meaning to try it for years, but rarely get over to that side.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Geez, my gall bladder just had a twitch thinking about all that fat in a typical loco moco, BUT, after seeing Pomai's pic I'm going to make a point to take the family to AMBP after I get the damned thing pulled out.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Diners in Kalihi actually has a nice loco moco, believe it or not.
        Did they change their recipe? I wasn't too impressed with it when I tried it several months ago. The meat was very dense, like a factory pressed beef patty. Maybe it's better now, I'll give them another chance, especially since there aren't too many places to get a loco moco after midnight

Comment

"Scrivner" and "Craig" are correct about Cafe 100's loco moco: no better than average, and that's s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g it! I eat theirs out of nostalgia, habit, and the fact that I know the owners. They'd be miles ahead with freshly-made patties instead of the frozen ones.

I've had the loco moco from Karen's Kitchen on Cooke Street: huge patty and it included sauteed onions. Mushrooms were in it once upon a time - DELICIOUS!

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
            Geez, my gall bladder just had a twitch thinking about all that fat in a typical loco moco
            Here's to more twitching....

Loco Moco from Surf and Snacks Diamond Head concession stand @ Ala Moana Beach Park, $6.50

As good (or bad) as that may look, it wasn't nearly as good as the hamburger steak plate from Concessions Surf and Snacks on the Ewa end of AMBP. The gravy lacked depth, the the burger patty was just, eh, OK (and not nearly 10 oz. like it says on the menu), rice was soggy, and mac salad just, eh, OK. The sunnyside-up eggs were perfect. Gotta' say that.

Overall, it didn't warrant the impending Angioplasty required later.

Here's the place...

This particular Loco Moco may have not been the greatest, but at least it came with a view!...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              I agree, Cafe 100 makes what I believe is the lousiest locomoco despite their incredable menu selection. Today's special is the Salmon Loco (Bleh!!!) If they'd only get away from using those frozen patties and went with fresh hand made patties, I'd think Cafe 100 could be the king of loco. But the cut corners with the frozen variety and the powdered mix gravy. Heck even Zippy's makes a better loco moco!
              Gotta' admit, Zippy's gravy kicks okole. Awesome. But they also use the frozen patties (probably May's) like you said Cafe 100 does. Also, it's a rip off at $8.00 for a Loco Moco at the take-out counter. That's ridiculous.

Speaking of Cafe 100 on the Big Island, the Food Network aired a new episode today of "Have Fork, Will Travel" with that absolutely obnoxious, irritating "comedian" host. He visited Cafe 100 and sat down with the owner while chowing down on their signature Loco Moco dish, plus another "deluxe" version that included SPAM, sausage and Mac salad.

According to what the (second generation) owner told him, the term "Loco Moco" came about from the inventor, who's nickname was "Crazy", hence, "Loco" in Mexican. Hence the name "Loco Moco", with "Moco" not having any other tie by just sounding catchy.

That's weird. I would of thought "Loco Moco" descended from something more like "Local Moke".
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If you're in Tokyo you can get great loco moco at a Hawaiian restaurant called Zago.It's on route 16 near Fussa,the U.S. airforce base.

Comment

Sam Choy's spot on the Big Island used to have pretty good Loco moco, but last I went there they closed down.
                  Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    Then order without the egg.
                    If you don't want the egg, then why bother ordering a loco-moco? Like ordering a cheeseburger deluxe with no cheese. Just get a hamburger steak plate w/ gravy.

One interesting variation is Zippy's Chili-Moco, whenever it is on their menu. Basically, it's their chili-n-rice with an egg and patty. If you're a fan of Zippy's chili, it's something you've got to try.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 23, 2008, 08:34 PM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by aoimizu View Post
                      If you're in Tokyo you can get great loco moco at a Hawaiian restaurant called Zago.It's on route 16 near Fussa,the U.S. airforce base.
                      I used to travel to/from Yokota AFB and Tokyo. Fussa is quite a ways outside of Tokyo, at least an hour by train? Interesting that a Hawaiian restaurant would be way out there.

Comment

We asked, you answered: The 12 best places to get a loco moco in Hawaii (hawaiinewsnow.com)

It must be the gravy.

Comment

Working...
                        X