X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it French, German or Freedom Toast?

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
    I've forgotten about life. Except for going to the bakery, and picking up croissants, that just doesn't happen, over here.
    Speaking of France, many people assume French Toast - A popular American breakfast dish made by pan frying sliced bread dipped in an egg mixture - was originally from there, but several arguments claim otherwise.

I heard about "Freedom Fries", but never "Freedom Toast".

I usually make it by mixing sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in the eggs first, then dip and soak slices of Safeway's "French" bread. Fry it in butter and serve it with more butter, chopped Macadamia nuts, sliced banana and coconut syrup. Mo' buttah, mo' bettah!
    Last edited by Pomai; May 19, 2006, 07:57 AM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: What's for Breakfast - Chapter 1

Does nobody eat breakfast at home?
      A lot of folks who have to commute to work leave well before sunrise to try to beat the traffic on the roads. And at that time, dinner is still settling!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Breakfast fo me today was a "grab and go" - spam musubi & orange juice .

Comment

Try French/freedom/whatever toast with a little rum, or cointreau, splashed into the egg, milk, sugar, cinnamon mix...Mmmm!

Or better yet, make pudding. Put bread, day-old bread, or even dry old bread (or even cornbread) into a greased baking dish. I stand the bread on edge, to really pack it in. Shake over sugar, or cinnamon sugar, toss in some raisins or chopped apples, or whatever...can even just dollop some jam on top. Top with butter flakes. Make up a mixture of two or three eggs for each cup of milk, mix it well, and pour it over the bread...keep adding more, till it's all soaked up. Leave it to sit in a cool place, for several hours, or overnight, than top it up with more egg and milk mix, chop up some more butter for the top, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at about 325-350°f (150-180°c) til it's puffy and golden...try shake it, if it wobbles too much, leave it in for a bit longer. Good hot, warm, or cold.

Instead of sugar, add cubed or sliced cheese and ham, then it's called a Strada. It might be good with Portuguese sausage, too, or char siu...hey, maybe even with fishcake and green onions.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            A lot of folks who have to commute to work leave well before sunrise to try to beat the traffic on the roads. And at that time, dinner is still settling!
            Ohhh! Sounds like a 'pit pony' existance. What do you do wid da kids?

Comment

Try French/freedom/whatever toast with a little rum, or cointreau, splashed into the egg, milk, sugar, cinnamon mix...Mmmm!
              Susie, I think I'll try that. Sounds "cest ci bon"! Perhaps drizzle more rum on AFTER it's cooked and let it absorb in for extra "kick".
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                Susie, I think I'll try that. Sounds "cest ci bon"! Perhaps drizzle more rum on AFTER it's cooked and let it absorb in for extra "kick".
                Remember tha Bacardi cake? The one where you poked the hot cake, and poured a mixture of boiled sugar, rum, and butter over it? That mixture might be good on top, too. I used to make that cake with Amaretto, instead of rum, and make little almond-pate roses, to decorate it.

What was that sauce? Maybe one cup sugar, one half cup butter, boil, then add one quarter cup booze?

Comment

Ohhh! Sounds like a 'pit pony' existance.
                  Yes, it surely does, I guess.

(Pssst: what does "a pit pony existance" mean?)

What do you do wid da kids?
                  Don't have any. And I'm one of the lucky people who can actually walk from my home to work. What I meant was that those other people who have to fight traffic usually leave before sunrise and that it's too early for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                    Yes, it surely does, I guess.

(Pssst: what does "a pit pony existance" mean?)

Don't have any. And I'm one of the lucky people who can actually walk from my home to work. What I meant was that those other people who have to fight traffic usually leave before sunrise and that it's too early for breakfast.
                    A pit pony is the ponies that were kept underground, right down in the mines, to pull the carts loaded with whatever the miners were digging up. The ponies lived their whole lives down there, and usually finished up blind. To be called a 'pit pony' means you go to work in the dark, before sunrise, and go home after dark, when the sun has already set....living always in the dark, just like those ponies.

Comment

A pit pony is the ponies that were kept underground, right down in the mines, to pull the carts loaded with whatever the miners were digging up.
                      Okay. Thanks for the explanation. We don't have a lot of mines or miners here.

To be called a 'pit pony' means you go to work in the dark, before sunrise, and go home after dark, when the sun has already set....living always in the dark, just like those ponies.
                      Kind of like employees who are called 'mushrooms' because the bosses keep them in the dark and feed them lots of sh**... er, manure.

Comment

I never eat breakfast anymore.

Why? Cause I busy serving it!

Rice, @ 2 eggs the way you like it, choice of meat (corned beef hash, bacon, pork links, port. sausage, or spam) rice, toast & bottomless coffee for $3.00.

Wea? I not going tell.

I no like work hard.

Auntie pUpUle
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Bottle of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Someone brought in sweet bread from Ani's Bake Shop in Aiea. It's gooooood!

Comment

Cold cut sandwiches, orange, strawberries and water.

Comment

This a.m. my daughter made me fried sweet bread. Ono!
                                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
                                X