Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where are you from?

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Erin go bragh! I'm of Irish extract. My gaelic name is Padraig.
    Caisc shona ! (Happy Easter) I won't hi-jack the post, Padraig/Patrick or affectionately here Paddy or Pat.

My very best wishes to you and yours.

Barry

Comment

I say Dallas. I grew in a suburb about 15 miles away, but no one (except others from Dallas) knows where that is, so it's easier to answer that way. And anyway, I've lived in the DFW metroplex all but 2 years of my almost 30.

One thing I find hilarious is when I go somewhere (like when we lived in Hawaii or when I lived in Arkansas) and I'd say I was from Dallas, someone would say, "Oh, you're from Dallas? Do you know so-and-so?" Like...yes, I know that ONE person in a metroplex of 6.3 million. If I came from a small town, that'd be different, but Dallas is a pretty big city!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Hmmm. Military brat. No real home town, even after adulthood, so that's a difficult question for me.

I always say, "Well, that's a long story!"

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          My "location" in the upper right hand corner of this screen says it all for me.
          The question is where are you from.......not where sarcasm is located matapule.

*waves*

aloha HT Ohana.

have a pleasant weekend and a safe easter

Lomi
          stay forever young

Comment

I always hate that question. Not only because it's a bear to answer, but also because I don't like being lumped into someone's preconception of people who are from one place or another. If I have to answer it I give the full list of places where I've lived, and hope they're too confused to ask more by the end.

Comment

I’ve lived in a lot of places too in my younger days. When I joined the Navy at 17, they wanted a list of places we lived. We told them it was a problem to list them all, so they said I only need to list places we lived for 6 months or more. The short list is 19 different places.

I used to say I was from Boulder Colorado because I lived there for 3 years before we started to move around.
              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
              Ayn Rand

Comment

I always say "I'm orginally from Hawaii but"...and then I go on because I've been gone from there uumm, 40 years and have lived in 6 different states since then and have probably been back to HI about 5 times since I've left. I keep ties there since my big ohana is there and I try to keep abreast by the HI news stations, newspapers, blogs, etc.

Hey, Surlygirly...I've also lived in the Dallas area. Three times actually, but the last time 3 years ago, I couldn't deal anymore. Gotta go. Lived in Garland (closer to the Mall at Mesquite), out towards Lake Ray Hubbard and the last time in Dallas metro. DH is a Texan and the good ol' boy wants to be there right now so I, had to say "I'm going to hele on." *L* Will be out there for a visit soon, though, since he always comes out here where I am.

Comment

when asked, I have to admit that I was born in Iowa (same town as Leo Lakio). However, I have lived in Hawaii more than half my life, with some years in California. So, when I have to "identify" where I am from, I will ususally say that I live in Hawaii - it where I consider I'm "home". I don't think it really matters where we are born or grow up - it has to do with the soul and the gut and where THAT feels at home. Mine is here is Hawaii.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

SP!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back dude!! I was wondering where you went!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I agree that it doesn't matter where you are originally from...it's where your heart and soul feels that you are at "home." Like "Home is where your heart is." I was born and raised in HI. At times, I think I would like to be back but I know it'll never happen. So I have a little envy of those of you that are there but I have my memories of the ai'na back then when it was uncluttered the way it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        I have to admit that I was born in Iowa (same town as Leo Lakio).
                        Though I wasn't actually born there; born in St. Louis, but moved when I was less than a year old to that Iowa burb, for which I still have a sentimental fondness. Planning to visit there again this August, in time for the Iowa State Fair.

Very pleased to see the recent news about Iowa legally acknowledging same-sex marriages. Helps to shake out the stereotypes and misconceptions people might have about Iowans, the very thing to which beaker just referred.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Very pleased to see the recent news about Iowa legally acknowledging same-sex marriages.
                          Why would the gay lobby pick a state like Iowa for their push for same sex marriage? They must have been thinking of their honeymoon night of Iooowwwaaa...

Comment

Originally posted by btwnc2c View Post
                            DH is a Texan and the good ol' boy wants to be there right now
                            I'll trade with him...I'm so over this place!!

anapuni808:
                            I don't think it really matters where we are born or grow up - it has to do with the soul and the gut and where THAT feels at home. Mine is here is Hawaii.
                            I only lived in Hawaii 4 months, and it felt more like home to me than Texas...and I've lived here for almost 28 years. But I wouldn't feel right saying I was from Hawaii since I spent such a short period of time there.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I try to answer the "where you from" question in regards to the context of the conversation.

I was born in Germany, but have no real memories of it. Moved to Cali as a small kid. Lived in three other states, and back here. Lived in quite a few So Cal towns, so I usually just tend to say Orange County.

Comment

I also find this difficult to answer. I'm an Army brat, who married a man in the Army. I have spent most of my years in Northern Virgina/ DC area, so that is usually where I tell people I am from.

Comment

Working...
                                X