This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 9

Had a lunch meeting with some clients. By the time my guest speaker and I got to the grub, there was nothing but scraps...

I had catering come with some steak, chicken, shrimp, and mahi mahi kabobs, spanish rice, beans, guacamole, and chips. But it was wiped out. I noticed some folks were taking to-go plates after they had eaten already. I felt bad for my guest host as he had to return to his office. Meanwhile, I munched on some scraps of chips and salsa with a little bit of spanish rice. Needless to say, I was starving for dinner tonight...the wife made some comfort food with meatloaf, mac n cheese, corn, and cream spinach.

Comment

Went to Canton House Restaurant in Chinatown, next door to Maunakea Marketplace. Was my first visit but apparently it's quite popular. More "traditional" (a.k.a. "village-style") menu items, plus great dim sum. We ordered both dim sum and dishes off the menu... and the menu items ended up coming home with us, uneaten, since there was so much food!

I couldn't tell you everything we had... siu mai, char siu bao, beef meatballs (deliciously rubbery!), shrimp har gow, both beef and shrimp look fun (we went with steamed, but pan fried was a popular choice)... mushroom chicken on rice and beef chow fun were the dishes that ended up "to go." All good stuff.

Well, almost all. They apparently experiement, and one of the new, special dishes they were pushing was some kind of steamed taro. It was basically wrapped white poi. It didn't really work for us. But at least they're being creative!

Random trivia: I posted a photo of the restaurant on Flickr, and a friend of a friend spotted his mother in the shot!

Comment

Hot dog and a cup of iced water from Costco.

Comment

Kalua pig, chicken long rice, lomi salmon, pipikaula, poi, and raw onions and Hawaiian salt from People's Cafe. Onolicious.

Comment

Polish sausage and a cup of water.

Comment

BBQ Chicken and a bottle of water from L&L Drive Inn.

Comment

Hot dogs, banana and cup of Diet Coke.

Comment

Polish sausage, chicken bake and cup of water at Costco while encountering pzarquon and Kilinahe.

Comment

A couple of Happy Meals for the boys and an Asian salad at the McDonald's in Laie.

This was actually lunch on Sunday, but I wanted to share the pictures. It's an interesting building, formerly the Laie Lodge & Restaurant. I'm sure lovers of old Hawaii are miffed that the place is now a McDonald's (and that a Chevron station is sitting right on its lap fronting Kamehameha Highway). But at least the building and some of its touches are still intact.

Comment

Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 10

Finished munching on leftover bagels, lime flavored chips and other pastries from an office gathering this morning with a can of Mountain Dew from the vending machine.

Comment

Pastrami sandwich, chips and a cup of Diet Coke from Subways.

Comment

Manapua, spring rolls and a cup of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Various hot dog pastries and a cup of Diet Coke from Panya.

Comment

Jumbo Jack and Ultimate Cheeseburger from Jack-in-the-Box, can of Mountain Dew from the vending machine and followed by a piece of birthday cake from one of the people in the building.

Comment

Sadly, a McChicken and a Double Cheeseburger with a medium Sprite. Paid in quarters. Paycheck's late again. Dammit.
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X