Bonanza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonanza

Westerns as genre for me has been kind of neutral so I tended not to watch a series like Bonanza when they originally aired on NBC back in the 1960's.

So today I am watching TVLand and at least 2 episodes of Bonanza have been aired. One was about a man hired to catch cattle rustlers but is killing them instead, while the second episode had Dawn Wells as a Native American married to a newly hired ranch hand to the Cartwrights (however I didn't watch all of this episode as I went out to get lunch).

A third one just finished called The Price of Salt, while there are talking about cattle dying to lack of salt, at least 4 people got shot over the price of salt.
    Last edited by helen; December 27, 2011, 01:06 PM.

Re: Bonanza

The "Bonanza" saga is divided into two parts.
    The early episodes had Pernell Roberts as one of the three brothers.
    The later episodes proceed without his presence.
    Some kind of dispute developed that led to Pernell leaving the series.
    The early shows with Pernell are very hard to find.
    Any further data is cloudy, at best.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
      The "Bonanza" saga is divided into two parts.
      The early episodes had Pernell Roberts as one of the three brothers.
      The later episodes proceed without his presence.
      Some kind of dispute developed that led to Pernell leaving the series.
      Pernell made no secret about why he left Bonanza. He felt that his Adam Cartwright role was phony. The one member of the Cartwright clan who attended college, Pernell resented the writer's insistence that he refer to the family's patriarch as "pa" rather than "father." Also, Pernell began to tire of the producer's directive that he wear a toupee to cover a growing bald spot.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I was fiddling around the other day and found that
        episode 27 of season 1 is at www.archive.org in various forms of
        file formats.

Pernell is in this one.

Comment

I happened across a "Bonanza" episode a few years ago, and watched in fascination because it was obviously the pilot episode. Each of the three Cartwright boys had a different mother. And every dispute, large or small, was settled by gunfire.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Gunfire wasn't the only sure bet. There was also the rotation of which son would get a "girlfriend/fiancee/wife", and have lost her by the end of the show. Usually the woman headed off to San Francisco, or she might be killed off by the end of the episode. I think they even had Ben (Pa) have a girlfriend a time or two, but the biggest player in the family was Little Joe.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
            X