GITMO Closing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GITMO Closing?

You gotta love an idea that has no plan behind it. We got a regular prison over there, with all the normal stuff, except, of course, 'rights', and over 200 dudes who jay-walked in front of the US Military one day.

Let's put them all in apartments in Bed-Sty, NY, Commons, Chi-town, or Richmond, CA. We could set them up with clothing, food, some furniture, and a little walkinaround cash. Don't forget the weekly meetings with a high paid psychologist so they can 'vent'.

Or we could set up a giant paintball game somewhere.

I'm not sure.

What you think?
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: GITMO Closing?

If they did something, put them on trial. If they didn't, let them go.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We've already released more than 500, of what Bush called "the worst of the worst", back into the world, from a total count of detainees that exceeds one thousand over the last few years.
      We've also got to absorb the bodies from the many 'secret cells' (beyond Gitmo...) that are now being ordered closed.
      Of all these super bad men, only 12 have been brought up on charges. All charges are of war crimes, nothing of terrorism.

This whole disastrous saga has been another crowning achievement of futility that went awry..., topped only by the numerous other unneccessary and wounding calamities that are now known as The Bush Years.
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 22, 2009, 08:33 AM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

So what do we do Ron?
        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Obama has already suggested the theme of an International Prison. What that all entails and could lead to pro and con will be determined. But even that is too big hat.

We should never have allowed Bush to establish seperate courts and laws outside of exisiting laws or have overreaching authoritys. The only need for any black holes in our contry's legal and moral fabric was by those wishing to abide by their own laws that they made up on the fly, during so-called extrordinary moments.

We can maintain the proper proceedures for the remaining detainees in our civil courtrooms and at the same time show the world that openness and fairness has a place at the table again.

Comment

So, ummmm, welll, I read your post twice. Then I reread it again. Just to make sure I understood.

Please clarify. What do we do? Where do they go? I can be slow at times. Please be patient with me.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The total number of prisoners can be easily held at any quite suitable facilities, ...it's not a problem. The 12 worst of the worst of the worst, and already charged can be tried properly in most of today's big city courtrooms. Again, not a problem.

This whole overblown scenerio of 'new legal ground / grey area circumstances / danger-scary' is an old charade by the Bushies to avoid laws and the consequences of avoiding laws, that is now being shown the door in lieu of common courtesy/sense.

Comment

the only people celebrating the closure of gitmo are the terrorists that may end up there someday if it were to stay open.......oh yeah and the liberals.
                the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                  the only people celebrating the closure of gitmo are the terrorists that may end up there someday if it were to stay open.......oh yeah and the liberals.
                  You are going to have to amend this statement, because I am neither a terrorist nor—as my posts on HT and my voting record will confirm—a liberal. Speaking in absolutes is a good way to be wrong.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Turn the situation around and see how it looks:

You get taken prisoner in a foreign country because you're an American carrying a camera and therefore suspected of spying.

You're not charged with anything. You get tortured to force a confession. Your painful screams of innocence is declared a lie. You're put into solitary confinement. You're not allowed to communicate with anyone. No due process. No access to legal representation. The food you're given is repulsive -- insect larvae, goat anuses and a tough bread-like substance made from grass seeds. No idea of when the imprisonment might end.

So is Guantanamo Bay acceptable? Only if you're willing to face similar treatment elsewhere can you honestly say "yes". The United States of America is supposed to set the standard for justice. Is this the gold standard we want to set for the rest of the world? In so, you'd better start thinking real hard about being a tourist anywhere outside of our borders.

By the way, Australian aboriginies have a staple food made from grass seeds. And there are cultures that think insect larvae and goat anuses are delicacies (each animal has only ONE!). So while we might THINK we're feeding some of these detainees well, they might not agree at all.

Obama is thinking beyond the needs of the moment. He's basing his decisions upon fundamental principles of justice. The Constitution was authored with that type of thinking.

Some of our worst moments came about when some of those basic principles were set aside for the sake of expediency. Executive Order 9099 was a recent one.

Comment

Where to send the current group of suspects: Alcatraz.

Remodeling the old prison can be considered part of the economic stimulus plan. Hire a lot of steel workers and masons to bring it back to its former glory with an accurate historical restoration project.

After the prisoners are processed and the prison is no longer needed, bring back the tourists so they can see what it all used to look like in its heyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                        Obama is thinking beyond the needs of the moment. He's basing his decisions upon fundamental principles of justice. The Constitution was authored with that type of thinking.
                        Oh, yeah. After the Colonists realize they cannot beat the British Army with standard rules of battle engagement, and adopted guerilla warfare.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                          Where to send the current group of suspects: Alcatraz.

Remodeling the old prison can be considered part of the economic stimulus plan. Hire a lot of steel workers and masons to bring it back to its former glory with an accurate historical restoration project.

After the prisoners are processed and the prison is no longer needed, bring back the tourists so they can see what it all used to look like in its heyday.
                          That would be quite a project. I think the walls are so softened by exposure to salt air, you could dig a hole through them with a spoon.
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

In Leno's monologue last night he mentioned that should the new administration wish to close Gitmo sooner they should turn it into a bank!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              In Leno's monologue last night he mentioned that should the new administration wish to close Gitmo sooner they should turn it into a bank!
                              Blood Bank? Body Bank? Isn't that what Abu Ghraib is for?

Yes, I have a very dark sense of humor.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                              X