Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad day on the sandbar

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    ...except that's not a blog. it's a Twitter account, and you'd have to summarize it in 140 characters or fewer.
    Hmmm . . . maybe could post a link, or the URL, to Likanui's post. Not trying to press the issue, but it really does sound like he needs to be told. Putting anyone in danger is not cool, but endangering kids is unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      Thanks Lika Nui for that story. I had caught Philipson's tweets, video and pix on this. Now I know another part of this developing story.
      The guy is a danger to everyone else on the water, and that's why I posted that.
      As someone who has done offshore search-and-rescue for a few decades, I can tell you that it's that kind of jerk that really lights my fire (as you all may have noticed ). I don't mind risking my boat and my life to save people who are legitimately in danger, but when I have to risk my boat and my life to save idiots, well...

That all said, this is the kind of stuff that irks the environmentalists and cultural preservationists into action and may have a bad fallout for all the boaters and people who use the sandbar.
      Only if there was fuel and oil leaking out of the boat. That's likely, as both engines and both fuel tanks are completely underwater. However, I dearly hope that the rescue boats put a floating containment boom around Aquadelica to contain the fluids, as is -- or should be -- standard procedure.

A few years ago State Senator Clayton Hee tried to pass a bill to ban the recreational use of the sandbar. I would not be surprised if another bill like that surfaces again this legislative session. You folks better start monitoring the legislative session that starts on January 21.
      Not likely to happen just because of today's incident. It's not all that unusual for boats to sink. There were two of them off of the Ala Wai within just a couple days of each other right before Christmas, as I recall.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Karma rocks!
        Sooooooooooo true!
        *gives high five to TutuSue*

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          And by the way, a few of you have mistakenly referred to him as a "captain." You can call him the "skipper" of his boat, but calling someone a "captain" implies that the person is indeed licensed. Calling this buffoon a captain is an insult to real captains.
          Gotcha. I dunno. Calling him "skipper" is still too nice. Reminds me of Gilligan's Island.

Perhaps "schmuck"?

As Scrivner noted, no can do. And I hope this JPhilpson person was just an innocent passenger.
          JPhilipson is a real nice guy. Met him this past Friday, in fact. Not sure how he and his friends ended up on this boat.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Only if there was fuel and oil leaking out of the boat.
            Unfortunately, @JPhilipson said he had gotten gasoline in his eyes. Dunno about oil.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "

Comment

I've had to pull that same boat off of reefs not once but twice, and I know other people who have also towed him off.
              I wonder. How much abuse can one boat take? Maybe it took one to many.

Thanks, I figured you'd have some info. I'd be curious as to the details of what happened. I know just enough about boats to be able to stick my foot in my mouth.

Comment

And thanks Likanui for the truthful expression of how some 'BOATERS'(?) act.
                There are truly too many that are unsafe to themselves and others.

Menehune Man quote inserted here:
                If you like it... learn it!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

With airplanes, a comment often tossed up by veteran pilots is that a wealthy person can buy more airplane than he/she can handle.

A middle-class pilot is relegated to an airplane that can be flown only in visual conditions. But a really wealthy novice pilot can afford de-icing equipment, glass cockpit components, turbocharged twin engines, constant-speed props, pressurization, retracts and all the bells and whistles. Then they recklessly fly themselves into marginal conditions, lose track of where the air and dirt are, and stick the sharp end into the Earth.

That happened with John F. Kennedy Jr. who got disoriented during a night flight and splashed a high-performance aircraft in the sea. The Navy spends a huge amount of effort to recover him, and what happens afterward? They bury him at sea!!!

Sadly, they often take their friends with them.

Back on topic: In this case, it's a guy who somehow allowed his boat to sink in calm inland waters in a boat that might have been overloaded. A news report on KGMB said there were 40 people aboard that boat. Is that right?? Were there enough PFD's aboard? And where were they? Neatly stowed below decks where they wouldn't mess up the clean lines of this party boat? I didn't see any floating around when these guys recovered the dang TV!

Light winds. Zero-stress conditions. And the boat sinks? Isn't there a bilge flooding alarm? Multiple bilge pumps? Manual bilge pump?

Hardly a victim. He somehow put himself there. If Lika Nui's reports are any indication, boating safety is the last item on this guy's checklist.

Hopefully this guy's marine insurance has a "stupid" clause that prevents him from recovering costs in the event he did something that's just plain dumb: No payment if it's an act of God, War, or Stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    A news report on KGMB said there were 40 people aboard that boat. Is that right??
                    There was quite a crowd standing on the sandbar.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                      Back on topic: In this case, it's a guy who somehow allowed his boat to sink in calm inland waters in a boat that might have been overloaded. A news report on KGMB said there were 40 people aboard that boat. Is that right?? Were there enough PFD's aboard? And where were they? Neatly stowed below decks where they wouldn't mess up the clean lines of this party boat? I didn't see any floating around when these guys recovered the dang TV!
                      Not being a boater (unless floating in a rubber raft once as a kid counts), I appreciate the insights, Composite.
                      "

Comment

After his stressful day (actually stressful past few days, poor guy), @JPhilipson has written a blog entry about trying to save people's valuables from the floundering boat:

http://insidejoeshead.com/2009/01/11...ll-aquadelica/

According to Joe, the boat's owner is Lorenz Sell, CEO of Blue Lava Technologies in Hawaii. (I guess people can verify that by looking up some public records on the boat owner?)

I'm guessing that company is related to Blue Lava Wireless, whose claim to fame was owning the licensing rights to Tetris on wireless devices (cellphones and such). BLW got acquired by Jamdat for $137M. Some time later, Electronic Arts (the Microsoft of game publishers) acquired Jamdat for $680M.
                        Last edited by MyopicJoe; January 11, 2009, 01:04 AM.
                        "

Comment

I wonder if the vessel in question might have been more appropriately named, AQUAIDIOT. I hope he gets charged for the "rescue."
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

If a boater is rude to others, why do they still help him get unstuck and such? Is it part of boating etiquette?

Or did he pay to get towed off the sand bar?
                            "

Comment

I'm a Captain, and used to work full time in the boating industry. Sorry to see such a beautiful boat destroyed by a nitwit, who is a danger to others. Seen it a dozen times before here in Kona. I often wonder if Lika and I sailed together on some pirate ship in a past life.

All that being said, I would like to add some postive comments to this thread, addressed to folks who may not do much boating.

First of all, there is no shame in asking the owner, upon boarding, where the PFD's are located.
                              If you are on a sailboat, and the owner is motoring out of the channel without the mainsail up, on motor only, there is a 100% chance that you are sailing with a novice skipper.
                              Channel 16 is a useful channel on the VHF.
                              Never be ashamed to ask if the bilge plug is screwed in and tightened.
                              In the event of a capsize, stay with the wreckage. Eddie would go, but he should have stayed.
                              I bring my shorty fins in my backpack when boating with somebody I don't know.
                              It's always prudent to shorten sail the moment you think you should. The wisest captains do that chore while safely inside the harbor. Most boats actually go faster, in good wind, with less sail.
                              If you think too many people are boarding the boat, say something, and choose not to go.

The ocean is a harsh task master. Under adverse circumstances, happy endings are few. Aquadelica can be salvaged, and likely fixed. Her owner, probably not.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                                There is an unobtrusive link to this HT thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X