X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Each of the corridors identified by the administration last year are between 100 and 600 miles long.

Among other things, notice that none of those federal $8 billion dollars are planned for Hawaii.
    Mainly because the planned rail line for Oahu is only something like around 22 miles or so, even pushing it with expanding to UH and all that, it still would fall way under the 100 mile level. Also too the rail plan for Oahu is a commuter line with stops at each mile. It's not what one would call high speed rail and as such I am not worried that Oahu's rail plan wasn't mention in the federal plan.

Comment

One step closer as FTA makes an announcement that they intend to fund $1.55 billion to Honolulu for rail.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        One step closer as FTA makes an announcement that they intend to fund $1.55 billion to Honolulu for rail.
        After a few short years, $1.5 billion will be more like $1.5 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
          After a few short years, $1.5 billion will be more like $1.5 million.
          Just like $8 a gal gas.

Comment

Just like $8 a gal gas.
            At $8 a gallon better start guarding your car. I remember back in the early 70's when people would steal gas by siphoning it out of your tank in the middle of the night. Then someone came up with a brilliant idea, locking gas caps. Then the crooks just drilled out the tank and drained it out that way.

Hey maybe now Mufi can name his rail project after that fabled transit system our beloved late mayor Fasi had envisioned: Fasi Area Rapid Transit or F.A.R.T.

RIP Hizzoner!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              At $8 a gallon better start guarding your car. I remember back in the early 70's when people would steal gas by siphoning it out of your tank in the middle of the night. Then someone came up with a brilliant idea, locking gas caps. Then the crooks just drilled out the tank and drained it out that way.

Hey maybe now Mufi can name his rail project after that fabled transit system our beloved late mayor Fasi had envisioned: Fasi Area Rapid Transit or F.A.R.T.

RIP Hizzoner!
              How about "Old F.A.R.T." ?

Comment

There are "public investments" and "private investments". Its not complicated. A gas tax pays for things like roads you need to drive your car on. Collecting a tax to finance a water project for a community can increase land values quite a bit. Then the community benefits, individuals benefit, and the community is free to tax land at increased values and profits and rents in order to finance other improvements. The important thing is to buy (invest in) things that create more wealth, rather than less. A war you don't need to fight can be very expensive, hundreds of billions of dollars. Better to spend it on something that will make a lot of money, like education, so millions of your people can not only live better lives and make more money, but broaden the tax base. There is such a thing as "false economy" meaning to save money but cost yourself much more. Not paying to fix a leaking roof, saving money by not buying oil for your car, and letting education rot in order to save money now but cost tons more later, are good examples. It takes money to make money. If we as individuals hear about a good money making opportunity we are eager to jump in. Its a good idea for the government to make wise public investment decisions, too.

Comment

But as to O'ahu rail...I am just not convinced that its necessary or a wise expenditure. It would be much cheaper and maybe just as effective to have traffic engineers analyze traffic flows and smooth them out. Synchronized traffic lights help a lot. See where bottlenecks occur at freeway exits and entrances and street intersections. It might be helpful to encourage companies to stagger work hours so everybody doesn't need the same road at the same time. Disabled and elderly people do need public transportation and buses and vans are a lot more flexible than a rail system would ever be. Rail systems work fine in high density cities but Honolulu is not such a city.

Comment

You just know it's going to be a frustrating disaster in all aspects.
                    And they still havn't mentioned anything about fares...

Just put the effort into a truly world class bus system, work out the road logistics, and forget this potential horror.

Most people simply aren't going to give up their 1 or 2 hours of private time while commuting.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

hi,i wish to share that if we had a bus system,it would only be not good for traffic since we would have traffic gridlock and no one would enjoy it.rail tranisit would work and since our city is fairly large,i agree with our mayor that we do need rail tranist and only where i live,we would need the bus system.

well thank's for your time=O)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        And they still haven't mentioned anything about fares...
                        Actually they did, they said it will be the same fare as the bus. Granted, bus fares change over time but their plan is to match it.

Most people simply aren't going to give up their 1 or 2 hours of private time while commuting.
                        That remains to be seen, a lot of people already do that when commuting by car during rush hour.

Comment

1) Actually they did, they said it will be the same fare as the bus. Granted, bus fares change over time but their plan is to match it.
                          2) That remains to be seen, a lot of people already do that when commuting by car during rush hour.
                          1) Yes, they said that once, long ago, and I'm not buying it unless bus fare is $5.
                          2) That's exactly what I'm saying. Most people aren't going to give that up.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

1) Yes, they said that once, long ago, and I'm not buying it unless bus fare is $5.
                            2) That's exactly what I'm saying. Most people aren't going to give that up.
                            1) Sure, I understand you may be skeptical, but they did mention what the fares would be. I would rather they get rid of transfers, lower the bus fare slightly, and bump up the fare of the rail once the system is place.

2) I don't get that you're saying that. You said most people aren't going to give up 1-2 hours of their personal time for commuting and my point is, they already do. If traffic on roads get worse in the future, then the rail/bus schedule actually is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                              How about "Old F.A.R.T." ?
                              How about M.U.F.T.I.T. or Han-da-Trans?
                              Last edited by salmoned; February 8, 2010, 02:02 PM.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                                But as to O'ahu rail...I am just not convinced that its necessary or a wise expenditure. It would be much cheaper and maybe just as effective to have traffic engineers analyze traffic flows and smooth them out. Synchronized traffic lights help a lot. See where bottlenecks occur at freeway exits and entrances and street intersections.
                                These kinds of clueless analysis are typical of HT’rs who are both A. too lazy to read through the thread before posting and B. aren’t involved enough personally (i.e. live and work in Honolulu) to understand what’s going on.

Realize, Kalalau, that traffic engineers and planners have already analyzed traffic flow and bottlenecks at every problem area on the island. The problem is really quite simple: there are too many vehicles on the road during rush hour. Period. There are too many idiots on the road, resulting in too many accidents causing delays on nearly a daily basis. Period.

The solution is to eliminate cars that are only on the road because they have no other choice. We’ve already maxed out HOV lanes and every other alternative to rail. Buses only add to the traffic gridlock, and are already overcrowded anyway. Double-decker “toll-road” freeways would be just as expensive as rail to build because of massive concrete reinforcement needed and the logistical nightmare of double-decker on-ramps. We’ve even tried “TheBoat.”

So What haven’t we tried yet? I don’t like being overtaxed either, but I’m a firm believer in “preventative maintenance.” More young people get their driver’s license daily. The economy goes in cycles, and once things improve, more people will move back to the islands, more cars will be on the road, and the problem will be even worse then it is now. Rail critics need to stop being whiny crybabies and come up with an alternative solution. Period.

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                                It might be helpful to encourage companies to stagger work hours so everybody doesn’t need the same road at the same time.
                                Good suggestion. And how does one “encourage” companies to do this? Wouldn’t companies that could afford to do this already be doing it?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X