View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:55 AM
Kumu

Default Re: Nuclear energy - safe?

Wind power and solar energy by themselves are too variable to be a reliable source of energy. A storage system is needed to smooth out the variations and that is a problem in itself. Batteries are not up to the job yet and the ones that have promise are an environmental horror.

I think nuclear power will eventually become the most common source for power. If you look at the history of steam power you will see many boiler explosions that killed a lot of people. It took a while to learn how to tame that one. We are still in the learning phase of nuclear power, and this tragedy in Japan is one big lesson.

I am surprised that all the nuclear plants in Japan are within feet of the ocean. This in a country that is hit by tsunamis more than any other region. In the words of Jay Leno “What did you think would happen?”

I also notice nuclear plants in earthquake zones being touted as designed to withstand a 7.5 earthquake. So what happens when an 8.0 earthquake happens?

Looks like we need to design these things better.

I would like to know more about what caused the backup cooling system to fail at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.