American Savings Bank Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Savings Bank Sucks

My girlfriend received a notice from the Department of Taxation stating they were unable to direct deposit her refund and she would be receiving a paper check. They got a error message (invalid account number) when trying to deposit it with American Savings.

This is absolutely frustrating. I put the same account number/routing number for her workplace paycheck- no problems. However, ASB rejected her IRS and state refunds with the same information.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: American Savings Bank Sucks

Hmmm.
    I'm a long-time ASB user (over 20 years) and have always found that whenever there was a problem with automatic deposits or withdrawals they have been willing to work with me to resolve those issues.

I don't know why this happened (it happens onocasion with any bank), but I believe if you talk to some folks at the bank who's job it is to prevent such problems, they will help you through it.

If not, ask for a higher-level manager! I ve found ASB to be accomodating to a fault! I am certain they can resolve your dispute to your satisfaction.

K$
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

We'll probably go down to the bank this weekend and complain. However, there isn't much they can do now. The state has already notified her she'll be receiving a paper check. Nonetheless, this whole debacle is very frustrating.

I've never had any difficulty with any of my banks accepting direct deposits.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

American Savings Bank completely changed their computer services last weekend and accounts have new protocols. You might need to update your information in your accounts.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

We talked to ASB this morning. They said she needed to use a 10 digit account number on her return, not the five digit one. This is why the refund was rejected. However, it doesn't explain why the five digit account number worked last year ?
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Did you just skip RIGHT OVER buzz1941's post before posting this last response of yours?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: American Savings Bank is great

I've banked with ASB for over 20 years and have never had a problem with them.

They're friendly and helpful. They say yes to requests my former bank said no to.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Did you just skip RIGHT OVER buzz1941's post before posting this last response of yours?
                Yes I read that comment. However, it dealt with changes to ASB's online banking, not with direct deposits. She had difficulty receiving her federal refund in February. It was also rejected by ASB. We never got a clear answer from the IRS as to why. But I presume it was due an invalid account number also.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I've had no problems with direct deposit in 15 years with ASB, where it's the 5 or 10 digit codes.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

are you folks talking about routing number codes or account number codes?
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      are you folks talking about routing number codes or account number codes?
                      I was wondering the same thing however when I looked at my ASB check book the routing number is a nine-digit code while the checking account number is a combination of two 5-digit codes amounting to a single 10-digit account number.

In the past I've always used my 10-digit account code and never used a five digit code simply because it wouldn't be complete.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                        I've had no problems with direct deposit in 15 years with ASB, where it's the 5 or 10 digit codes.
                        She didn't have any problems receiving her refunds using the five digit account number in 2009. However, the IRS and the State had difficulty electronically transferring her refund for her 2010 refund using the same five digit number.

When we spoke to the "personal banker" at the Kona ASB branch he didn't believe us when we told him the five digit account number worked in 2009. He said only the ten digit account number would work.

Nonetheless, I'm seriously leaning towards selecting a paper check for her return next year. Direct deposit is definitely not user friendly proposition in her case.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

did you also provide the correct routing number for the deposit? direct deposits don't work without that.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I think what Konaguy is saying is that whatever worked in 2009 all of a sudden does not work in 2010...with no explanation why.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              did you also provide the correct routing number for the deposit? direct deposits don't work without that.
                              Yes, the routing number was correct. The problem was with the account number. The letter she received from the state even stated "R04 Invalid Account Number" as the error message they received when the electronic transfer failed.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X