The various works of The Three Stooges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Three Stooges

The 'forced' appearances were in full bloom even in the Curly days once they became a hit, got over the two dollar budget, and had use of the major studio lot. It had already become fomula-ized. But still funny!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Did Larry talk more when Curly wasn't there anymore?

Comment

No, it wasn't Larry's dialogue that was the problem.

I'm not sure if it was because the Stooges were getting on in age or because Joe and Curly Joe were being broken in, but by the mid-1950s, the timing of the physical comedy just didn't seem as sharp. Just as an example, Moe's eyepokes didn't look as quick and precise as it did during the days when Curly and Shemp were a part of the act. (Of course, those were supposed to be fake eyepokes. But with the "new" actors coming on board, perhaps Moe was exercising more caution.) And of course, the slapstick action (i.e. the boys "accidentally" swinging objects around and banging each other's heads) was sometimes out of sync, which made their pratfalls look forced.

The last few shorts that the Stooges did with Joe Besser were lackluster, but still good enough for a few laughs. The feature-length films with Curly Joe, OTOH, are garbage. There's a reason why the classic Columbia shorts have been played over-and-over again on TV, while the later movies are rarely seen.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          I'm not sure if it was because the Stooges were getting on in age or because Joe and Curly Joe were being broken in, but by the mid-1950s, the timing of the physical comedy just didn't seem as sharp. Just as an example, Moe's eyepokes didn't look as quick and precise as it did during the days when Curly and Shemp were a part of the act. (Of course, those were supposed to be fake eyepokes.
          I guess this is going to happen in Jackie Chan movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Moe's eyepokes didn't look as quick and precise as it did during the days when Curly and Shemp were a part of the act. (Of course, those were supposed to be fake eyepokes. But with the "new" actors coming on board, perhaps Moe was exercising more caution.) And of course, the slapstick action (i.e. the boys "accidentally" swinging objects around and banging each other's heads) was sometimes out of sync, which made their pratfalls look forced. The last few shorts that the Stooges did with Joe Besser were lackluster.
            That's because Besser was as he seemed, a wimp that didn't at all enjoy the rough stuff.

Comment

Wonder if they'll sing too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Y6UKMp8Qw

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                That's because Besser was as he seemed, a wimp that didn't at all enjoy the rough stuff.
                Maybe so, but Larry and Curly didn't enjoy it when gags went wrong and they ended up being badly hurt. Moe admitted in interviews that there were times when he accidentally did actual eyepokes, which is anything but funny when it did happen on the set. Of course, this was back in the days before studios insured their actors, so the Stooges were sometimes exposed to real hazards. They might have accepted the dangers as being a part of their jobs, but as I said, it didn't make it pleasant for anyone involved when someone really got hurt.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Oh, what's a little charred flesh? It's art!

There was the time Curly was secured on the rotisseri like a pig on a spit, and the crew let the fire get way too big and even MOE LARRY - MOE LARRY couldn't help him...

Comment

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/10...ly-last-stooge

Will this be a bad or fab-u-lous casting of Sean Hayes as Larry? I never watched Will and Grace, so I don't know if his character had a catch phrase.

Comment

While waiting to get in to the movie I went to last night there was a poster for The Three Stooges movie. It didn't give much details other than a URL, the year it was going to open which is 2012, a silhouette of the stooges with the words Just Say Moe.

According to IMDb this movie opens April 4, 2012, so far no trailer has been released.

Comment

The trailer for this movie is on the Apple Trailers web site. You will need Apple's QuickTime application in order to view it.

Comment

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/03/2...stooges-movie/

Will Sasso played Curly in Three Stooges spoofs on Madtv.

Comment

The original Three Stooges was a chance meeting of three unique individuals.
                            The chemistry of that original triad was changed a few times.
                            That's how life is.

Trying to recreate that magic is a long shot.
                            But it's worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                              The original Three Stooges was a chance meeting of three unique individuals.
                              I thought Moe and Curly were braddahs.

Comment

Two of the three were always around. The replacements were placed in a
                                very difficult predicament.
                                Still and all the series conveyed an inherent sense of humor
                                that says Laughter is the Best Medicine.

Comment

Working...
                                X