This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The things a network would do for an Obama story

Eh, the spin machine is just getting an early start. No surprise at all, after what they did to Kerry (not that I like him, but it's all very similar).

Comment

Re: Obama Watch

I suspect the Republicans will sit back and let the Clinton camp do the dirty work against Obama. Why should they expend the effort when HRC and crew are the ones most threatened by him? As many will recall, when the Clinton team goes full bore against someone it is devastating.
      Last edited by glossyp; January 21, 2007, 09:09 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        I suspect the Republicans will sit back and let the Clinton camp do the dirty work against Obama. Why should they expend the effort when HRC and crew are the ones most threatened by him? As many will recall, when the Clinton team goes full bore against someone it is devastating.
        I doubt either the Clinton or Obama camp will find much more dirty laundry to air about each other; both have had their peccadillos pretty well documented already, Hillary while she was the President's wife and Obama in his own tell-all autobiographies.

On the Republican side, it's too bad that W turned out to be such a dufus. His bro Jebby had his sights on the Republican Presidential nomination in 2008, but because of all the bad press his older brother has garnered, he's now a man without a goal, and Jebby is way more effective as a politician than his bro ever will be.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I just don't like his ideas about gun control. We need to enforce the laws on the books now.

Gun Control removes the rights of LAW ABIDING citizens to have self-protection. It DOES NOT prevent the CRIMINALS from having guns.

Comment

Re: The things a network would do for an Obama story

Originally posted by Bard View Post
            Eh, the spin machine is just getting an early start. No surprise at all, after what they did to Kerry (not that I like him, but it's all very similar).
            Here's the latest one:
            The Washington Times' Insight magazine first claimed that Barack Obama was raised as a Muslim. Fox News picked up the charge on two of its programs, and the New York Post followed. "The allegations are completely false," says Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs. "To publish this sort of trash without any documentation is surprising, but for Fox to repeat something so false, not once, but many times is appallingly irresponsible."
            More here.

Comment

If you look at who owns Fox and The Times/Sunday Times (U.K.), it becomes apparent that Rupert Murdoch may be supporting HRC. Fox is the only mainstream media outlet which aired the Obama/Madrassa allegations while across the pond the online version of The Sunday Times ran a very positive analysis of Clinton's campaign under the title Hillary runs for the White House as 'new Thatcher'. Down with Obama, up with Clinton - could be a trend to watch from Mr. Murdoch's media empire.

Comment

And CNN apparently likes Obama (or wants to make Faux News look stupid---or maybe both), because they have done extensive research on the grade school in Indonesia (even sent a CNN reporter to talk to the school's administrator and a former classmate of Obama):

But reporting by CNN in Jakarta, Indonesia and Washington, D.C., shows the allegations that Obama attended a madrassa to be false. CNN dispatched Senior International Correspondent John Vause to Jakarta to investigate.
                ..."I came here to Barack Obama's elementary school in Jakarta looking for what some are calling an Islamic madrassa ... like the ones that teach hate and violence in Pakistan and Afghanistan," Vause said on the "Situation Room" Monday. "I've been to those madrassas in Pakistan ... this school is nothing like that."

Vause also interviewed one of Obama's Basuki classmates, Bandug Winadijanto, who claims that not a lot has changed at the school since the two men were pupils. Insight reported that Obama's political opponents believed the school promoted Wahhabism, a fundamentalist form of Islam, "and are seeking to prove it."

"It's not (an) Islamic school. It's general," Winadijanto said. "There is a lot of Christians, Buddhists, also Confucian. ... So that's a mixed school."
                The cable channel also devoted a segment on its morning shows to this story.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Quite some time ago I saw a poll that said that while Hillery had good name recognition and supporters, she also had some serious detractors. In fact the poll suggested that over 50% of the population would vote ABH (anyone but Hillery). If true, then Hillery is not electable. It would be interesting to see if the polls still show the same results. And if so, what the Democrats are going to do about it. Will the Democrats implode and hand the White House to the Republicans? Pull up a chair and enjoy the show.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Will the Democrats implode and hand the White House to the Republicans?
                    Probably. They seem to have gotten quite skilled at that.

Comment

Slate has launched The Obama Messiah Watch designed to
                      ...periodically highlight gratuitously adoring biographical details that appear in newspaper, television, and magazine profiles of this otherworldly presence in our midst
                      The only disturbing detail I gathered from the linked LA Times profile was the fact that Obama is (or was?) fond of 'Hawaiian' pizza.

Comment

Nice little story in today's SB about Punahou classmates' recollections of "Barry" Obama.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          Nice little story in today's SB about Punahou classmates' recollections of "Barry" Obama.

Miulang
                          I'm about 1/3 of the way thru "Dreams from My Father" and thoroughly enjoying it. He didn't insist on being called Barack until college, while in search of his racial identity. Even his Kenyan dad called him Barry! "Barry" comes from extremely bright 'stock' on both sides of his family. He calls his grandma "Toot"...a shortened version of tutu!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post

Miulang
                            I submitted it to Slate.com's 'Obama Messiah Watch'. We'll see if it meets their standards. And just so no one gets unduly upset, the rationale behind the Slate feature: "The objective is not to insult Obama, but rather to restore a little rationality to the coverage of his potential candidacy."

Comment

Here (early) is Barack Obama's preannouncement of his candidacy for President. He will be making his announcement officially tomorrow in Springfield, IL, (sorry Oprah!) where he first got his legislative experience and the hometown of Abraham Lincoln.

He and his wide Michelle, apparently will also be appearing on CBS' 60 Minutes show this Sunday.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; February 9, 2007, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Here is Barak Obama's official announcement of his candidacy. It must have been a really slow news day, because all the major cable channels devoted a LOT of time to covering this story this morning.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X