Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pali, Likelike or H-3?

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    I remember catching the Express Bus from high school to home in Kaneohe, and one particular driver used to be like the Bus Driver from Hell! He used to BLAZE down Pali, even around the turns, as if them Grumman buses were built like Formula 1 cars. I swear we came close to going right over the side of the suspended road on the windward side of the Pali a few times. Or at least it seemed so as a passenger! Scary stuff, man.

Here's a good question: Which one of the three has the most HPD presence and speed limit enforcement? In my recent experience, it seems Pali has the most. Especially on the town side of the tunnel.

As TuNnL pointed out, H-3 has become a drag strip, and was a drag strip even before the freeway was complete, when it was in its infancy as just a small strip of roadway leading from Kaneohe Marine Base. Then you had that highly publicized YouTube video of that johnny racer on his Yamaha R-1 blazing over 150 MPH from almost beginning to end on the H-3. There's a thread here about that somewhere.

Yet, YET, of all the times I've driven over the H-3 in the last few years, haven't seen one cop there. And many cars easily going over 70. Thankfully we don't hear too much about bad accidents on the H-3 (knocks on wood).
    Sorry to use your whole post, I've still not gotten the single quote feature down! Anyway there are frequent multiple cop cars/motorcycles (usually 3)
    going down the Like Like. They'll progress along past the tunnels and end just after that state thing where I think they park their trucks and have some sort of division there. I have seen the final of the three right after the runaway truck ramp. A sure sign is everyone putting on the brakes on the downhill 9 out of 10 times the speed traps start.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
      Sorry to use your whole post, I've still not gotten the single quote feature down![...]
      Psssst, leashlaws! You actually did do the single quote. If you didn't want to use the quote in it's entirety then, AFTER you click the 'quote' button, just delete the part(s) of the quote you don't want to use. The bracketed QUOTE and /QUOTE need to remain. </pssst!>

Back on topic! I rarely drive to the windward side anymore so I let my passport expire.

Comment

My family and I love the H-3 and take it whenever we can. Like most, though, the decision is based more on where you want to go (i.e. Pearl Harbor to Kaneohe versus downtown to Lanikai) than most other considerations. The H-3 view is hard to beat, the higher speed limit refreshing, and my wife likes to hold her breath through the Tetsuo Harano tunnel.

That said, we know several people who avoid the H-3 for cultural, historical, political, and simply superstitious reasons. For me, that just means less traffic!

Comment

I too avoided the H3 for a long time. Then Frank Kawaiokapualani Hewitt
          (sorry if I misspelled) gave it his blessing as a route to travel and I started
          using it. This of course was almost daily at the time as I worked at the Costco
          outlet store location and it made life much easier to commute to!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Psssst, leashlaws! You actually did do the single quote. If you didn't want to use the quote in it's entirety then, AFTER you click the 'quote' button, just delete the part(s) of the quote you don't want to use. The bracketed QUOTE and /QUOTE need to remain. </pssst!>
            Oh, Tutu, you self-described non-techie you. When you do a [psssst!] you close it with brackets like this [/psssst], not with those pointy-eared thingies like this </pssst!>.

Back on topic! I rarely drive to the windward side anymore so I let my passport expire.
            Passports are only required for the makai side of the road. The mauka side only needs a Visa.
            Or an American Express.

Back on topic. There are motorcycle cops sitting on the townbound side of H-3 quite often. Usually three to five of them.
            And as for the original question, I use whichever one is most convenient for where I'm going in town, but I usually take the H-3 coming home.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              TheBus routes #55, #56 and #65 uses the Pali. I am not sure which highway the #57 takes.
              Looking at The Bus map, 4, 55, 56, 57, 57A, 65, 85, 89 take the Pali,

85, 85A, 86, 86A, 88, 88A take Likelike

Comment

Drove on H-3 everyday for work from 2000-2003 when I lived on Oahu. We were in Ewa Beach and I worked in K-Bay. H-3 was like heaven... when compared to the time I spent during the rest of the commute on H-1 and Fort Weaver Road.

Comment

I rarely go to the windward side since I don't live there. My commute is mostly in town. So if I were to pick one, it be "none" but not for the reasons stated in the poll.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm an H-3'er. Hop on from the H-1 and spin around the little cloverleaf. Dial up my I-Pod to my H-3 song (yes, it has it's own song), hit repeat, then sit back and gawk at the K-Mountains in all their glory. Wizz through the super-fun tunnel and shoot out the other side into a completely different weather pattern. Kaneone Bay is on the left and never fails to make me smile. Strain for a glimpse of the Stairway on the right just before the small tunnel. Then it's making sure you get the hell outta the way for any trucks that picked up speed during the descent. By the time I exit Kam Hwy, I'm grinning like an idiot. No matter how awful I felt on H-1, I always feel awesome after driving the H-3. That's one thing I really, really miss.

Yes, I realize I'm a total weirdo. But I didn't grow up there and didn't get jaded by, "Oh look, more mountains. BFD."

Likelike is not as scenic. The Pali...well. It's okay, but it's not half as cool as the H-3. Although St. Stephen's at the corner of Ahi is one of my landmarks (with the three bells).

And I've seen cops most times I drove the H-3. They're on the Ewa-bound side about a mile before the H-1.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      85, 85A, 86, 86A, 88, 88A take Likelike
                      After March 2, 2009 the 86 and 86A will be using the H-3.

On the poll I selected None of the above. I have a helicopter, hot air baloon or other means, because I either take TheBus or catch a ride with someone else when I go to the Windward side.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        My destination was back to our office which is near downtown, so then I thought, if I took Likelike, I'd either have to fight traffic on H-1 to get from Kalihi to downtown. Or, take the Kalihi street cutoff and drive down King Street east-bound, dealing with all the traffic lights and construction work along the way in the Palama area.
                        Ahem! Some of us who call Kalihi "home" look at the matter quite differently. Damn Windward motorists clogging up our neighborhood roads trying to get to town.

j/k

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        Another advantage of Likelike over Pali is that there's less elevation gain. A bonus if you're in a underpowered car. I remember the school buses taking Likelike for that reason.
                        True. But in the days before H3, the one exception came to buses transporting football teams/marching bands. If a Windward team played Farrington at Aloha Stadium, going back home on the Likelike meant they (Castle, Kailua, or Kalaheo) lost. If they won, the drivers wouldn't chance Likelike. Going up the Pali obviously meant a major detour for Castle HS, but it was either enduring the inconvience,..... or risking shattered windows driving past Kam IV Road Housing.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          On the poll I selected None of the above. I have a helicopter, hot air baloon or other means, because I either take TheBus or catch a ride with someone else when I go to the Windward side.
                          Technically, TheBus is "other means," but it still takes one of the three highway options, or the long way round/circle route - which was part of the fourth option.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            The H-3 view is hard to beat, the higher speed limit refreshing, and my wife likes to hold her breath through the Tetsuo Harano tunnel.
                            We do that, too...learned the breath-holding from DS...one of his Kama`aina Kids programs.

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                            ....sit back and gawk at the K-Mountains in all their glory. Wizz through the super-fun tunnel and shoot out the other side into a completely different weather pattern. Kaneohe Bay is on the left and never fails to make me smile....I always feel awesome after driving the H-3.
                            My thoughts exactly. The HNL side of that highway reminds me a little of I-40; but BETTER! We still ooh and aah when we exit the tunnel onto the windward side.

I haven't travelled the LikeLike--one of the few roads we haven't used yet. So my vote is kinda skewed, and I might change my mind.

Do I really need a passport? I wondered; does my passport for the Leeward side count?

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                              [...]
                              Do I really need a passport? I wondered; does my passport for the Leeward side count?
                              Windward and leeward sides use the same passport but different visas. Be sure to not get caught on one side of the island with the other side's visa. And whatever you do, don't take pork over the Pali!

Comment

Mahalo, Tutu! Now where to get the visas...Zippy's, or L&L?

Comment

Working...
                                X