Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Kilinahe and I got the chili dog combo special at Woody's at Waikele (in front of Lowe's). Hard to resist after a day of garden shopping. (Why is everyone out of red cinder?) $6.50 for two chili dogs, a 20 oz. drink and a bag of chips. They had several varieties of hot dog, but we went with the basic.

Maybe a bit on the small side, but still quite tasty. Good chili (no beans), cheese optional (yes please), and you can pile on onions and jalapeno peppers to your heart's content (and we did). The cart is a franchise, so even if the fare isn't outstanding, it's probably consistent!

Comment

We are not having the next HT picnic without Pomai.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Andagi + Hot Dog = Andadog

Originally posted by Pomai
        Part 2 of 2.

The Finished Product:

Here are 4 of the best finished examples I had of each Andadog variation. Some were cooked darker (more burnt) than I would have liked, but they were still ono!

Left to right: (Costco) Polish Dog, Redondo's Winner, Oscar Mayer, Redondo's Teriyaki Winner.

Conclusion:
        My favorite of the 4 varieties was the (Costco) Polish Dog. It's strong flavor matched the best with the slightly sweet Andagi. A close second goes to the Teriyaki Winner, which helped enhance the sweetness of the Andagi, making it a flavorful standout. The red winner was my least favorite, as it didn't match well with the Andagi.

I made this for our Memorial day beach picnic, and my family visiting from the mainland made quick work of the 30 Andadogs I created, enjoying every single bite. It was a fun trial and taste test that I'll certainly do again. If you've never tried them before, please do, Andadogs are really ono!
        I wonder how it would taste, made with Spam, or Vienna Sausages?
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          We are not having the next HT picnic without Pomai.
          Keeping your eye on the main chance, eh, Scriv? I may fight you for some of them.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Wow. Are we in the presence of the next Iron Chef? Pomai, those Andagidogs are gorgeous!

I'm sure they are perfect plain, but were some of your customers dipping them into anything?
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Those andadogs look great. I'm making some soon.
              What type of oil did you use for the deep frying? Canola, peanut?
              Thanks.

Comment

Ok, Pomai that is the equivalent of a XXX image to a 9 months pregnant woman. Mmmmm a polish sausage andadog. *faint*
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

To address several comments & questions regarding those home-made Andadogs...

- Extrascoop, I cooked them on stovetop in a heavy pot with Wesson Canola Oil @ approx. 350 degrees F (estimated).

- Lavagal, my customers (family) didn't dip them in anything - they're tasty "as is" - which is how they're served at the festival. Still, I'd imagine ketchup or mustard would work fine. Or perhaps something fancy like a Wasabi Aioli?

- Susie's idea of SPAM and Vienna Sausage will certainly be included in my next andadog trial (coming soon!) - along with Lup Cheong, Portuguese Sausage and those meatless (Tofu?) hot dogs.

- Kijimuna, thanks for that info. I had a feeling the Andagi recipes circulating locally (such as the one given from HECO) were adaptations of the basic Okinawan version. Besides, since when did Okinawans use Vanilla extract in their cooking? Thank goodness for that premixed stuff. I've been told that the Andadog was created fairly recently by a local Okinawan who regularly volunteers at the festival. B-T-W, what is Chibin?

- LeiKaina, I should have put a RATED R-PREGNANT warning ahead of those photos. Keep in mind, hot dogs and sausages are produced strictly for consumption; not any other use.

Speaking of warnings, a deep-fried hot dog will never make your doctor's top 10 healthiest foods list, but as an occasional indulgence, I say go for it!

- Finally, Scrivener, yes I'll be at the next HT picnic provided it's at least 2 months or more down the road, as I'll be tied up on most weekends until then with off-island visitors. I suppose that means I should bring Andadogs as my contribution to the potluck?

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

7-11 has a special (of which I have no idea how long it will last), buy 2 regular Big Bite hot dogs and a Big Gulp for $3.79.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                      - LeiKaina, I should have put a RATED R-PREGNANT warning ahead of those photos. Keep in mind, hot dogs and sausages are produced strictly for consumption; not any other use.
                      Great. Now I've got the image of LeiKaina enjoying an andadog in my mind. Boy, those andadogs look good.

Comment

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! You guys are KILLING ME!!!!! OK, it is I, Mike from the Great Hawaiian Hotdog Company. I would NEVER say WE are the best hot dog in Honolulu, but the readers of Honolulu Magazine did and voted Great Hawaiian the Best Hot Dog in the city for 2006. This was not the part that was killing me...Woody's has never been at Comp USA on Ala Moana, That is The Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Company!

Thank you all, I feel better now...OK...We serve Great Hawaiian Sirloin Steak dogs. They are made with only Sirloin Steak Meat, Garlic and Worcestershire Sauce. THEN, we have the Great Hawaiian Secret Garlic Sauce or the Great Hawaiian Secret Spicy Garlic Sauce that you can have over your perfectly cooked Sirloin Steak Dog along with our other toppings! Cheese, Ketchup, Mustard, BBQ Sauce, Rooster Sauce, Onions, Jalapenos, Relish, Sauerkraut, Celery Salt and even Bacon! We use specially made Gourmet Buns that come to us fresh each day.

If you are thinking that maybe a sausage is more your speed, try one of our Smokies! These are handmade; double smoked, lean Pork Meat and Bacon Sausages. They have a Natural Wrapper on them so when you bite into them they have that AWESOME SNAP! They weigh in at 1/3 to 1/2 pounds. As they are hand made the Old-Fashioned way, each one is a little different in size.

The Sirloin Steak Dog will set you back $4.00 ($5 in Waikiki) and the Smokie runs for $6.00. Again there are no extra costs for the toppings and these two Great Hawaiian Treats are the Best of the Best. We would LOVE to Have You for Lunch!

Mike http://www.GreatHawaiian.com

Comment

Well, hello Mike from the Great Hawaiian Hotdog Company. Thanks for the correction. I've eaten many a Great Hawaiian Hotdog, usually when I hit CompUSA and browse too long and realize my lunch hour is up! I don't think I've ever had a 'specialty dog,' though. I order whatever's closest to the plainest Janest menu item.

As for Woody's franchisees, as I mentioned, I only know the one at Waikele. Here's their other locations.

Comment

I tried one of the sirloin dogs at CompUSA today, and dang. It was super-duper mega-yummy. Flavorful and clean, tender and juicy. And that was just the cutie who sold me the dog.

Just kidding. Really, it's a great hot dog. Five bucks for a dog like that plus a cold Diet Coke -- totally worth it, except the Diet Coke part. Don't you know hot dogs love Diet Pepsi and Diet Pepsi loves hot dogs?

Anyway, yum.
                            Last edited by scrivener; August 4, 2006, 07:32 PM. Reason: "is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away?"
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh do not even START.

I was subjected to Redondo wieners during the Great Nurses Strike of 2001, or thereabouts. Shocking fluorescent pink residue on the buns. Eeek.

Take your butts over to Foodland in Kailua for a true NY hotdog treat.

They have just started selling Boars Head brand cold cuts and hot dogs. The natural casing (read: pops when ya bites 'em) hot dogs fly out of the case. They also CUT TO ORDER (oh shock of shocks in Hawaii) cold cuts from NY. Ham, etc. Holy shmageggies.

Comment

Scrivener, how ironic! We tried the exact same thing today (first time), except our visit was at Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Co.'s cart located at Hilo Hattie's Nimitz location.

Here's a cutaway view of my Sirloin Steak Dog, including the "Secret Garlic Sauce"....

My opinion differed a bit though. Visit link below (blog) for my full review, including a few more pics.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X