Homeless solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homeless solutions

The amazing thing is that providing for needy in any way begets rules and regulations that don't or won't or can't be adhered to as well as you will always have the oddballs hollaring "communistic!" We could offer all these things to them and then we would be aggravated when we sat back and watched them spend what money they did come across on what they WANTED just in the same manner people watch those on welfare and spit and cuss about their pimpin rims, blaster speakers, pagers, cell phones, nails and extensions while on the almighty dole. I even questioned why they allowed a person getting assistance to do as they chose with their money and was given the answer, "Because it would communistic to tell them what to do with their money."
    Wow.

And p.s. the 1200 some odd views are likely the bots being discussed several threads up as opposed to any member here that have no desire to comment or suggest.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      ... we should bar the gates against potential future residents who don't have the resources to be homefull.
      Can't. ..........
      Freedom of movement under United States law is governed primarily by the Privileges and Immunities Clause of the United States Constitution which states, "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...ted_States_law
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
        providing for needy in any way begets rules and regulations that don't or won't or can't be adhered to as well as you will always have the oddballs hollaring "communistic!"
        My plan doesn't/can't address all the afflicted, it is aimed solely at the thousands who are willing and able to conform, maintain, and benefit for the long haul, even in the most minimal of ways. Of those many, there will be a few who excel from the opportunities provided and will lead highly productive lives that the community can benefit from, whom would have otherwise been lost.
        There are so many positives from this basic act of common sense and decency, that to ignore them and the fairly easy solutions is senseless.

I stumbled upon K108's (1080AM radio) Carroll Cox and his Sunday morning show (8-10am) which focuses on local politics and injustices. Amidst all the ramblings was a rare voice of the gutter public being allowed to be heard, with listener call-ins and street people telling some very ugly first hand tales concerning the homeless and those profiteering from them. www.carrollcox.com
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

It's not like my plan is such a departure from what is available for families, vets, and other 'groups' that qualify for upgraded situations. But the large group of singles is always neglected, not just as low priority but as NO priority. Here's an example of what is available for some http://www.riveroflifemission.org/residential.htm That look's like a real home, my planned 'home' is less than a shack comparatively. But it at least gives a person SOMETHING, a place to start getting it back together instead of under the cracks that millions are falling thru.

Gov. Neil's big move of guiding indy groups who for years fed the needy at parks and elsewhere towards consolidating their efforts with the more established providers has done nothing to help, but in fact greatly lessened the options of basic nutrition. IHS and River Of Life, Honolulu's two main soup kitchen's to whom the others were told to partner with, have not upped their serving times or nutritional amounts, in fact they are said to often be worse than before Abercrombie and his homeless czar's dastardly deeds, and it was already threadbare at these places even tho they get substantial Gmt. money for every plate of food they serve.

Here's an interesting article that paints a typically bleak picture of Kakaako's homeless shelter Next Step http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/20...eless-shelter/ This warehouse was said to be a temporary fix, years ago, yet what has happened to anything considered an improvement?
          A caller on Cox's show said there's usually no hot water and toilet paper is doled out in small amounts right at the shelter's main desk, plus rats and the bed bug infestation remain rampant, and not even patches to the massively leaking roof. No friggin dignity there, folks. We, as a society (in the Land Of Aloha(?) need to do much better!
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 8, 2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
            Freedom of movement under United States law is governed primarily by the Privileges and Immunities Clause of the United States Constitution which states, "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...ted_States_law
            Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            We, as a society (in the Land Of Aloha(?) need to do much better!
            On one hand, we have droves of homeless/unemployed people from other parts of this country flocking to these islands. And on the other, we expect the governor and the very limited resources of our state to somehow solve this problem single-handedly.

It doesn't add up, folks.

Every year going back to I-Don't-Know-When, public schools would issue out these federal survey cards designed to identify each-and-every student (like military dependents) who would count towards money the DOE would get from Federal Impact Aid. It seems to me that in a similar way, our state is being over-burdened by too many freeloaders who come to Hawaii to escape the mainland weather and expect a handout while not contributing a cent to our state's depleted tax coffers.

Bottom line: Pity for the homeless doesn't build housing. Only $$$$ does. If Hawaii can't stop the homeless from the mainland entering our shores, then the federal govt. needs to step up with supplementary funding to help our state tackle this problem. We can't do it alone.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              On one hand, we have droves of homeless/unemployed people from other parts of this country flocking to these islands. And on the other, we expect the governor and the very limited resources of our state to somehow solve this problem single-handedly.
              I don't think the numbers of yearly freeloaders is all that high, maybe no different than California, and maybe even way less. And since we're Hawaii, we can expect a certain number of future dependants. But another main point towards my argument is that no matter how many underprivileged we have, doing what we are currently doing isn't really helping, in fact it's costing us more than if we just ponied up the dough to take proper care of those in need. Proactive caretaking ends up being cheaper than letting people wallow until they need an ambulance and Fire Dept. crews, sometimes for the bazillionth time, and then much higher healthcare costs are incured that our tax dollars end up paying for. This state is swimming in money, but little of it goes anywhere productive in regards to the street lifers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                This state is swimming in money,
                And right there, you've lost your grip on the reality of the situation.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There's money available, gobs of it, just not in the hands of those who can make the best use of it.

Comment

As soon as the state sets up decent living conditions for the homeless, I'm selling my home, stashing my assets, and moving in. That's exactly what I'm looking for - free housing, free utilities, free food, free medical and free whatever else I can get. I'm sure plenty would enjoy a pineapple dole. I don't need to drink, smoke or do any drugs. A bicycle and a bus pass are all the transportation I need - thank God you're trying to fulfill my dreams of paradise, Ron.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      thank God you're trying to fulfill my dreams of paradise, Ron.
                      If what I'm planning suits your needs and your assets are untraceable, have at it. I know many will take the wrong advantage of it, but that's an example of the small price that must be paid to get what needs done, done.

Comment

Ron, that is exactly the problem, it is not a "Small Price to Pay". If it was, there would be no discussion. What you are seeking, although admirable, is not realistic as voiced by others.
                        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto View Post
                          it is not a "Small Price to Pay". If it was, there would be no discussion.
                          You're already paying a much higher price, is that acceptable to anybody? Incredibly, it seems it is, as we are already paying higher prices for many things, like healthcare, because we don't prevent needless things from happening and then pay thru the ass when the problem explodes. Too many don't want to lessen their costs by basic and decent humane prevention, it seems too high a price. Some moan, we don't have the money to do what I propose... but, we got the money to pay for the sad results at way higher prices that solve nothing, kinda stupid, eh?

Comment

Are all the homeless people on the island former residents OF the island?
                            Surely, they weren't homeless elsewhere and somehow managed to get a one way ticket to Oahu to purposely continue to live that way.
                            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Formerly, we had homeless living in hau forests along the highway, or on remote beaches on the Leeward side. Not much of a problem. But they got chased out.

Now we have homeless living in town, putting their tents up along public roads, in public view.

Am I the only one who sees the problem here?

Find unoccupied territory where the homeless can set up where they will not be in the way. Encourage their self-sufficiency. Don't kick them out. Let them survive.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
                                Are all the homeless people on the island former residents OF the island? Surely, they weren't homeless elsewhere and somehow managed to get a one way ticket to Oahu to purposely continue to live that way.
                                It's multi-cultural, with many of Hawaiian blood, many regular local, many haole, and many others came here to be homeless in sunny paradise while 'enjoying' the free meals and State mental assistance bennies. Lot's of one way tickets from State's looking to dump their bums on us.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                Formerly, we had homeless living in hau forests along the highway, or on remote beaches on the Leeward side. Not much of a problem. But they got chased out.

Now we have homeless living in town, putting their tents up along public roads, in public view.

Find unoccupied territory where the homeless can set up where they will not be in the way. Encourage their self-sufficiency. Don't kick them out. Let them survive.
                                To me, anybody living in squalor, by choice or circumstance IS a problem. We're not supposed to allow third world conditions, especially for children, but that's exactly where we are.

The homeless need to encamp en mass on Capital property, get arrested and come right back repeatedly until the needs are addressed in total. City and State officials are dispicable in their actions of ignoring the best solutions.

That's merely encouraging further squalor without resolution. Merely surviving while existing in dirt is no life, that's what we've done in places like Haiti where billions were wasted on nothing after the hurricane two years ago. Friggin BILLIONS wasted on one single focus, but oh, we don't have money to do something that actually works.
                                I have a simple plan for Haiti, if it had been implimented they'd be thriving now, on the verge of wealth. And the same plan would work here in Hawaii, but our Gov. is a lying asshole that needs to be kicked out asap.

Comment

Working...
                                X