Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza?

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    Isn't Mama's Pizza run by Ken Wilson, voice of the UH Rainbows in the mid-'70s, major league play-by-play announcer, and now with KHON-2? I'm going to try them when I'm on the windward side.
    Yep, opened in Dec. 2005 by that very same Ken Wilson. Mama, BTW, is Ken's wife Marlene. They're real proud of their chicken wings, too, FYI.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      My all-time favorite was from CHICO'S (where the Kaimuki City Mill is now located) called the HOMETOWNER: Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, slices of fresh tomato. These days, I'll order a take-out "Hawaiian pizza" (pineapple, ham) and top it off with my own tomatoes.

I also like vegetarian (green pepper, onion, mushroom, garlic, olive). I don't like pepperoni, but enjoy Italian sausage.
      OMIGOSH! I used to love Chico's ... not that it would meet my pizza standards today, but when I was going to UH and living in a dorm ... they delivered AND took checks -- two very important considerations for me at the time.

I remember going there too, at least once ... crispy crust, ooey gooey cheese melted off the edges until it too, got crispy. I DO remember liking their tomato sauce, as it was rich and mellow-tasting, IIRC.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

In related news today...

$1,000 pizza pie? That's amorè!
        A New York restaurateur has cooked up the world's most extravagant pizza - a $1,000 pie topped with six kinds of caviar and fresh lobster.
        I hope the delivery driver arrives in a Bugatti.

I'm not one for "gourmet pizza", but I tried the Smoked Salmon and Caviar special from Wolfgang Puck Express once. The crust is baked first, then spread with softened cream cheese, then completely covered with thin slices of smoked salmon and garnished with caviar, capers and basil and EV olive oil. Very simple yet so ono! Reasonable too.. only $12 for the personal pie (it's a take-out, which explains that).

There's also the World's Most Expensive Sundae called the Golden Opulence from Serendipity of New York.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Being Italian, I just can't bring myself to buy Pizza from a guy named Wolfgang.
          Nevermind the fact that he charges an arm and a leg for it. Him and his "California Pizza" - all the toppongs....what a load of hooey.

REAL, good pizza needs no toppings. Just the sauce and the cheeze. All that other stuff is a distraction to keep you from noticing that the crust and sauce are substandard. We have lots of that here in LA....and overpriced to boot. As a result, I eat alot less Pizza than I used to back on Long Island.

Pizza, was something you could always grab quick on the run...
          Here it's a big sitdown thing, where they serve it to you like it's a big deal...It's friggin PIZZA....

Go to NY, or Chicago (Deep Dish!!!) and have Pizza there, from some mom and pop place named "Anthony's" or "Vinnies" Pizza, where they sell it by the slice from an 20-24" pie, and it's $1.50 a slice. I guarantee, you'll never buy Pizza from "Wolfgang" again.

And that guy from NY should be ashamed of himself...putting caviar on PIZZA.

Sorry, rant over.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
            I just can't bring myself to buy Pizza from a guy named Wolfgang.
            ...or "puck." My dental expenses are high enough at present, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              ...or "puck." My dental expenses are high enough at present, thank you.
              puck puck puck...er...I mean...yuk yuk yuk

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                Go to NY, or Chicago (Deep Dish!!!) and have Pizza there, from some mom and pop place named "Anthony's" or "Vinnies" Pizza, where they sell it by the slice from an 20-24" pie, and it's $1.50 a slice.

Having performed in both cities last year, I got the opportunity to try their famous pizzas. And while the Chicago deep-dish style was good, nothing beats New York pizza. The only problem was finding a place that sold pizza in New York City... they're kind of scarce. </sarcasm>

I think the key to "New York style" is the attitude. You can get The Big New Yorker from Pizza Hut in Honolulu, but it's somehow not the same.

Here's what I mean. While watching a Jets game in New York (okay the stadium is technically in New Jersey, but whatever), I had to use the bathroom. So I found a fat cop standing against a wall near the concession stand. I asked, "Hey do you know where bathroom is?"

Without even looking at me, he said in his heavy Brooklyn accent, "Who knows."

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. When God takes away your ability to be nice to strangers who have to pee, He makes up for it by giving you the ability to make awesome pizza.

Chicagoans, you might want to start being a-holes to your tourists.

I used to love Mama Mia's cheese pizza with a side of ranch dressing. Mmmm. A hefty waitress turned me on to that. Always trust a big lady on food advice. She almost demanded that I try it.

Comment

There is a place in Oregon, actually a few...called Papa's Pizza Parlor.
                  So far the only pizza I have liked better has been in Chicago.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

When in Chicago, find Pizzaria Uno and (across the street) Pizzaria Due. NOT the national chain, but the original place from where the chain first started.

Best deep-dish I've ever had. New York style is a thinner crust, which is what I prefer.

But when I got separated from a school tour-group in Boston in 1976, and ended up wandering the Little Italy neighborhood - well, you can imagine how good the slices from a little corner pizzaria were.

Comment

• Re: Pizza?

When in Chicago, find Pizzaria Uno and (across the street) Pizzaria Due. NOT the national chain, but the original place from where the chain first started.

Best deep-dish I've ever had. New York style is a thinner crust, which is what I prefer.

But when I got separated from a school tour-group in Boston in 1976, and ended up wandering the Little Italy neighborhood - well, you can imagine how good the slices from a little corner pizzaria were.
                      when I was in Chicago, I made it a point to eat at Pizzaria Duo...A M A Z I N G !!!!

Definitely worth looking for.

Comment

Mama's Island Pizza rocks. I also like Round Table. We're pretty well catered for, pizza-wise, in Kailua. Must be ten choices.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I hope one day to be able to try both Chicago and NYC style pizza. I watch all those shows on The Food Network about them and drool like Homer Simpson. I have a feeling I would prefer NYC style. How thin is the NYC crust? I'm a thin crust pizza lover.
                          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                            I have a feeling I would prefer NYC style. How thin is the NYC crust? I'm a thin crust pizza lover.
                            It's thick enough to hold everything when you pick it up, but it's not European-style cracker-thin crust. You should be able to hold a single slice in one hand, folded down the middle from point-to-end, like the letter "V."

Comment

It's thick enough to hold everything when you pick it up, but it's not European-style cracker-thin crust. You should be able to hold a single slice in one hand, folded down the middle from point-to-end, like the letter "V."
                              ...and a REALLY good crust, you don't even have to fold it, it just supports the whole deal. that's rare, and it usually happens when the pizza has cooled off and is reheated. The thing about the crust there, most people say it's the water (or WAUGHTUGH, as we say), which is probably true. Also, those OTIS ovens they cook it in.

I also like wood oven and brick oven pizza, which is fancy for NY standards, where the "norm" is the regular OTIS metal ovens.

However...not ALL NY pizza is good. Contrary to popular belief, the much touted RAY's Pizza sucks. People always talk about Ray's...I've never had a good slice from a Ray's Pizza (there are many)

To me, the best Pizza is in the boroughs....Queens and Brooklyn and Long Island. The little mom and pop places.

Chicago is a whole different deal, but I LOVE it. That deep dish crust is so good.

Comment

The worst is California Pizza Kitchen. If I wanted raw dough, oil and lawn clippings as food, I could make that at home.
                                Burl Burlingame
                                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                                X