So, Where's Peter-Boy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Where's Peter-Boy?

It's about time someone asked about this child and GOD bless Dennis Arakaki for doing it. What the is wrong with the East Hawaii Child Welfare Office? All these years we have wondered and asked "So, where's Peter-Boy?" yet only now we're asking. If the system were run right CPS should have removed all the Kema children untill they got a satisfactory answer . Now a Puna girl recovers in a O'ahu hospital and answers are slow to come. How come the people at East Hawaii Child Welfare Office still can't do the right thing? Thank GOD the crime of murder has no time limit... Justice will be served for Peter and the other keiki.
    Last edited by alohabear; March 30, 2005, 05:02 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: So, Where's Peter-Boy?

Records could help fill gaps in Peter Boy case
    Mike Gordon, Honolulu Advertiser, Monday, April 4, 2005
    "Obviously, Peter Boy is dead," [Hawai'i County Prosecutor Jay] Kimura said. "We have to show a person, or persons, is responsible for causing that death." ... The Kemas, who have split up, were unavailable for comment for this story. Peter Kema Sr. is a handyman in Hilo, and his landlord said Kema did not want to talk. Jaylin Kema's location is not publicly known... Jaylin Kema received a restraining order against her husband through January 2008.
    Considering how badly things turned out for the couple, I wonder why the mother hasn't seized the opportunity to share a bit more detail about her husband's unusual job hunting trip in Honolulu? Unless, of course, the pair have collected enough on each other to make talking a bad idea all around.

Comment

Tonight, the question still remains. Tonight they show a picture of how Peter Boy would look like today. They say, his case will help how to deal with similiar cases in the the future. Child abuse is child abuse!

His grandmother is relieved that finally her pleas of something getting done...is getting done. His siblings reported they were abused by their parents, they said, Peter Boy got the worse of it.

The State screwed up big time on this...it cost Peter Boy's life!

I would assume that with the evidence that they have on his parents on the abuse they afflicted on him since birth, put their okole's in prison. Still, that is much too small a price to pay for abusing a child, and for a child's life.

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; April 30, 2005, 10:27 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

'Is anybody listening?'
        Mike Gordon, Honolulu Advertiser, Sunday, May 1, 2005
        Twice in the 15 months before the state closed its case on Peter Boy Kema in October 1995, social workers were warned that it was a potentially dangerous decision. Three years later, state officials conceded that the child might be dead. Those revelations are contained in confidential documents made public yesterday for the first time by the state Department of Human Services...

Neither Peter nor Jaylin Kema could be reached for comment on the latest developments in the case. Their former landlord, who is also Jaylin Kema's church pastor, said yesterday that they have moved and she has not seen her in months. Jaylin Kema's two older children are living with their birth father on the Mainland. Her youngest child was adopted by the Acols.

Comment

I am glad to know people have not forgotten about Peter Boy Kema. Certainly in the last 8 years somebody has to know something, no! Are they not asking the right questions? It breaks my heart to see years go by without answers.
          I hope this new investigation uncovers something, but I am disgusted at shild welfare agencies who place innocent children back with parents who are unstable and abusive. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING PLEASE!!!

Comment

Babygirl, beautiful and precious screen name! Yes, something needs to be done. Unfortunately, many children get undetected. For the ones that do go into the "system"...it's not a guarantee of safty either.

My sister and her husband are Foster Parents of Drug and Sexual Abuse Infants and Children. Over the years, our whole family has been a part of each child and condsider them as family. Those who have grown up, come back and visit often, never forgetting the love, compassion, safe environment in which they had with my sister, my brother and our OHANA.

We can only continue to pray and ask for God's protection for them. We must also make sure that our Politicians do their jobs, putting priorities into place. If they don't...get them out next election. Ah, if only but a dream!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Peter Boy is probably dead because of neglect, both from his parents and the State. Peter Boy, unfortunately, is not the only one who has slipped through the cracks. I don't understand why it takes cases like this one to finally make people stop and think about the number of damaged children---the next generation--- who are slipping through the cracks because of inept parenting and an even more inept State system that's supposed to be protecting the children. Peter Boy started out with a handicap even before he was born---his mother had addictions. Auntie Lynn's sister has been taking care of some kids like Peter Boy, and people like her should be awarded the Congressional Award for Patience and Humanity because it's tough enough raising normal kids, nevermind kids who had addicted parents who passed it on to their kids.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Peter Boy files to be released May 31
                In 11 days, the state plans to release thousands of pages of confidential files about missing child-abuse victim Peter Boy Kema, a decision that will give the public unprecedented access to one of Hawai'i's most perplexing child welfare cases... The files will be released on the Internet, said Derick Dahilig, department spokesman. Workers have been busy redacting the names of Peter Boy's siblings, foster parents, some court-appointed officials and all Human Services employees, past and present, he said.

Comment

Hold on. Redacting the names of Peter Boy's other family members, OK. But why in the world are they redacting the names of the state social workers and court officials? Aren't these people carrying out their official duties? What sort of expectation of privacy is there for someone doing his job?

Comment

Maybe because no one in government wants to assume responsibility for the screwups in this case? I think it's called "protecting one's own."

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      Hold on. Redacting the names of Peter Boy's other family members, OK. But why in the world are they redacting the names of the state social workers and court officials? Aren't these people carrying out their official duties? What sort of expectation of privacy is there for someone doing his job?

To say it in simple terms: Da Union(HGEA)
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

The documents have been released.

Peter Boy Kema documents made public
                        Just after midnight, the state Department of Human Services made public about 2,000 pages of documents on what is probably Hawaii's most publicized missing child case -- the disappearance of "Peter Boy" Kema, Jr. in 1997. While the search for Peter Boy has been very public, the state even printed and distributed bumper stickers with his image on it, documents in his case history have been sealed until today.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                          Maybe because no one in government wants to assume responsibility for the screwups in this case? I think it's called "protecting one's own.
                          In this case, I say the real fault goes not to the "government" but to the people--you (well, not YOU, Miulang, because you don't live here) and me. Our social workers would not be so overworked if social workers in this state were paid what they deserve, because more people would enter the field, competition for jobs would be up, and the most qualified social workers would be put in place. Far, far fewer kids would slip through cracks if we, the state of Hawaii, took them seriously enough to do something about them besides print bumper-stickers.

If we told our elected officials that we never, ever want to see this happen again and that we expected them to find a way to fund social welfare at all levels, and then followed through with our votes, we'd at least take steps toward keeping this kind of thing from happening. The problem is that social programs take a long time to bear fruit (nobody wants to hear about the economic gains our state makes when children are removed from the poverty-cycle) and our elected public servants work on two- and four-year cycles. It's one thing for Dennis Arakaki to take up social causes: he represents Kalihi. [edit: I had a sentence here naming specific other representatives and how they should speak up, but in all honesty, I was writing in ignorance--I have no idea who's doing what in Human Services except to check up on Arakaki, my own district's representative, on occasion]

I don't take drugs or steal property. I believe this is because (a) I grew up in a family with a strong work ethic and a strong sense of right and wrong and (b) I was educated. Social workers help kids and families who have problems in these areas to move toward the same (or similar) positive worldviews. But they need time, and they don't get enough of it when they're overloaded.

Pay the social workers.
                          Last edited by scrivener; May 31, 2005, 07:55 AM.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We have the same kinds of issues with our DSHS people here, too. Lots of kids get neglected and abused while supposedly under the protection of the State. We've had our scandals up here, too. In fact the head of DSHS just resigned recently over another set of allegations.

Part of the problem with the status quo is the legal system wanting to keep kids with their biological parents as much as possible, even though it can be proven that the kids have been abused and would probably continue to be abused if returned to their custody. I would rather have a kid be put in a stable foster home than returned to an abusive biological parent. Being a foster parent takes a lot of skill and patience, and foster parents should be supported better than they are (financially and emotionally) today.

Parents who abuse or neglect their children should not be allowed to have more kids and they most definitely should not have the kids they did have returned to them.

Miulang

Comment

Unfortunately, not even Big Island police believe that the formerly confidential documents will contribute significantly to the missing person case. Perhaps the Cold Case Unit with the Atty Gen's Office can build a case. Details of abuse released today are grisly and barbaric. Ugh.
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X