Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    I chuckled when I also read that Mufi "governs the entire island" as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081228/...awaii_power_17
    I don’t get the punchline. Technically, Mufi does govern the entire island, since the City and County of Honolulu includes all of O‘ahu. Am I missing something?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

<with a glass of wine in hand...>
      PHEEEEEEEEW!!!

Was in Makaha during this lightless extravaganza and when we still had no electricity at 3p today I decided to try my best to save all the frozen food...my own, personal MREs that I cooked up last month. I'm back in town...which wasn't on my calendar 'til next Tues.

In the plus column, I had a hurricane kit with a hand crank radio/flashlight. I also had one of those silly tap lights that came in very handy...not to mention lotsa batteries. I, too, commend KSSK. Mike and Larry...you're the best! And, I got a great upper body work-out listening to you!

In the minus column...the snacks in the hurricane kit were really stale. My arms ache from all that crankin'! My cell phone battery chose yesterday to begin what appears to be a rapid death. Didn't make much difference tho' 'cuz no service, regardless of the provider. I was secretly cussing out HawTel wireless when I heard a condo employee mention that no one had cell service. Oh, and my iPod battery died...not that that has anything to do with the outage! I've needed a new laptop battery for months. Still do! I felt so inaccessible and realized how much I depend on my cell phone as a security blanket when I drive.

All my frozen food is currently alive and well and living in town! There was no way I was going to let all that cooking end up in the trash! I stopped by a HawTel store to buy a cell battery and they no longer carry that kinda merchandise.

On my 'to do' list...in addition to the hand crank radio, I also need a regular transistor radio in each hurricane kit. The hand crank is a good back-up. I also need to update the food!!! Blech! I need 2 working cell phone batteries altho' I was able to recharge in the car what little battery power was left.

To add insult to injury, when I left my condo building at 3p today I learned that power had been restored up to one block away! Security told me HECO couldn't give them an estimated time for Makaha.

Town condo building, I heard, fared pretty well. All elevators (4 in each tower) continued to work via a generator. Other buildings in the area, despite having generators, weren't so lucky.

What an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        I don’t get the punchline. Technically, Mufi does govern the entire island, since the City and County of Honolulu includes all of O‘ahu. Am I missing something?
        Not that the statement is wrong, it's just that you don't hear Mufi as governing the island too often.

Aj

Comment

Anyone heard from Auntie Lynn?
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Remember this as well, Hurricane Iwa hit Kauai with the majority of damage, yet power was shut off on Oahu, the Big Island earthquake caused minimal electrical outages on all of the islands, except for Oahu.

Does anyone remember power outages during Iniki? Aj
            Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
            The guy at the restaurant I was at last night said the last time Oahu had rolling blackouts, he and his wife conceived their second child.
            I don't think we lost power during Iniki (1992), at least not on Oahu. I remember the power outage during Iwa (1982) ... it eventually resulted in rolling blackouts, the first time I ever heard that phrase.

Speaking of rolling blackouts, we haven't experienced much of that in recent years. Now, we get total blackouts. Then a slow but steady restoration of power. Did something change between then and now?

Comment

After the last outage from the earthquake, we went out and bought a couple of battery powered flourescent lanterns. Turned out to be a blessing as we had lots of light without all that constant hissing noise. If we need them, we also have 2 propane lanterns and several oil lamps. We also made use of a butane stove to heat up some water for Mel's hot cocoa and our coffee. We'd finished dinner just before the outage.

I always keep a stash of D, C and AA batteries on hand. The big packs from Costco. I, also, filled my tub mostly for use to flush the toilets and a couple of 5 gal. water bottles for consumption. Wife wants me to get a generator. <sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                I don't think we lost power during Iniki (1992), at least not on Oahu. I remember the power outage during Iwa (1982) ... it eventually resulted in rolling blackouts, the first time I ever heard that phrase.[...]
                The Waianae Coast lost power during Iniki. My condo building was the hardest hit building on Oahu and the lengthy loss of electricity caused a number of medical emergencies.

Iwa hit right before Thanksgiving causing the rolling blackouts to occur during the height of cooking!

Comment

Remember this as well, Hurricane Iwa hit Kauai with the majority of damage, yet power was shut off on Oahu, the Big Island earthquake caused minimal electrical outages on all of the islands, except for Oahu.

Does anyone remember power outages during Iniki?
                  To be honest Oahu sufferred wind damage during Iwa which caused the blackouts after it had hit. There was a island wide blackout in either 1983 or 1984 due to fire damaging electrical towers.

There was no island wide blackout during Iniki.

Comment

Doug Carlson brings up alot of questions and good points in his comments here:

http://yourchore.blogspot.com/

And as some might recall he was the HECO spokesperson during Hurricane Iwa in 1982.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      We will have to keep our eye on the maternity wards come next October.

Wonder if there will be a spike in births?
                      Wasn't there a Filipina lady who wanted to make an announcement on Perry and Price and who said something like everyone should go to bed and get closer to their loved ones? and Price made some comment about whether that would increase the Filipino population?

Comment

I remember the power loss during Iniki, I also remember the company I worked for quickly rolling out a t-shirt design that was a hot seller.......

We were making hash (eating kind not smoking kind) from the wasabi crusted prime rib roast I made on Christmas eve when the power went out. Luckily we could poach the eggs to top and crisp the hash on the gas grill side burner. Note to self: always have a grill with a side burner!We had candles going and when we went to sleep we had those rechargeable candles set about the house and bedroom for a soft glow and so we didn't trip/fall/ whatever when using the lua.

Our power went back on about 12:30 and we commenced by drinking a cold Foster's or two and making above mentioned hash for lunch with eggs again. A trip to the farmer's market at KCC yielded stories of no traffic lights, and long long long lines at the vendors who sell ready made food. We are now making butternut squash soup, homemade pizza and quaffing vodka with seltzer and lime!

Perry and Price did a great job, I should listen to them more often and not only in times of disaster. I tip my hat and Manele & Koele raise their paws in salute to their fine programming! O.K., I have to admit I grew weary and bored every time the HECO spokesperson updated by number of how many households had power restored.....mainly because we weren't among them!
                        Last edited by leashlaws; December 27, 2008, 06:21 PM. Reason: add comment

Comment

Doug Carlson brings up alot of questions and good points in his comments here:

http://yourchore.blogspot.com/
                          I like those questions for HECO. I have the same questions myself.

I hate to be overly critical in these situations since I can empathize with the pressures of being an engineer, but I find it hard to believe that something as common as a lightning strike can cause an island-wide outage for 12 hours.

The outage following the '06 earthquake was understandable. I imagine it's impossible to cost-effectively design that level of availability into the infrastructure. A lightning strike, though? Come on, HECO. You have to expect lightning will hit your equipment on a regular basis. If it takes out a part of the island, OK; if it takes out the entire island for an hour, OK; but it took out the entire island for 12 hours!

If anyone here works at HECO, used to work at HECO, knows someone, or just knows a lot about HECO, please explain it to me. I just don't get it.

Comment

I had the impression that part of the 12 hour time was to inspect the transmission cables which were harder to do given it was during the night and questionable weather conditions.

Comment

Hooray for Doug Carlson, I too would like answers to those questions.

Personally, I don’t think very highly of Perry; he takes a dumb stand on his show and won’t allow anyone with an opposing view on the air. The last straw for me was when he went off about the sewer system using ancient Roman technology, i.e. gravity. But that’s off topic. His remarks to the person from Akron were rude; plain and simple.

To be fair I will have to say he is a good entertainer and other than his complete blind loyalty to HECO and rudeness to those who have an opposing view, he did a great job during the blackout.

I remember we had an island wide blackout cause by a cane fire under high voltage power lines, HECO said they needed alternate lines in case some lines go down. They were then allowed to put up the alternate lines. You can see some of them on Kam highway in Pearl City and Aiea. So what happened? Do they need to install a third set of power lines?
                              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                              Ayn Rand

Comment

Interesting story today on Time Magazine’s website. It appears to be the most detailed information from a national media source, on the official steps taken to protect President-elect Barack Obama.
                                The $11 million rental property where Obama is staying lost power at 8:08 p.m. Friday night, prompting a security scramble by Honolulu police, the U.S. Secret Service and the U.S. military.

Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann ordered the Honolulu police department to beef up patrols in the area around Obama's beachfront compound while the Hawaiian Electric Company sent a portable generator to the home to ensure that Obama's family and staff were powered up.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X