X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Superferry

Originally posted by Miulang
    Are these people thinking only of their immediate short term gain? What would happen if there was an oil spill or some other kind of environmental disaster?
    Considering the sorts of things that are transported over our waterways for industrial and commercial purposes - much greater toxicity at much, much higher volumes - I would thing two consumer-serving vessels would be the least of their worries. If a Superferry has an accident, you might end up with a fuel spill and 250 cars at the bottom of the ocean, true. But what about a 70-year-old tanker? Or container ship? You could lose an entire rental car fleet, or have another Exxon Valdez.

I think it would take a Superferry years of abuse before it could do half of what that tanker did just last week off Kalaeloa.

Given the poll, I suppose I would be among the 80 percent disappointed. But I think the question should have allowed for people who are asking, "Why wasn't an EIS built into the master plan in the first place?" Well, more people should be asking that, anyway.

I also agree that the environmentalists are just an easy scapegoat. Behind every legislator pushing for this, you'll find ten "shipping companies, barge companies, airlines, car rental agencies, [and] taxi companies" for every long-haired hippie. In that sense, this is just business as usual for Hawaii politics.

Comment

My gut feeling is that the environmentalists are being used as the fall guy
      if this service falls through. As far as I understand an EIS was not required
      by the state. But I believe as more people became aware of the negative impacts of the Super Ferry, now your hearing all this rumbling. I believe
      an EIS should've been done from the get go even though it was not required.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

It probably doesn't matter to Mel. He probably doesn't care if
        he has to deal with an introduction of fire ants on Oahu.He just wants to have the capitalistic machine roll over everything.

This any many other examples are why an EIS should be done for the Super Ferry.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/01/e...exletters.html

Stinging insects could be Superferry riders
        The Hawaii Tribune Herald reported Feb. 13 that fruit pickers are fleeing fire ant stings in a Papaikou orchard. A home near the University of Hawaii in Hilo is one of more than 40 known fire ant sites in Hilo and Puna.

There are no approved pesticides for killing fire ants in edible fruit orchards. The tiny ants are even found in the fur of pets, where they can eventually cause blindness to the animals.

The ants are so small (about the thickness of a penny) they easily travel on plants, clothing, even pets, and could presumably hitch a ride in a car or truck.

This is just one exciting possibility that could be discussed by an Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed Superferry -- unless, of course, the business sweetheart deal being proposed allows the proponents to avoid following the law that requires the study.

Maybe saving a few bucks to drive a car around the state has some hidden costs. Maybe we should know more about them before signing a deal. Maybe we should follow the law, instead of being panicked into thinking the first offer is the last and only one.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Why use my name in your post Aaron? You know my view. Build it and I will ride. I'm with the 80% majority on this. All kinds of stuff can move between the islands with the modes of transport we already have... barges, planes, ships, etc. We are only talking about 2 more ships. No big deal. Of course you are already set in your views as being with the obstructionist environmental whackos, and well that is what you want then that is what you'll get... nothing, because the whackos like you want to stop prgoress and economic relief from happening in Hawaii. Typical liberal viewpoint.

__________________________________________________ _____

Caution: This is a liberal inundation zone.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I was just stating fact that you don't care if alien species get transported
            to other islands. I disagree that other modes of transport can do the same
            damage. It seems you don't get it. I'll be telling you "I told you so" when
            my prognoscations come true.

You do realize you are not the only person living on this planet. I hope you
            do as your me, me,me,me attitude is very annoying. I would like to have
            the Super Ferry happen, but not at the expense of the environment or
            the people living on each island.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
              I was just stating fact that you don't care if alien species get transported
              to other islands. I disagree that other modes of transport can do the same
              damage. It seems you don't get it. I'll be telling you "I told you so" when
              my prognoscations come true.

You do realize you are not the only person living on this planet. I hope you
              do as your me, me,me,me attitude is very annoying. I would like to have
              the Super Ferry happen, but not at the expense of the environment or
              the people living on each island.

You know if you don't want to have anything to do with me you can always do the following:

1. Add me to your IGNORE list (I think I and all of my posts are forever blocked from your view as you activate this option).

2. Do not send me any more private messages.

3. Do not send me anymore emails.

That will solve your problem with me.

As for the alien spieces, it did not take a Superferry to introduce fire ants to the big island. It did not take a Superferry to introduce the Koki Frog to the islands. It did not take the Superferry to introduce miconia to the islands. It did not take the Superferry to introduce dengue fever carrying mosquitoes to the islands. It did not take the Superferry to introduce mongoose to the islands. All of these came in by different modes of transport. Superferry or not, these will still come in.... boat, barge, planes, mail, containers, whatever. Doesn't take a Superferry to bring em in or transport em to other islands.

For you death to the Superferry is all you want given your whacko agenda and thinking. Sorry the majority of the people want the superferry but the environmentalists who have the most zeal to defeat it will definitely do so if they have their way.

I guess its tough crap for Hawaii again.

Another nail in Hawaii's ongoing reputation of one of the worst places in the United States to do business.

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

By the way, I have nothing personally to gain from having a superferry around. All it does is offer people another choice of transport between the islands.

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Better yet, I won't post here anymore. How does that suit you.
                  You win...I lose just what you wanted.

Besides that I tried to put you on ignore, I cannot since your
                  a moderator.
                  Last edited by Aaron S; March 1, 2005, 01:47 PM.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, as I mentioned above, if you know what you're going to get, why bother attempting responding at all? Besides, Mel might consistently blast any dissenting view as that of a brick-lobbing liberal, but you've called him out, too. Whether or not you can make his views vanish, you control whether or not to reply.

I want the superferry. I also think a decent EIS should be conducted, and I remain baffled over why one wasn't even undertaken before the process got this far. This view doesn't make me a capitalist or a liberal, just a reasonable person with an opinion.

I think "cross contamination" - be it human and vehicle traffic, or fire ants - is an important concern. But even you posted early on in this very thread about the precautions the superferry program plans to enact, and - somewhere in his tunnel-visioned ramblings - Mel makes a decent point that a ferry is the least of our worries when it comes to foreign pests. All sorts of bugs come over in containers, hiding in couches and beds from Arizona. Snakes probably fall out of jumbo jet wheel-wells on a weekly basis. Is it something to ignore with the superferry project? No. Is it a looming disaster? No.

See? Thoughtful, non-tunnelvisioned discussion is possible. Don't leave the whole board. Just be more selective in who you bother to discuss things with.

Comment

I sent in testimony to the Senate Transportation Committee in opposition to SB 1785 and in support of the Hawaii Superferry.

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        See? Thoughtful, non-tunnelvisioned discussion is possible. Don't leave the whole board. Just be more selective in who you bother to discuss things with.

Unless I can block Mel, I'm going to ask to be removed from here. I have bit my tongue long enough.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                          Unless I can block Mel, I'm going to ask to be removed from here. I have bit my tongue long enough.

why dontcha block him with yer own will and selective powers of control?
                          You see his posts: just ignore them.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            why dontcha block him with yer own will and selective powers of control?
                            You see his posts: just ignore them.

I wish it was that easy.....like I said I bit my tongue long enough.

Edit: Issue has been resolved, I'm staying put..
                            Last edited by Aaron S; March 2, 2005, 04:25 PM.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

The bill in question that would've required an EIS for the Super Ferry was killed in the legislature today.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X