Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Cisco's worth a hell of a lot more than Apple, and Cisco is still trying to keep up with Microsoft. So if Cisco can eventually "take over" everything but the computer (hardware) part of Apple, that would be a good thing for them. They need to look for ways to break into the consumer market. Right now, most of their business is in the business sector.

Miulang

Uh..maybe years ago that might have been true... Maybe Apple should be buying Cisco. (not that i would ever want Apple to do that)

Apple's Market Cap: $151 billion
    Cisco's Market Cap: $129 billion
    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I'm going to go for the 2.0 upgrade and see how it goes with my 8G as I slowly explore the APP store. I might take them up on the offer to get the new iPhone if I feel the need. I wonder how long they'll dangle that carrot? I have 2.7 GB remaining/available.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

In another thread I occasionally post polls from CNN.com's website, but I figured this one should be posted here.
        From a few minutes ago:
        Do you have, or do you plan to buy, an iPhone?

Yes... 13%... 21,237

No... 87%... 138,994

Total Votes: 160,231

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
          I think you just justified the price increase yourself. The $10 is to upgrade from EDGE (dial-up) to 3G (broadband).
          That spiel only makes sense to current iPhone and 2G handset owners. I already have unlimited mobile broadband and 200 text messages for $19/mo. A service downgrade for $10 more a month? No thanks ... not unless the 3G iPhone includes personal cloaking technology or a transporter.
          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
            That spiel only makes sense to current iPhone and 2G handset owners. I already have unlimited mobile broadband and 200 text messages for $19/mo. A service downgrade for $10 more a month? No thanks ... not unless the 3G iPhone includes personal cloaking technology or a transporter.
            That spiel? you're the one who said how dramatic the difference was between 2G and 3.5G

Also the new 2.0 software has AIM as a app. you can text aim buddies or send SMS through it with no SMS charges.

Comment

"Spiel" as in any AT&T rep will tell you that it's $10 more for 3G service on the new iPhone.
              The point I was making is that AT&T already offers 3G service to non-iPhoners at $15/mo (I pay $19.99/mo for my bundle w/200 txts). So yeah, they lure you in with the pretty OS, large screen and promise of better Internet surf, but you get stuck paying $10-15 more than every other iPhone-less 3G subscriber as the cost of 3G iPhone ownership. I'm sure it goes toward the subsidy AT&T must be extending to new subscribers/iPhone buyers, but I prefer to pay a little more up front than to get hit on the monthly.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                "Spiel" as in any AT&T rep will tell you that it's $10 more for 3G service on the new iPhone.
                The point I was making is that AT&T already offers 3G service to non-iPhoners at $15/mo (I pay $19.99/mo for my bundle w/200 txts). So yeah, they lure you in with the pretty OS, large screen and promise of better Internet surf, but you get stuck paying $10-15 more than every other iPhone-less 3G subscriber as the cost of 3G iPhone ownership. I'm sure it goes toward the subsidy AT&T must be extending to new subscribers/iPhone buyers, but I prefer to pay a little more up front than to get hit on the monthly.
                Comparing a MediaNet plan to a full data plan is not comparing apples to apples. Even the Blackberry plan is $30 for data.

Also with the 3G iPhones plans you can get your FAN discount, which you couldn't get with the 2G plans. if you work for the GOVT the disc is 25% off the total bill. Some 2G customer will actually be saving money by upgrading to the new 3G plans (since they didn't offer FAN discs on 2G plans)

Most major employers and schools have a FAN account, a lot of people don't realize it.

Comment

I went to meet PZ at Ala Moana (Apple Store). Found him right in front of the store in line with many others. I went to get him breakfast at Mcdonalds. When I came back the line was reaching the Ala Moana Center Stage area. Ukapila people! Apple Store are well organized. They provided StarBucks Coffee.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Waiting in line for a brand new iPhone, new Mac or whatever is silly. The same items will be on sale tomorrow, next week, next month, Christmas and next year.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      Waiting in line for a brand new iPhone, new Mac or whatever is silly. The same items will be on sale tomorrow, next week, next month, Christmas and next year.
                      Life is SHORT.

If you have the time and kala to do what you want to do...why not?

You know song:
                      "If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
                      If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain.
                      If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape.
                      I'm the lady you've looked for, write to me, and escape."

Have a great day Mel!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I know some iPhone people who stood in line LAST YEAR on the first day, bought their expensive iPhones only to see Apple lower the prices in about 3 to 4 months. Many were not happy.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I know some iPhone people who stood in line LAST YEAR on the first day, bought their expensive iPhones only to see Apple lower the prices in about 3 to 4 months. Many were not happy.
                          Yeah. But the high and personal satisfaction they got on the day they bought it was ohhhh so good. People grumble foa all kinds of things.

It's human nature.

The line is moving along and people are still going in line.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            Yeah. But the high and personal satisfaction they got on the day they bought it was ohhhh so good.
                            If people have the money and can afford it and not have buyers remorse after the prices go down later (probably not happening with the 3G iPhone), then fine.

Just reminding people here to remember what happened with the first generation iPhone.

And the MacBook Air.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

If people have the money and can afford it and not have buyers remorse after the prices go down later (probably not happening with the 3G iPhone), then fine.
                              The term "buyers' remorse" has been N/A for quite some time in this high-tech world. I'll be on the outside looking in while the pzarquons (and 1stwahines) of that world go on their buying sprees. I'll putt putt along with my G4 iBook and no cell phone, ignoring most "Apple Announcements."
                              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                                I'll putt putt along with my G4 iBook and no cell phone, ignoring most "Apple Announcements."
                                I'm happily putt-putting around with my Power Mac 733 mhz G4 tower, iBook 700mhz G3 laptop (both running some version of Mac OSX) and my 180mhz 603ev Powerbook laptop running Classic Mac OS 8.6 off a compact flash drive. The two laptops I bought used a few years ago and am happy with them, while the G4 ranks as my last brand new computer purchase I made back in 2001.

Back then there was no Apple Store and definitely no iPhone. Macs running on Intel and dual booting into Windoze were unheard of. The good ol' days and I still live it. Definitely cheaper than being caught on the expensive, annual upgrade train.

Retro Macs live on!

I'm also in the minority ranks of "no cell phone ownership" and proud of it!
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X