Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor man's meals

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    How about a plantation staple of hotonboogiboogi that obachun used to make? Squash could be easily grown in the garden. So, the squash could be deseeded, cut into little pieces and stir fried with canned corned beed with some kind of cooking oil or broth. But, I don't know how much local squash cost now at the market.
    Funny you should mention this. I just made a dish I remembered from childhood--canned salmon and squash. My Mom (who is near 90) used to make this a long time ago and I loved it. I've not had this since childhood and have never come across it ever since. I couldn't figure out how she made it. I think I botched it, but it still tasted good, served over rice. Anyone else remember a local-style, economy dish, using squash? I have a feeling it was used a lot long ago.

Comment

cyn: your dish sounds delicious. i'd have to swap out the chicarrones though for probably the chicken.

now, what i didn't know was that fish sauce came in different grades just like olive oil. i made a thai veggie dish using long green beans, tomatoes, grilled eggplant, cilantro, sugar, lime juice and the thai version of the fish sauce. minuse the eggplant, cilantro, sugar and lime juice and use the patis; wouldn't that make it more filipino?

honoruru: here's my easy version of squash soup:
      2 squash (the green one) peeled and seeded. then cut into bite size pieces
      pork cut up into small pieces and saute it in garlic
      1 piece of salted turnip sliced

bring a pot of water to boil add the salted turnip and bring back to boil. add pork and squash. do not over cook. i've added onions and shiitake mushrooms on occasion, but that's optional. serve with rice if you like.
      Last edited by kani-lehua; July 1, 2008, 07:20 PM.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Another cheap meal is to mix a can of tuna (drained) with 4 eggs, and pour into patties in a hot greased skillet (like you are making pancakes). Cook on both sides and then top with some cheese. Serve with rice.
        Mmmm Mmmm.
        Serves 2.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          Another simple version is to take your washed uncooked rice and add a can of vegetable soup instead of some of the water, cover and cook over the fire. (Just make sure that the soup + water equals the amount of pure water you would add if making regular rice.)

This can be done in a rice cooker, too.
          Another variation of this which is incredible tasting is to use a can of consomme' in place of water. my mother used to use a baking pan, put rice, consomme can, water and ham slices and bake.
          n'importe

Comment

I like to make Cheater Shepherd's Pie. Brown up some ground beef with garlic and onion, mix in a can of vegetable soup, spread the mixture in a baking dish and top with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese, then bake until the cheese has melted.

I also like to fry potatoes up with vinegar and garlic and onion. Sometimes I'll add cabbage.
            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
              Another variation of this which is incredible tasting is to use a can of consomme' in place of water. my mother used to use a baking pan, put rice, consomme can, water and ham slices and bake.
              Another version:
              Place washed uncooked rice in baking dish, cover with water, add layer of pork chops, top with can of cream of mushroom soup. bake.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

When I was in a "down" (poverty) period MANY years ago, I used to stop on my way home (to a $10/week room-for-rent, which tells you how long ago it was) at a Chinese restaurant and get a quart of rice for a quarter and then at the market for a $10-cent can of sardines. What more could you ask for?!

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                  Another version:
                  Place washed uncooked rice in baking dish, cover with water, add layer of pork chops, top with can of cream of mushroom soup. bake.
                  or if you want to really get the price down, use chicken wings or legs. I love cream of mushroom soup with chicken baked in it.
                  n'importe

Comment

The ol' tuna with onions is a quick easy cheap meal. Flavored with shoyu and sugar - yum. And if I want to get fancy, I'll add any green vegetable in the fridge, usually zuchini or bell peppers.

By the way, anyone notice how Coral Tuna cans are now only half-filled? I opened a couple of cans the other day and noticed how little there was. The can size was the same as ever, but instead of being about 3/4 filled with tuna, it was barely only half-filled. Gee...

Comment

I had grilled cheese for breakfast, PB&J for lunch. pifftastic.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by almond mocha View Post
                        The ol' tuna with onions is a quick easy cheap meal. Flavored with shoyu and sugar - yum. And if I want to get fancy, I'll add any green vegetable in the fridge, usually zuchini or bell peppers.

By the way, anyone notice how Coral Tuna cans are now only half-filled? I opened a couple of cans the other day and noticed how little there was. The can size was the same as ever, but instead of being about 3/4 filled with tuna, it was barely only half-filled. Gee...
                        exactly! manufacturers are making things smaller and charging the same price. take for instance, cereal.

cream of mushroom soup with anything is good, imo and, since we're talking about tuna, make cream tuna and add peas. sometimes i use green beans. and, we haven't had AM's tuna and onions that way in a long time. sounds good.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

hey, spam & cabbage, how much more local do you want? It's cheap and yummy,.....kinda

Comment

Working...
                          X